PDA

View Full Version : Canon G5 Outline Shadow indoors

lundrog
05-27-2006, 03:29 PM
I have a Canon G5 and I have noticed some outline shadows indoors when useing Program mode with everything on auto.

On this link pictures 1 and 3 display this.

http://r0ger.homedns.org:11000/

If anyone knows what I can do to correct this in the future that would be great.

Thanks.

David Metsky
05-27-2006, 04:03 PM
It's the shadow from the flash. If you want to eliminate it you'll need to stop using the flash or set up your subjects in a way that there's no wall close behind them.

-dave-

AlexMonro
05-27-2006, 04:05 PM
It looks like flash shadow, caused by the flash not being on the same axis as the lens, but above & to the left, so causing shadows to the right & below the subject.

I see from reviews that the G5 seems to have a flash hotshoe directly above the lens axis, so if you mounted an external flash there, it would eliminate the side shadow, and the remaining bottom shadow wouldn't be very noticeable.

lundrog
05-28-2006, 01:11 AM
I will look into the 430 flash for canon's and do those bouncers work well in a situation like this?

AlexMonro
05-28-2006, 01:50 AM
Bounce flash will soften the light and definitely help with the shadows, but it can be trickier setting up and depends on the right conditions (low, white ceiling helps).

lundrog
05-28-2006, 11:57 AM
What is the best way to remove these shadows on a computer?

Or is there no hope.

Turo
05-28-2006, 01:40 PM
What is the best way to remove these shadows on a computer?

Or is there no hope.

In the pictres you posted above, it wouldn't be too hard to clean up using software like Photoshop or GIMP (mainly since the background is one flat color). If the background was textured it would definitely get more tricky, but nothing is impossible. :)

EDIT: I was a little bored and messed around with the picture a bit in Photoshop. I am by no means an expert when it comes to this sort of thing, but it tured out o.k. I think. I removed the shadows generated by the people in picture 1, but left the one generated by the post on the right (candleholder I think?). It is interesting because with absolutely no shadow, the people look super-imposed onto the scene. I'm sure someone else may be able to do a better job of it than me. See attachment...

EDIT2: I resized the pic, didn't realize it was huge (I run my monitor at fairly hi-res, so its hard for me to notice)

lundrog
05-28-2006, 09:43 PM
What tools in photo shop did you use? Or does anyone know of any articles on this kind of thing?

I have taken photoshop classes in the past but on a older version.

Thanks

lundrog
07-24-2006, 04:43 AM
I believe I am going to get a Canon SLR.

Has anyone heard of they will be releasing a new version to replace the rebel XT soon or is now a good time to buy?

lundrog
07-28-2006, 07:33 AM
I just ordered a Canon Digital Rebel XT with a 430ex Speed Light.