PDA

View Full Version : add starlight camera to your "SUCKS LIST"

tonya
11-04-2004, 12:21 PM
first off thanks to the real people on this site who gave me a heads up on how some of the slease shops do business.

after searching for an a75 starlight (http://www.starlightcamera.com) had a great price and stated it was in stock.

rather than place the order online i called to speak with their "friendly, knowledgable staff". after getting to the sales department and asking if they had it in stock (he said yes), the staffer rudely asked "so what are you gonna do about memory"? i told him i was just going to use what came with the camera and he then just said "that's no good, it's out of stock" and hung up.

i tried calling back and keyed into the customer service dept to speak to a customer service mgr, but the same guy picked up and just hung up on me.

hey i know you have to make a profit to stay in business, but these jerks are just bait and switch if you ask me.

ok there's my 2 cents and i'm done ranting. thanks again to the people who contribute to this forum

haikai
11-04-2004, 03:18 PM
hey i know you have to make a profit to stay in business, but these jerks are just bait and switch if you ask me.

ok my 2 cents and i'm done ranting. thanks again to the people who contribute to this forum

i remember i considered ordering from this place, but the whole site seemed too sketchy. all these low price camera places are pretty much the same and i really can not believe they are able to remain in business.

after trying to order from at least 3 of these kinds of places and having them all insist that i call them back to "confirm" an order (doubtlessly trying to initiate that bait and switch thing), i decided to just pay a little more and get my camera from a place i trust (and doesn't try to charge me $30-40 to ship a small camera via ground!). all these low-price stores have ruined my impression of New York camera retailers.

i hope you've filed a complaint with the bbb or something. :p

hai

hypello
11-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Hey, the BBB really gets things done!

Pderbidge
11-19-2004, 11:02 AM
first off thanks to the real people on this site who gave me a heads up on how some of the slease shops do business.

after searching for an a75 starlight (http://www.starlightcamera.com) had a great price and stated it was in stock.

rather than place the order online i called to speak with their "friendly, knowledgable staff". after getting to the sales department and asking if they had it in stock (he said yes), the staffer rudely asked "so what are you gonna do about memory"? i told him i was just going to use what came with the camera and he then just said "that's no good, it's out of stock" and hung up.

i tried calling back and keyed into the customer service dept to speak to a customer service mgr, but the same guy picked up and just hung up on me.

ok my 2 cents and i'm done ranting. thanks again to the people who contribute to this forum

I had a friend who had bought from these guys who was happy with his purchase but as he told me his story I realized he got swindled by these guys. Of Course I didn't tell him what I thought because he was so happy. Here's what happened. He placed an online order. He then got an email that there was a problem with his order, they said he was missing the last 3 digits from his credit card, you know the 3 on the back. First of all I went through the online order process myself to check this out and they don't even ask for the last 3 digits when you place your order. This is where the bait comes in-- they need those 3 digits to finish your order just like any other online store does to verify the Credit Card, so this is how they get you to call them back. So my friend feels dumb that he made the mistake of not filling that in, when in reality is wasn't even there and the guy starts upselling him. He ends up purchasing $400 in extras and feels like he got a great deal, what can I say to him! After reading the post above, I decided to do the same thing and call and explain that I wanted to purchase a certain camera but I didn't want any accessories and guess what, the guy says that they are out of stock on the camera.

In contrast I placed an order with ButterflyPhoto, who did ask me to call them back because they had a promotion, they said, on accessories for the camera I purchased. They didn't push except for to continue to drop the price on the accessories until I knew it was a decent deal, and from checking around it was, so I did buy an extra memory card from them. The point is, however, if I really didn't need or want the extra memory card, the folks at Butterflyphoto.com would still have been o.k. with that, so cudos to Butterflyphoto.com. There is, however a 10% restocking fee on returns, but even with their restocking fees if you decide to exchange the camera for example like I did, you still come out cheaper than retail prices. So bottom line is, stay away from Starlight, and consider Butterflyphoto as long as you are aware of what I just mentioned and are willing to deal with a freindly sales call after your order. Just check around on prices of accessories that you may want to purchase so you get the best deal and don't get succered into higher priced accessories, because if I would have taken the first price offer they offered me, I would not have gotten a good deal on the accessories, so just be aware of that.

smarter_child
12-01-2004, 03:10 PM

Thanks in advance.

Most of the more reliable stores on the Internet are those that are certified at comparision shopping sites like BizRate and CNET Shopper.

Bagologist
12-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Starlight Cameras and Accessoriesland are one and the same and neither run an operation that I would call honest in their approach or their dealings.
If one does not buy all the "ADD_ONS" they will not honor an order that they have already accepted.

BCinDC
01-03-2005, 10:21 PM
I unfortunately didn't research this vendor before I bought. I ordered a camera online for my wife as a christmas present on a Saturday evening. I opted for 3-day FedEx to ensure that I had the camera before we left for vacation. On Wednesday, I received a call from AccessoriesLand (aka Starlight Camera) saying that they needed to confirm info on my credit card. I asked if that meant that the order I had paid extra for 3-day shipping for had not shipped yet, and the caller said it had not. I told him I wished that I had been told when I ordered that the item would not be shipped until they called, and he told me "I don't wan't to discuss this, your order is cancelled" (I wasn't yelling or being rude, btw). I then told him that I didn't want to cancel the order and he said, "its out of stock, we don't have it". I asked him what he meant and he repeated that they didn't have it and he hung up.

In retrospect, I'm just glad it didn't turn out worse, I was able to find the item for a bit more at a reputable dealer WITH a U.S. warranty (read the fineprint on their website, they say all items have U.S. or OTHER warranties - I don't recall the exact language but it was clear that cameras often DO NOT have U.S. warranties).

BE WARNED.

tonya
01-04-2005, 05:33 AM
i wish there was a way to out these sleaze bags more, or cause them the trouble they put us through.

i would like to stick their name on a spam list and let them deal with jerk companies just like them.

they seem to just feed off the unsuspecting and have shoddy business practices.

if you are buying something for a present or are under a tight time constraint, the last thing you need is the trouble of dealing with an a-hole business.

ok theres my rant for the day :) :D :p

LarryH
01-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Hey, the BBB really gets things done!

You got that right. Anybody that depends on the BBB for guidance might be in for a big surprise. My experience has been that a company's conduct has to be egregious PLUS well documented through the BBB's bureauracy to receive a report on their record; with an online deal that's rarely possible.

Conclusion: If a company has a bad rep with the BBB, THAT'S BAD. If they have no report, that means nothing.

John_Reed
01-04-2005, 02:47 PM
As usual, if you check first with http://www.resellerratings.com, you'll find this review. (http://www.resellerratings.com/seller4099.html)

ziptab
01-12-2005, 03:38 PM
Starlight Cameras and Accessoriesland are one and the same and neither run an operation that I would call honest in their approach or their dealings.
If one does not buy all the "ADD_ONS" they will not honor an order that they have already accepted.
I ordered a DSC T3 (on line) from accesoriesland......thinking this was a great deal. Then I got to thinking about the deal.........I didn't get a "confirmed" e-mail from them, like every other online shop sends out...... and ended up here in a search for info on the company. Sure enuf,I had a message on my answering machine today,to call them. I called and they were very polite and asked if I had any questions........just one and they answered it correctly. Then he went on a short speil on memory and I said I wouldn't need that. He gave me an order # and said it would be on it's way...... with no questions except to verify the shipping address.........that was it.....seems on the up and up...........so I guess we will see what the heck I end up getting ....... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ziptab
01-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Well,so far,I have got nothing :( No credit card billing ,no contact and no camera. Web site price has gone up a hundred bucks tho. Wonder if they think I will call in and ask what's up......and then try to sell me accessories? I think I will wait them out for a while yet....I've got the time........ :D :D

ktixx
01-29-2005, 12:08 AM
I have never used the company that you purchased your equipment from, but I have purchased a few things online. When I purchased my camera I bought it from www.digital1234.com they were rated highly and I would give them 5 out of 5 stars considering both products I ordered took only 3 days to recieve. Basically what I am getting at is, when I purchased my camera it didn't show up on my credit card until about 2 days after they shipped the camera and this company was very reputable. I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't seen it on your card, when I would start to worry, is if you see it on your card and you don't get a camera. No matter what, before you purchase your next piece of equipment online just make sure you check out the ratings websites (IE: www.resellerratings.com to name one). Good luck
Ken

Rhys
01-29-2005, 07:55 AM
Well,so far,I have got nothing :( No credit card billing ,no contact and no camera. Web site price has gone up a hundred bucks tho. Wonder if they think I will call in and ask what's up......and then try to sell me accessories? I think I will wait them out for a while yet....I've got the time........ :D :D

Nah. Don't waste money. Give it until the CC bill comes. Then if their bill is on the card, just dispute it as goods ordered but never supplied.

gary_hendricks
02-20-2005, 01:38 AM

ok there's my 2 cents and i'm done ranting. thanks again to the people who contribute to this forum

That's terrible. What is it with these sleaze shops. I'd pay more for places which are reputable.

ziptab
02-20-2005, 11:35 AM
AcessoriesLand never did come thru with anything on my order. Their web page price goes up and down by quite a bit. Trolling for new victims? ? I ordered a DSC-T1 from Digital Mega Store. No hassle,no call in....just an order confirmation e-mail and a shipment tracking e-mail......as it should be :) They were a little slow on shipping(about a week longer than my normal online buys) .....but from the reviews,I knew that going in.......so no big deal on my end. I would go with them again,if something comes up that I need/want. :) :)

ajua
02-21-2006, 04:28 AM
I bought a Nikon D100 from Starlight Camera http://www.starlightcamera.com of course as everyone says they are a bunch of scum bags advertising great sales price but nothing is included
I ended up buying the complete camera at no savings whatsoever for $ 1999.99 in December 2003

This past month while vacationing in Europe my camera got wet by the rain and a circuit got shorted out inside. Came back to the States, I took the camera to a reputable repair shop in San Antonio Texas "Havel Camera" they told me that the camera had to be sent out to the factory.

Nikon USA refused repairing the camera because it was ilegally sold to me in the USA.
They claimed this camera was sold on the Grey Market and they will not repair it whatsoever in the USA; they told me to report these bastards to the FBI which I did and I will keep you posted on any updates after this.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE BASTARDS they are SCUM BAGS, and they will sell you trash at over retail prices!

Any Comments?