PDA

View Full Version : IST DS2, DL2, K100D, K110D... Pentax wtf?

eduardofrances
05-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Is just me or pentax is like crazy when doing this announcments? firs the IST DS2 and DL2, then Samsung says they will market their cameras instead of pentax in America and Europe, then Pentax says they will Launch the K100D, K110D...(one with Shake reduction)
does this means that bye bye DS2 and DL2? what about the Pentax D 10 mpxl camera?... Jeeeeeeeeez :confused:

Rhys
05-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Pentax likes to sell the same camera with a different name and a different tweak every few months. Whether the usual suspects (Ricoh, Cosina, Mianda etc) will leap onto the K-mount bandwaggon remains to be seen. Personally, I'm somewhat tired of hearing Pentax bragging about another re-hash of the same old camera. If this 10mp camera ever materialises (which I doubt) then it'll probably get the same re-hash treatment for the next five years too.

bloomer
05-25-2006, 07:01 PM
I was told yesterday by the Australian agent for Pentax that the DS2 was a small-run model intended for limited distribution (and never for the Australian market). So I guess the DS2 may already have had its day (if the agent was correct).

eduardofrances
05-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Pentax likes to sell the same camera with a different name and a different tweak every few months. Whether the usual suspects (Ricoh, Cosina, Mianda etc) will leap onto the K-mount bandwaggon remains to be seen. Personally, I'm somewhat tired of hearing Pentax bragging about another re-hash of the same old camera. If this 10mp camera ever materialises (which I doubt) then it'll probably get the same re-hash treatment for the next five years too.

Well at least they droped the *IST ....... but yeah is kind of... "whatever dude keep calling whatever you want" they seem the same... I would want to see real improvements instead of reversion of the same camera over and over and over

Rhys
05-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Well at least they droped the *IST ....... but yeah is kind of... "whatever dude keep calling whatever you want" they seem the same... I would want to see real improvements instead of reversion of the same camera over and over and over

I liked the CF support on the *ist D. There was a lot to like about the D. The rest of the 6mp dSLRs of Pentax design seem very much to be experiments on what's popular. I'd guess that they find SD is the most popular because they keep using it. To be honest, although I have a shed load of CF cards ranging from 2 (defunct) 64mb cards through 8x 128mb, 2x 256mb, 1x512mb and 2x1GB, I have no great attraction to any particular card format. My laptop will read SD without an adaptor as it has an SD reader built in whereas I have to use a plug-in reader for CF. Other than that and the fact my PDA takes SD, I have no real use for SD. My cameras all take CF (all 4 of my cameras). While those work I'll keep on with CF. I won't (probably) buy more CF though as I have a Hyperdrive80 that I can simply offload the images to should my cards fill up. My Nikon 3100 is currently used for our ebay stuff. When that fails I'll probably use my 995 or my S1. When they fail then I might get another digital compact or perhaps if camera phones are good enough by then, use a camera phone.

CptOfGondor
05-27-2006, 11:17 PM
eduardo, calm down about the pentax dslr nomenclature and their 10mp dslr already! It's already be annouced at the 2k6 PMA. :D

Personally, I don't find "ist" particularly bad. Sure it may look 'weird' but its just one syllable, ('isT') or 3, (isT Dee El) :cool:

Look at the Canon EOS. I don't see anyone complaining about that name. To say 'EOS' means 2 or 3 syllables plus a pretty significant change in mouth shape to render the (EEE-OS) or the ('EE'-'OH'-'ES'). Now try saying EOS Rebel XT very fast.

(EEE-OS/EE-OH-SS) Reh-Bull-eX-Tea :eek:

Pentax 2006 PMA LineUp (http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/news/2006/200609.html)

The photo's been linked here at the forums before. Again there has not been an official name released although Samsung has annouced their new 10mp dSLR, the GX2. (Report can be found on LetsGoDigital). The thing is, this new GX2 looks exactly like the Pentax, rebadged. So let that be a sign that more info will come. Especially in a month or two's time as we approach the proposed autumn release date.

eduardofrances
06-11-2006, 10:47 PM
I liked the CF support on the *ist D. There was a lot to like about the D. The rest of the 6mp dSLRs of Pentax design seem very much to be experiments on what's popular. I'd guess that they find SD is the most popular because they keep using it. To be honest, although I have a shed load of CF cards ranging from 2 (defunct) 64mb cards through 8x 128mb, 2x 256mb, 1x512mb and 2x1GB, I have no great attraction to any particular card format. My laptop will read SD without an adaptor as it has an SD reader built in whereas I have to use a plug-in reader for CF. Other than that and the fact my PDA takes SD, I have no real use for SD. My cameras all take CF (all 4 of my cameras). While those work I'll keep on with CF. I won't (probably) buy more CF though as I have a Hyperdrive80 that I can simply offload the images to should my cards fill up. My Nikon 3100 is currently used for our ebay stuff. When that fails I'll probably use my 995 or my S1. When they fail then I might get another digital compact or perhaps if camera phones are good enough by then, use a camera phone.

I know I watched in the Net some SD to compact flash adapters but I cant remember where