PDA

View Full Version : another newbie

lesley
11-04-2004, 06:13 AM
Can any one point me to a site or link where I can find drivers for my Smart Media Card Reader. Made by SONIX model CR-T2-US.
I need drivers to get it to work using Windows XP.

Thanks to all in advance.
Lesley

judge9847
11-04-2004, 06:27 AM
Can any one point me to a site or link where I can find drivers for my Smart Media Card Reader. Made by SONIX model CR-T2-US.
I need drivers to get it to work using Windows XP. Thanks to all in advance.
Lesley
I did a Google search using "sonix drivers card reader" WITHOUT the quotation marks and it came up with this web site. (http://www.zynet.com.tw/download-cr-1.htm)

Looks like drivers are downloadable from there.

It does look as though there are no drivers for XP. The Windows 98 driver MAY work with XP - have you tried that already?

Billiam
11-04-2004, 06:42 PM
XP should support your reader without a driver. Take a look at the ad page from the same site noted above:

http://www.zynet.com.tw/download/DM/CR-T2.jpg

"No driver needed: win Me/2000/XP"

What happens when you plug it in?

judge9847
11-05-2004, 02:27 AM
XP should support your reader without a driver. Take a look at the ad page from the same site noted above:

http://www.zynet.com.tw/download/DM/CR-T2.jpg

"No driver needed: win Me/2000/XP"

What happens when you plug it in?
I'm certainly not saying that's untrue but I find it very difficult to believe that any device, when it's attached to a PC, doesn't need a driver of some sort. It would almost be miraculous if it's true so if someone could perhaps tell me how it might be done, I'd be grateful for a small amount of enlightenment.

In the meantime - and until I know otherwise - I'm suggesting that what's actually happening is a standard Windows driver (for card readers) that's supplied in XP is being used by the device, rather than it's own which from what I can see, doesn't exist.

lesley
11-05-2004, 09:36 AM
don't know what I did wrong to start with but my machine just wouldn't recognise what the new hardware was
Took the advice to plug it in again and see and guess what?
Worked first time without having to introduce any drivers
Ain't technology wonderful [when it works of course]
Thanks to all
Lesley

D70FAN
11-05-2004, 09:48 AM
don't know what I did wrong to start with but my machine just wouldn't recognise what the new hardware was
Took the advice to plug it in again and see and guess what?
Worked first time without having to introduce any drivers
Ain't technology wonderful [when it works of course]
Thanks to all
Lesley

For future reference: In many cases XP will not recognize a new USB device if it is present when you boot-up. i.e. if you plug in a new USB device and then turn on the computer.

If you unplug it, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in then XP sees the new device and loads the built-in standard driver.

Kind-of weird, but that's the way it works.

Billiam
11-05-2004, 05:09 PM
I'm certainly not saying that's untrue but I find it very difficult to believe that any device, when it's attached to a PC, doesn't need a driver of some sort. It would almost be miraculous if it's true so if someone could perhaps tell me how it might be done, I'd be grateful for a small amount of enlightenment.

In the meantime - and until I know otherwise - I'm suggesting that what's actually happening is a standard Windows driver (for card readers) that's supplied in XP is being used by the device, rather than it's own which from what I can see, doesn't exist.

You don't need to worry about drivers for IDE hard disks, right? Windoze has the drivers it needs to recognize and cope with them. Same with flash card readers under XP. No manuafacturer's driver needed.

judge9847
11-06-2004, 09:10 AM
You don't need to worry about drivers for IDE hard disks, right? Windoze has the drivers it needs to recognize and cope with them. Same with flash card readers under XP. No manuafacturer's driver needed.
You don't WORRY about drivers for IDE disks, true, but that's not to say the don't NEED a driver - that's a misleading statement.

As to the comment that Windows has the drivers it needs ... that's exactly my point. A driver IS needed, even though it MIGHT be the one supplied by Windows. Your original post was "No driver needed: win Me/2000/XP" and that's simply not correct. And you can't have it both ways and say on the one hand a driver isn't needed and then say on the other that Windows has all the drivers it needs. That's just nonsense.

On top of that, my experience with native Windows drivers (over far too mnay years) is that they leave a lot to be desired. Microsoft supply the basics and no more than that. You wouldn't use the Windows supplied driver for your new, gleaming photo printer would you? You'd use the one supplied with the gear you bought - or suffer the consequences. You wouldn't use the basic Windows drivers for your broadband modem because there's a better than average chance you'd never get the optimum connection or even one at all.

Every device NEEDS a driver - fact.