PDA

View Full Version : Could someone please explain these Rebel XT prices?

ronnccox
05-24-2006, 06:59 PM
If something's too good to be true...

http://www.shopcartusa.com/Product/0206b001/Electronics~Cameras~Digital_Cameras/Canon_Digital_Rebel_XT_-_Body_Only/

I have looked all over the net for a Rebel XT and the cheapest I found from an online store that I've dealt with was like $658 pre $100 rebate from 42nd Street Photo. Then I happened upon ShopCartUSA. Now, I had a bad experience with Broadway photo...but are most of these other online stores a joke or what? Seems fishy. $429 (after rebate) for a Rebel XT? Would you please offer any advice about your dealings with some of these stores, as I'm about 2 weeks away from buying. Thanks for your time!

Chris

aparmley
05-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Pick it up from NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830120029)

I've spent thousands of dollars with them and they are highly reputable. You'll love the overall experience. Plus, there is an additional $100 off MIR - but I hate those and wouldn't send it in anyway - they usually require you to cut out the UPC thus negating the possibility of a return should you find a flaw after you mail in the rebate. . . But still $689 body only is a good deal from a very reputable business.

michaelb
05-25-2006, 07:51 AM
Here are the reviews for your $429 seller....don't even think about it.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1795.html

Buy form someone reputable.

I agree with Aparmley, Newegg is excellent. I purchased my XT from Beach Camera and was very satisified with the service - my camera arrived in 2 days with tracking info!! But they do have a restocking fee if you return!! Read the fine print and buy from a seller with good ratings!!!

See this forum on reputable sellers:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14677

Rhys
05-25-2006, 08:45 AM
If you can support an independent brick and mortar shop then do so. These online traders can be a dubious bunch.

aparmley
05-25-2006, 09:17 AM
If you can support an independent brick and mortar shop then do so. These online traders can be a dubious bunch.

For $900 bucks you gotta be kidding.

ronnccox
05-25-2006, 09:24 AM
I think I'll stick with 42nd Street since I've had good experinces with them. Why is it that, even briefly, I was willing to forgo reason and experience for the possibility of saving a little money? Haha. Typical dumb human behavior. Thanks for the resellerrating link. A lot of horror stories on there. I'd like to punch the putz who claims to be "Jenny from Dayton" or whoever that's writing all those fictitious praises.

cdifoto
05-25-2006, 09:46 AM

Agreed. I supported my local camera shop a couple times and got hosed on pricing with each transaction. I decided to buy my Tamrac bag there...$30 higher than online! I have to take a huge hit on reselling it to make it even remotely appealing. My local shop also wanted 200 bucks for a no-name unknown quality 86mm CPL for Bigma - and it woulda been a pre-order. I got one online for $30. I can pre-order my own crap, thanks. heh. Not to mention they only have slow consumer lenses.

Anyhow, I can only justify supporting my local shop with grey cards, lens pens, pec-pads, and cleaning fluids. On those things they're pretty competitive with online - and it's hard for me to pay shipping on those things. If I can toss it in with a bigger order I'll get it online.

/rant

JTL
05-25-2006, 10:28 AM
HA, HA, HA!!! HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA!!!!!!!

My local camera store is B&H! HA, HA, HA! :D :D :D :p :p :p

cdifoto
05-25-2006, 10:29 AM

shuddup. :p

aparmley
05-25-2006, 12:09 PM

I support the very same brick and mortar store - just not in my neighborhood. ;)

a race fan
05-25-2006, 01:05 PM

Not trying to start anything as I'm new here, especially new at posting, but I just got a Canon EOS 30D and bits...

I bought local (instead of at BHPhotovideo.com) and spent a grand total of ~$185.00 more.
Camera was $100.00 more
Bag was $20 .00 more (not on sale like at BH)
F-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro was $70.00 more
bought UV clear filters for lenses (x3) was $3.00 less
Cards were virtually identical...

but what I got was a shop that know my name and I can take myself in there for personal help.
Not trying to flame anyone, but you can find good deals and support a local shop that could "have your back" when you need them. Another plus is they are a Canon authorized dealer, all that means is I can have them ship the 30D to Canon for me (if it needs it) :D

Good luck with wherever you buy from... I bought some Star Wars posters online for my sons room and it took over 5 months to get them...:confused:
You just never know... and for $200 bones it was worth me holding it and feeling it before plopping down my (almost 2 years worth of) savings.;)

ronnccox
05-25-2006, 03:51 PM
...you can find good deals and support a local shop that could "have your back" when you need them. Another plus is they are a Canon authorized dealer...

You've mentioned some of my sentiments too about buying locally. Right now, my goal is to buy the XT, 16-35mm f/2.8L and the 70-200mm f/4L, and I really want to support my local store, but...

Local Store: $750 for XT and $1600 for the 16-35 (taxes and rebate incl.)

Legit online store: $575 and $1300 (shipping and rebate included)

That's a difference of $475, which is getting really close to the price of the 70-200 f/4L.

I've tried to get them to meet me halfway on the price (or even lower it a little), but the sales guy pretty much called any store online a gray market merchant, which is pretty insulting.

24Peter
05-25-2006, 03:54 PM
You have to pay NY sales tax - HA, HA, HA!!! HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA!!!!!!! I don't ;)

aparmley
05-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Not trying to start anything as I'm new here, especially new at posting, but I just got a Canon EOS 30D and bits...

I bought local (instead of at BHPhotovideo.com) and spent a grand total of ~$185.00 more.
Camera was $100.00 more
Bag was $20 .00 more (not on sale like at BH)
F-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro was $70.00 more
bought UV clear filters for lenses (x3) was $3.00 less
Cards were virtually identical...

but what I got was a shop that know my name and I can take myself in there for personal help.
Not trying to flame anyone, but you can find good deals and support a local shop that could "have your back" when you need them. Another plus is they are a Canon authorized dealer, all that means is I can have them ship the 30D to Canon for me (if it needs it) :D

Good luck with wherever you buy from... I bought some Star Wars posters online for my sons room and it took over 5 months to get them...:confused:
You just never know... and for $200 bones it was worth me holding it and feeling it before plopping down my (almost 2 years worth of) savings.;)

Congrats and way to go - but thats all relative. . . My local stores still charge 900 bucks for a 700 dollar camera. - ok that just blew your 185 dollar savings out of the water - They charge 100 and something for a 60 dollar CF card. . . Their lens prices are all bout 150-400 dollars more expensive - the 70-200 2.8 IS is like 1999. vs 1599 online. . . Plus these people try to sell you compressed air to clean your sensor! LOL - "Submit order" for me ;)

Thats my market - your market obviously is better so consider yourself lucky.

cdifoto
05-25-2006, 04:21 PM
One of the guys at my shop told me he never uses the histogram to check his exposure. He goes by whether or not it looks good on his camera's LCD screen.

I haven't asked for advice or made any purchases since.

JTL
05-25-2006, 04:50 PM
You have to pay NY sales tax - HA, HA, HA!!! HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA!!!!!!! I don't ;)You got me there! :D

When I need something quick (like my 430EX) I run over to B&H, buy it, and sacrifice the tax for the convenience. But, it's true, Beach and others get most my other purchases for the tax reason. But I can play with all the toys I want over at B&H, all day long if I want. And there is nothing they they don't have.

"How are you today sir? What's that? You want to try that $7,000.00 1Ds MII with that $7,000.00 600mm f/4L IS? No problem! Let me set that up for you!"

It's better than going to an amusement park...

aparmley
05-25-2006, 05:08 PM
One of the guys at my shop told me he never uses the histogram to check his exposure. He goes by whether or not it looks good on his camera's LCD screen.

I haven't asked for advice or made any purchases since.

LOL - Histo-what?