PDA

View Full Version : Pentax K100D and K110D Press Release!

CptOfGondor
05-22-2006, 06:03 PM
This just in! Since so many of you are asking about upcoming Pentax dSLRs, here's the link.

Pentax K100D and K110D Press Release (http://www.pentaximaging.com/footer/news_media_article?ArticleId=7717552)

Pentax K100D and K110D HiRez Photos (http://www.pentaxtech.com/Press/pressfiles.html)

In short, the new K100D has the "SR" Shift Reduction mechanisms also found in the Optio A10. (K110D = K100D w/o SR) Bascially it shifts the CCD to counter hand shake. This is much more cost efficient than trying to implement optical image stabilizers into the interchangeable lenses. Kinda like what Konica Minolta use to have in their dSLRs.

I guess for the most part, it sounds a lot more familiar to the ear. Those of you who have known or owned the famous K1000 would know. LoL. Anyways, its the same *ist Digital(DS,DS2,DL,DL2) body save some added curvature here and there. What still bogs me is the persistence to use a pentamirror instead of the pentaprism that made Pentax what it was. (pentaprism reflex) Its probably to save money (probably not much) and keeps it consistent with today's budget entry level SLRs.

(My MZ-M has a pentamirror and its nothing compared to the prism on the ME.)

About the new DA-21mm (31.5equiv) pancake, it comes with a $550US price tag...where as the K110D + 18-55mm kit is scheduled to go for $599US...LoL...Don, where are you? Like seriously? How many pieces of glass could there possibly be on a pancake lens? LoL.

Opinions?

jeisner
05-22-2006, 06:53 PM
I am a little pissed that they replaced both the DS(2) and DL(2) with cameas with a viewfinder as small as the DL(2) (and most other brand entry level DSLRs) this WAS what seperated Pentax from the rest, and they dropped it.. very very bad move IMHO...

Good news - in part..
Even though they are still using the 6mp sensor, apparently the JPEG performance is greatly improved, and SR is added..

I think I will wait for the new D replacement at the end of the year though, if they hadn't dropped the viewfinder size I may have bought the K100 (maybe that is their plan ;-)

About the new DA-21mm (31.5equiv) pancake, it comes with a $550US price tag...where as the K110D + 18-55mm kit is scheduled to go for $599US...LoL...Don, where are you? Like seriously? How many pieces of glass could there possibly be on a pancake lens? LoL.

There is a tiny amount of glass, that has to be made to MUCH tighter tollerances in order to get a good quality lens.. I am not surprised at all at the price of this lens considering its size...

bloomer
05-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Now doesn't this make things confusing!

I spent part of this afternoon trawling local camera shops (in Melbourne, AU) to see if anyone had news of the DS2. Nup. Apart from a few grey imports, no-one even has it in their catalogue systems yet. Nor does anyone have stock of the Samsung GX1S, though at least it appeared in their catalogues (A$1500 kit).

One major retailer (note to jeisner: Ted's) claimed the DS2 would be released as a "K100", but given this thread, it seems they had things a bit confused.

And all that confounds my choice of a camera further:( Big viewfinder sounded good. Back to the DS or up to the K1xxx...

CptOfGondor
05-24-2006, 06:39 PM
The DS2 and the K100D are different cameras. LoL.

Yea, most camera shops don't carry anything beyond the XT/D50/*ist DL interms of SLRs and only the Kits lenses and maybe the 50-200s. Most carry the semi-current selection of digicams and thats aobut it.

Most employees don't know anything else from what their boss has told them. Anyhow, I guess I can't really blame them because in a shopping mall, not many people walk in and those that do, only a select few individuals even ask about SLRs.

halcb
05-26-2006, 07:56 AM
So am I correct in assuming that the K100D is basically just the ist DS w/shake reduction? is it the same sensor? or have they improved the sensor? Forgive me if these questions have already been raised and answered. [Seems like the answer is "yes" to my first and second questions above, but I want to be certain...]

What does jeisner mean about the jpeg performance being improved -- just better in-camera processing (as opposed to an entirely new sensor)?

I love the idea of built-in SR, but are they going to increase from 6.1 to 8.0 or 10.0 on the resolution? Or does one have to buy a medium-format Pentax?

I'm confused; some of it is my own ignorance, but some of it I blame on Pentax!:confused:
Thanks for indulging my questions, y'all!

ciao

CptOfGondor
05-26-2006, 10:17 PM
It might be a DS w/ SR but also note the loss of the pentaprism. That disappoints me.

As for megapixel count, I think as long is its good, there's probably no need for more mega pixels. You probably won't notice an addition of 2.1 to the megapixel count anyways right? I guess Pentax decided 6.1 was an optimial number for the sensor size and stuffing more could jeopardize the image quality. I know there's the 8.2MP APS-C from Canon but maybe Pentax doesn't want to risk it or in their tests, 8.2MP was not necessary/worthwhile option.