PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help/advice

ksteintrager
11-03-2004, 02:32 PM
I just bought a Canon Powershot A75. I have always just taken point and shot 35mm pictures. I am getting ready to go to Disney for a week and need to know what size compactflash I should buy and what setting for my resolution (I think that is what it is called.) The default is large normal. A tech suggested super fine or fine. I have no idea. I just want to take pictures that I can get developed later if I want into regular 4 x6 pictures just like my 35mm. I know I need a bigger memory card but have no idea how big, what kind, etc. I would appreciate any help.

TIA,
Kirsten

D70FAN
11-03-2004, 03:42 PM
I just bought a Canon Powershot A75. I have always just taken point and shot 35mm pictures. I am getting ready to go to Disney for a week and need to know what size compactflash I should buy and what setting for my resolution (I think that is what it is called.) The default is large normal. A tech suggested super fine or fine. I have no idea. I just want to take pictures that I can get developed later if I want into regular 4 x6 pictures just like my 35mm. I know I need a bigger memory card but have no idea how big, what kind, etc. I would appreciate any help.

TIA,
Kirsten

You should shoot in the best (JPEG) resolution possible, as you never know when you might want to make a bigger print. I think this is Large Superfine on the A75.

A week at Disneyland/Disneyworld is about 1200 frames worth (170 a day avg. x 7 days). If you are taking a computer to download, then a couple of 256MB cards will work if you download each day (about 320 frames capacity). Otherwise 3 or 4, 512MB, cards should suffice (about 1280 frames). If you plan to use the movie mode then add another 512 or shift up to 1GB.

At this point the memory cards equal almost what you paid for the camera, but you will use them on future vacations and cameras so it's probably worth the investment.

Incidently cheap cards work fine. If you live near a Fry's then you can find 512MB PQI (and Kingston) for $35 after rebate. Unfortunately the rebates are generally only good for 1 card.

These guys have pretty good prices and free shipping to boot:

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/memory.html

This is a brick-and-mortar in Santa Clara, CA. I have purchased many items from them and have been 99.9% satisfied.

Good hunting.

Jim Last
11-04-2004, 01:08 AM
Just a note on using 1GB cards. If you have a fault or loose one then thats all your pics gone at once. I would really reccommend using a number of 256 MB cards versus 1 x 1GB.

Although aimed at SD cards for the Panasonic FZ's this thread (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1984) may help :)