PDA

View Full Version : Canon S1 v Nikon 5700

Rhys
07-02-2004, 11:05 AM
I'm thinking about getting another digital camera.

Sure... I could go for a DSLR but I don't feel that it would be a wonderful investment as most of my photography falls into the 35 - 300mm range.

I'm tempted by the S1 because of its 10x zoom lens. I'm tempted by the 5700 because of its 8x zoom lens.

The Canon gives me a longer zoom and AA batteries. The 5700 gives me less of a zoom but more megapixels and takes the 2CR5 in addition to the standard ENEL1 battery.

Build quality on the Canon seems shoddy. Build quality on the Nikon seems pretty good.

For the Canon:
AA batteries, long zoom, Compact Flash, compact size, great movie mode, lower price.

For the Nikon:
2CR5 / ENEL1, more megapixels, Compact FLash, better build quality, movie mode that produces emailable movies.

Against the Canon:
Too many batteries to pop them in easily. Lousy build quality.

Against the Nikon:
ENEL1 is non-standard, 2CR5 is not very common, less zoom range, poorer movie mode, higher price.

John, I know will say FZ10. That'd be a great option were it not for the non-standard battery and for the fact I'm committed to Compact Flash.

While I'm almost itching to get the Canon, it seems better to get the 5700 (when I can afford it).

Opinions?

Garret
07-05-2004, 03:27 PM
The only thing I can say is that the Nikon feels more professionel.

chauncey
07-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Don't forget that there is currently a $150 mail in rebate on the Nikon 5700. It would have appealed for me except for the small 1.5" LCD.

Chauncey