PDA

View Full Version : two questions

nsclcctl
05-15-2006, 07:54 AM
I just succeeded in taking a great moon shot with an FZ30 Lumix. About 3/4 to full moon, little shadow on the edge. I figured out using an f stop of 8 and shutter of 1/40 to 1/60, I got a nice shot, in focus and detailed, to some degree. I played with the ISO and shot at 100. Now, how can I make the photo crisp? I used a tripod. I assume I should open the telephoto all the way, 12X. What am I doing, the photo is nice, just not nasa crisp. Sorry I did not download the photo, not learned to do that yet. My 2nd question is, what exactly in practical terms is ISO?

JTL
05-15-2006, 03:54 PM
ISO is simply "sensitivity to light" as opposed to f-stop/aperture which is the "amount" of light. The higher the ISO number, the more light sensitivity.

To make you moon shot better, try using the timer so there's no shake whatsoever and turn off image stabilization while using the tripod. See if that helps.

Also, you might have to use a little USM (unsharp mask) and contrast enhancement in a photo editing program to make the image "pop".

ReF
05-17-2006, 05:07 AM
it's been a long time since i've owned an all-in-one camera, but would f8 be the sharpest aperture setting to use? with the massive DOF of an all-in-one, i really don't think such a small aperture is neccessary, unless of course it is the sharpest setting.