PDA

View Full Version : DIGIC-I and DIGIC-II

FAUguy
11-02-2004, 11:45 AM
I have seen the images on here from the A95 and SD300 and have to say that the A95 images are better. They have
less noise and nicer color. However, the SD300 uses the
newer DIGIC-II chip, as do some other new Canons.
If the SD300 has the newer chip, why aren't the images as
good as on the A95? Is this because it's a compact camera
and uses the same lens that the S60/S70 uses?
What improvments does the DIGIC-II have over the DIGIC-I?
When would we expect an 'updated' version of the A series using the new chip?

-Thanks.

NeoteriX
11-02-2004, 03:47 PM
In terms of image quality, the lens is the major player.

The digic chip does have some responsibility in terms of the exposure and stuff, since it calculates that.

The huge bonuses however from the digic 2 chip come from very speedy processing times -- that means faster autofocus/autoexposure, faster startup, and faster shot to shot times.

FAUguy
11-02-2004, 04:29 PM
From what I was reading, the DIGIC-II also allows you to
record video clips as long as you want. Which doesn't
matter much to me anyways.
Maybe there will be an updated version of the A series that
will use the DIGIC-II ?

NeoteriX
11-02-2004, 04:51 PM
I think we can safely assume that there will eventually be DIGIC II models of every powershot camera within the next 1 or 2 years.

Matthijs
11-14-2004, 06:57 AM
I think the A95 also has better quality because the chip is bigger, aside from the better lense. The SD300 doesn't have the same lens as the S-types, it only uses the same type of glass etc.(ultra refractive something). And Digic II means: speed!

ReF
11-15-2004, 02:18 AM
I agree with what the others said. If the A95 were made with the Digic II, it would definately be a much better camera. yeah the movie mode is unimportant to many, but for those who occasionally shoot a video clip here and there, and doesn't care to spend $400 on a camcorder but still wants decent quality out of their video, then it does matter, quite a bit.

Alnath
11-15-2004, 03:26 AM
The G6 is ony a DIGIC processor and that has better image quality than the pair of them

FAUguy
01-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Now the A510 is going to be out in a few weeks, and it still
uses the DIGIC-I chip.
I don't understand why since the 200/300 uses the DIGIC-II, and those have been out a few months.
I wonder if the A95 replacement will use the DIGIC-II.