PDA

View Full Version : Velvia Vision

D70FAN
11-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Has anyone out there used this software? Sounds very interesting, especially if it can give real Velvia qualities to digital prints.

Arizona
11-18-2004, 01:17 PM
It is an excellent plug-in that manages color very nicely. Many times I only use the warming feature but a little Velvia makes some images really pop. All images are different though so don't overdo it. There is a preview, an intesity slider, a global intensity slider as well as before and after buttons. It works in 16 bit or 8 bit.

I still use Hue/Saturation at times for tweeking individual colors but I use Velvia Vision mostly.

D70FAN
11-18-2004, 08:16 PM
It is an excellent plug-in that manages color very nicely. Many times I only use the warming feature but a little Velvia makes some images really pop. All images are different though so don't overdo it. There is a preview, an intesity slider, a global intensity slider as well as before and after buttons. It works in 16 bit or 8 bit.

I still use Hue/Saturation at times for tweeking individual colors but I use Velvia Vision mostly.

Thanks. If it approximates the film version then it looks to be worth a try. What camera/lens are you using?

Arizona
11-19-2004, 07:20 AM
I am currantly shooting with the Canon 300D with the Canon 17-40 f/4 lens. Come monday I'll have my 20D and the Canon 50mm 2.5 macro as well as the 85mm 1.8. I shoot RAW so post processing is absolutely necessary.

Here is one example of an image where I used the Velvia Vison. All images take it a little differently of course and you are the judge of how much is enough. It is simply a very conveniet way to work with color. I made a short cut key to pop it up instantly when it's needed.

http://photos.imageevent.com/boynhisdog/latitudes/LookingOverSea-Framed.jpg

I have a landscape of snow peaked mountians that took it pretty well if you want to see that.

D70FAN
11-19-2004, 08:32 AM
I am currantly shooting with the Canon 300D with the Canon 17-40 f/4 lens. Come monday I'll have my 20D and the Canon 50mm 2.5 macro as well as the 85mm 1.8. I shoot RAW so post processing is absolutely necessary.

Here is one example of an image where I used the Velvia Vison. All images take it a little differently of course and you are the judge of how much is enough. It is simply a very conveniet way to work with color. I made a short cut key to pop it up instantly when it's needed.

I have a landscape of snow peaked mountians that took it pretty well if you want to see that.

Excellent! That's what I've been looking for. I've been trying to do this in photoshop for a while, and just can't seem to get it right. Not every picture of course, but every once in a while I miss that Velvia pop.

Would appreciate the snow peaked mountains shot as well, just to see how it handles the contrast.

The 20D is a nice step-up from the DReb, and once set up should become a more transparent tool.

I only shoot RAW when I think it will potentially make a difference (occasionally). The work flow is just too tedious otherwise. Additionally, once I got used to using the D70, 80% of my shots turn out exactly as I see them through the viewfinder, and the other 20% require only minor "tweeking". You may find that to be the case with the 20D as well.

Anyway, thanks for the intro to Velevia Vision. It appears to be worth the investment.

Arizona
11-19-2004, 08:50 AM
This on is only so-so but dealing with the haze of shooting from the air can be challenging. I had a mapping site near here and snapped this in a turn. The Velvia Vision really helped to boost the deadened color of shooting through the air. At least I got sun on the slopes with an okay sky in the background.

I use PS CS and Adobe Camera Raw so the workflow goes well once you get used to it. You can batch if you need to.

http://photos.imageevent.com/boynhisdog/latitudes/snowframed.jpg

The one other plug-in of Fred's that I would not want to be without is his Intellisharpen II. I have several others but that one and the Velvia Vision are my two must haves.

D70FAN
11-19-2004, 01:00 PM
This on is only so-so but dealing with the haze of shooting from the air can be challenging. I had a mapping site near here and snapped this in a turn. The Velvia Vision really helped to boost the deadened color of shooting through the air. At least I got sun on the slopes with an okay sky in the background.

I use PS CS and Adobe Camera Raw so the workflow goes well once you get used to it. You can batch if you need to.

The one other plug-in of Fred's that I would not want to be without is his Intellisharpen II. I have several others but that one and the Velvia Vision are my two must haves.

Thanks for that. Like looking through a window. I do a lot of ariels as well (from spending a lot of time in window seats at 35K). I use an iNova action for most of those, but a little extra depth would be nice.

I use CS and ACR2.2 as well, but just need to spend more time with it. I'm pretty good with curves and histograms with JPEG, so it's just a matter of incorporating RAW into my normal routine. Since this is still just a hobby (for most of my life) I try to spend more time taking pictures than processing them.

Just out of curiousity... Is that first shot down along the Arizona Ocean Annex (Gulf Of California)? ;) The mountain looks like Humphrey's Peak area up by Flag.

Thanks again.

Arizona
11-19-2004, 02:26 PM
George you got the ocean right but it is on the Baja side. That was taken almost a couple of months ago near La Paz at a place called Pichilingue. When I saw that old weatherd pier I put the camera on the tripod and spent some time there. You guessed the peaks correctly.

You ought to download version 2.3 of ACR. It is more than just added camera support. The Shadow slider has been toned down to be less abrupt and the brighness slider now goes to 150. Also it will not set a WB point in a specular highlight now which is good.

When you work in RAW with ACR try this. Set your WB then hold down the Alt key while you have the right mouse button down on the Exposure slider. It will all turn black except for a blown highlight or channel. The highlight will look white and a single blown channel will look whatever color is blown. Adjust to just before anything is blown or clipped. Same for the Shadows Slider except you will see all white unless you have clipped something, then all black for a complete clipping and the color of a channel if only one is clipped. Set it just before you see any of that. Now you have your white and black clip point set. Brightness will move the middle tones around to where you like them and contrast will spread them out or pull them in as need be, both without much affecting your white or black clip points. I think you will like what this does for your dymanic range. Then I send it to PS unsharpened and put the final touches on it with Curves, Levels and/or Shadow/Highlights tool and the two plug-ins we talked about.

That is fairly quick and clean when you become used to it.

D70FAN
11-19-2004, 02:41 PM
George you got the ocean right but it is on the Baja side. That was taken almost a couple of months ago near La Paz at a place called Pichilingue. When I saw that old weatherd pier I put the camera on the tripod and spent some time there. You guessed the peaks correctly.

You ought to download version 2.3 of ACR. It is more than just added camera support. The Shadow slider has been toned down to be less abrupt and the brighness slider now goes to 150. Also it will not set a WB point in a specular highlight now which is good.

When you work in RAW with ACR try this. Set your WB then hold down the Alt key while you have the right mouse button down on the Exposure slider. It will all turn black except for a blown highlight or channel. The highlight will look white and a single blown channel will look whatever color is blown. Adjust to just before anything is blown or clipped. Same for the Shadows Slider except you will see all white unless you have clipped something, then all black for a complete clipping and the color of a channel if only one is clipped. Set it just before you see any of that. Now you have your white and black clip point set. Brightness will move the middle tones around to where you like them and contrast will spread them out or pull them in as need be, both without much affecting your white or black clip points. I think you will like what this does for your dymanic range. Then I send it to PS unsharpened and put the final touches on it with Curves, Levels and/or Shadow/Highlights tool and the two plug-ins we talked about.

That is fairly quick and clean when you become used to it.

I dove La Paz a few years back when I was a kid (16). Drove down from Monterey (CA). What a trip. Cabo was just a strip of beach. Looks like the water hasn't been mucked up in the past 40 years. Like being in a swimming pool (except for the big fish).

Flag has become one of my favorite haunts in the summer, and I love shooting the area. Maybe in the spring I'll just shoot trains, and US66. Here is one of my favorites:

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/gallery/148551/1/5473908

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a shot over the weekend, after I shoot some goats and horse farms in the neighborhood. something I've been meaning to do since I moved here last spring.

Arizona
11-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Nice photography George! Those have some amazing detail to them when viewed at full size. They are great at any size.

D70FAN
11-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Nice photography George! Those have some amazing detail to them when viewed at full size. They are great at any size.

Thanks. A great place to just wander with a lens. This is a pretty great state to shoot. Too much to shoot and not enough time. It would be great to spend a couple of weeks starting in the Fort Huachuca Tombstone area and ending at the North Rim.

Maybe someday...

Arizona
11-19-2004, 03:57 PM
I had a great camping trip planned to the Kofa wilderness this week where I would loose myself among the volcanic spires and magic landscape. The Persid meteor shower would have been stunning out there. A pipe broke in my slab just before I was to leave. No photography trip and $4000 worth of re-piping bills for my old ranch house. :eek: Maybe next time.