PDA

View Full Version : problems with RAW to JEPG! help!

drew_viii
05-08-2006, 05:33 PM
hi, ive encountered some problems while processing my raw images and save them ino jpeg files... generally i just increase the sharpness, contrast, color saturation and color tone to the maximum, while i save the images as jpeg, i use high image quality compression and maximum of 2000 pixels/inch... im using canon's zoom browser ex with its raw image processing... both jpeg and raw images obviously have big difference! the RAW i processed looks sharper and color looks better, but why the JPEG file couldnt have the same picture? whats the problem here? :confused:

arigato
05-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Ive had this problem before, and I never truely figured out why myself. Opening the jpeg in the same application from which it came from will not help. Canon's DPP and Adobe CS software seem to over do any sharpening you initially made in raw when viewing the file as a jpeg, so my advice would be to stick to values of 2 or 3 possibly 4 for sharpening in DPP and then convert. The result should be sharper then what you saw in RAW before the conversion. Hope that helps.

cwphoto
05-09-2006, 06:15 AM
generally i just increase the sharpness, contrast, color saturation and color tone to the maximum

There's your problem right there. Keeping all these much closer to the default settings would be a better bet for starters.

Thai
05-09-2006, 06:47 AM
2000 px/in? Do you plan on enlarging it dramatically? Print is usually 300 with very large posters on average of 150 dpi. That might be your problem there. Just overloads the system at that resolution.

drew_viii
05-09-2006, 07:18 PM
the reson why ive tried 2000px/in is because ive tried the default which is 180px/inch, still it doesnt improves the sharpness and everything... generally the RAW images looks a lot better than the JPEG file, which came from the RAW file itself, that makes me wonder why....

aparmley
05-09-2006, 07:28 PM
the reson why ive tried 2000px/in is because ive tried the default which is 180px/inch, still it doesnt improves the sharpness and everything... generally the RAW images looks a lot better than the JPEG file, which came from the RAW file itself, that makes me wonder why....

The good news is - you're to blame!

LOL

So basically whats going on is there is a problem in the conversion and we need to find out what it is - I wouldn't convert it more than 200 pixels/inch. Thats a start. I'd leave sharpness/contrast/saturation alone, don't crank any of it up. see what that does - try to eliminate as much as you can and see what the results are. . .

drew_viii
05-12-2006, 04:56 AM
oh ic... well i really like to picture when increasing the quality... anyways.. does it make difference if i increase the contrast, sharpness, of the raw image, and increasing it in my cameras picture style setting?

ReF
05-12-2006, 05:02 AM
that sounds really weird to me, as i've never had this problem before. maybe you should try uninstalling and reinstalling the program. i just leave the pixels per inch at the default 180, but i've tried cranking up the setting and it never caused any problems, same with just about every other setting in the converter.

pitonyak
05-14-2006, 10:21 AM
hi, ive encountered some problems while processing my raw images and save them ino jpeg files... generally i just increase the sharpness, contrast, color saturation and color tone to the maximum, while i save the images as jpeg, i use high image quality compression and maximum of 2000 pixels/inch... im using canon's zoom browser ex with its raw image processing... both jpeg and raw images obviously have big difference! the RAW i processed looks sharper and color looks better, but why the JPEG file couldnt have the same picture? whats the problem here? :confused:
Remember a few things while working:

* The RAW data is a 12 bit format and JPG is an 8 bit format. You lose a lot of information during the transofrmation to JPG.

* JPG is a lossy rather than a loseless compression method. Every time you load and save a JPG file, you lose more information and the image is expected to become worse.

* Some modifications work better with the RAW data (noise reduction, for example), and some things should be done in final processing. And some thing should be done at both stages. I am not an expert on image processing, but I do know that the amount of sharpening is specifically dependent on the final output size.