PDA

View Full Version : Pentax *IST DL SlOW AUTOFOCUS

Sims
05-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Pentax owners, did you experience slow autofocus when shooting action shots??

I want to upgrade to an entry level DSLR

Please Help
Many Thank

jeisner
05-07-2006, 01:40 AM
Compared to?

The D does focus faster than the DS/DL..

It also depends greatly on the lens, some are much faster than others... Even on other mounts (like my friends Canon 85/1.2 L, you could order a pizza waiting for it to focus)..

Sims
05-07-2006, 06:28 AM
How does it compare to a Nikon D50

Sims
05-07-2006, 06:29 AM
I mean the Pentax *IST DL compared to the Nikon D50

michaelb
05-08-2006, 09:29 AM

I don't own either camera, but I have "played" with these cameras in a couple of different camera stores. The D50's focus is definitely faster than the DL and the DS. Personally, I don't shoot alot of action photos and I am wondering whether this will matter to me or not.

jeisner
05-08-2006, 05:11 PM

In general (remember lenses to focus at different speed) the DL is probably slightly slower than the D50... Compared to non SLR digital cmeras though it is a hell of a lot faster..

Try them out in a store for yourself and see if it is slow enough to be a problem..

P.S. Pentax uses a different system for focus motors than the other camera companies.. They put the motor in the camera (worm drive) and the others put the motors in the lenses.. This means Pentax is often slightly slower (though higher end bodies like the D have better motors, so less difference).. It does also have its advantages, as every lens doesn't have its own motor, the equivelent lenses are generally smaller and lighter.. Also each lens has one less point of failure, ie faulty focus motor.. It also means we don't have compatability problems with older lenses (often 3rd party lenses) there is no lens rechipping required like other makes sometimes need...