PDA

View Full Version : FZ20 lens filters question

vasanthd
11-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Hey all,
I would like to know one thing about the FZ20 lens filters. Is it possible to attach the lens filters only to the lens hood? Does that mean when packing, your FZ20 is without a lens filter? Istnt that a problem? Also let me know if fitting-unfiting the lens hood very often; Is it easy to do? How does it work out in the long run?

Thanks.
Regards,
Vasanth :rolleyes:

Jayde
11-02-2004, 12:47 AM
vasanthd
hi :)
http://www.b-300.com/used.html

buy one of these 62mm adaptors then add a 62mm UV filter less money too.. leave them on all time they protect the lens.. PA62is not bulky like the pana hood.. btw, thats only for a filter..
PA62 Black Seconds. Dimensionally perfect but with slight cosmetic blemish (nicked or chipped black topcoat). Guaranteed to be fully functional.

I have one its perfect.

then you can add other lens.. later maybe..
see my post here
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1314

slitman
11-03-2004, 02:19 PM
How does this one look for the FZ20?

genece
11-03-2004, 06:05 PM
If you are not planning on many add on lenses , then the Panasonic adapter is fine.

slitman
11-03-2004, 06:42 PM
How does this one look for the FZ20?
So will the following one work well for the FZ20:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67353&item=3849255768&rd=1

genece
11-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Sure will.
If you are not going to use the hood you may want to consider a Multi-coated filter. But I do not know if they are worth the added expense,probably not to most of us.

slitman
11-04-2004, 01:55 PM
What would be the advantage of the Multi-coated filter?

I am just looking for a basic filter to protect the lens.

Also, what is the different in the two following filters:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67353&item=3850352525

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67353&item=3849622638

Sure will.
If you are not going to use the hood you may want to consider a Multi-coated filter. But I do not know if they are worth the added expense,probably not to most of us.

genece
11-04-2004, 05:21 PM
The one with the green label is not coated the purple one is double coated
A better one would be multi or super multi coated.
My guess either will work, but you get what you pay for.
The next one better is about $10 more and the next best is about $40 more
filters (http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/uv.aspx)

slitman
11-04-2004, 06:13 PM
So is sounds like the HMC (HOYA MULTI-COATED) or actually the SUPER HMC (SMC) would be the way to go?

Does a better filter, such as the SUPER HMC (SMC), actually provide for a better image?

o
The one with the green label is not coated the purple one is double coated
A better one would be multi or super multi coated.
My guess either will work, but you get what you pay for.
The next one better is about $10 more and the next best is about $40 more
filters (http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/uv.aspx)

genece
11-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Does a better filter, such as the SUPER HMC (SMC), actually provide for a better image?

I kind of doubt it for most of us.
Might help a little with glare. But I doubt it.
UV filters helped film cameras a good bit but most people say they do not help digital cameras much.

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 01:01 AM
If your reason for adding a filter in the first place is mainly for lens protection then there is very little point in paying for a high end pro film camera type filter. The reason why UV filters are reccommended for lens protection is thay have a very small effect on your end result and as such to the majority whether it is double coated, multi coated, super multi coated etc. is just throwing your money away :) especially when it seems to have less effect with digital than film.

slitman
11-05-2004, 04:31 AM
So there seems to be a difference of opinion then as to whether it is alright to just go with a 72mm filter if you are just looking to protect the lens as there will be too much of a gap between the lens and the filter. Is this the case?

If your reason for adding a filter in the first place is mainly for lens protection then there is very little point in paying for a high end pro film camera type filter. The reason why UV filters are reccommended for lens protection is thay have a very small effect on your end result and as such to the majority whether it is double coated, multi coated, super multi coated etc. is just throwing your money away :) especially when it seems to have less effect with digital than film.

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 05:14 AM
The issues with the distance from the 72mm Filter and the Lens if using the included Panasonic Hood are demonstrated here (http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-10/Lens/Lens-Hood.html).

Hopefully this will help people make their choices :)

slitman
11-05-2004, 05:31 AM
So if I have no interest or plans to use the Panasonic or any type of hood, is there a problem using a 72mm filter?

The issues with the distance from the 72mm Filter and the Lens if using the included Panasonic Hood are demonstrated here (http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-10/Lens/Lens-Hood.html).

Hopefully this will help people make their choices :)

John_Reed
11-05-2004, 05:55 AM
So if I have no interest or plans to use the Panasonic or any type of hood, is there a problem using a 72mm filter?Well, that's right. If you're not using the camera OR a hood, don't bother to get a 72mm filter, unless you need a high-priced coaster for resting your drinks? :D

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 06:04 AM
So if I have no interest or plans to use the Panasonic or any type of hood, is there a problem using a 72mm filter?

The Lens Hood provided is made up of two parts:

(1) lens hood ADAPTOR with 72mm front thread
(2) Lens Hood (Petal) clips over ADAPTOR and tightens with a small screw.

The 72mm filter can only be fitted at the end of the provided Panasonic lens hood ADAPTOR as there are no threads on the end of the lens itself. Whether you put on the actual PETAL HOOD or not is entirely upto you. But you have to use the ADAPTOR to mount a filter.

slitman
11-05-2004, 06:06 AM
Just to clarify, that is the Panasonic hood provided or any other hood. :)

Well, that's right. If you're not using the camera OR a hood, don't bother to get a 72mm filter, unless you need a high-priced coaster for resting your drinks? :D

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 06:09 AM
The Panasonic ADAPTOR and Lens HOOD that are in the box with the FZ arrived :)

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 06:13 AM
Your choices:

(1) FZ20 + Panasonic ADAPTOR + 72mm Filter + Panasonic lens HOOD
(2) FZ20 + Pemaraal PD62 or PA62 ADAPTOR + 62mm Filter + 3rd Party 62mm HOOD
(3) FZ20 + no adaptor = no filter thread to fit to.

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 06:16 AM
If you really want a filter then you have to use an ADAPTOR to get a filter thread.

The thread that is on the camera body is purely for an ADAPTOR. If you tried to mount anything like a filter on this the camera would not work because the lens would be stuck from opening.

slitman
11-05-2004, 06:38 AM
Thank you for the clarification :) still trying to understand all of this.

So with the pemaraal Adapters, will that fit into the camera bag that is part of the Circuit City rebate?

If you really want a filter then you have to use an ADAPTOR to get a filter thread.

The thread that is on the camera body is purely for an ADAPTOR. If you tried to mount anything like a filter on this the camera would not work because the lens would be stuck from opening.

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 06:48 AM
There are a number of manufacturers that make ADAPTORS to fit various Cameras.

Pemaraal is one of these companies and have developed a range of ADAPTORS that all fit the Panasonic FZ20 camera.

If you look at the Pemaraal website (http://www.b-300.com/fz10ac.html) you will see that they make ones that FINISH with either a 55mm, 58mm or a 62mm THREAD. These are made from either Aluminum or Delrin plastic.

The three sizes are at the thread at the FRONT of the ADAPTOR which is where you can attach; FILTERS, Lens Convertors and HOODS.

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 06:50 AM
A number of other companies and information on their ADAPTORS can be found here (http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-10/Converters/Adapters/Adapters.html).

lumixfan
11-05-2004, 06:54 AM
So with the pemaraal Adapters, will that fit into the camera bag that is part of the Circuit City rebate?

No Way, the Camera bag is so small. Hardly the FZ20 can be squeezed into it. Forget about any accessories even including the panasonic adapters or hood or flash etc, unless you are Houdini. Then thats a different story.

I ordered a Ex-160 Lowepro bag for the camera after looking at the circuit city offer. But after thinking, if you want to carry only the camera and nothing else, and are trekking or jogging, it may serve its purpose. So I am still not throwing it out.

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 06:54 AM
Sorry miss read your last post.

As far as the camera bag that is provided as part of the rebate:

After all the hype, I also got my free camera bag/battery
in 10 days. That is very fast. Battery is fine, But the

Bag is a big joke for FZ20. No way I can fit in the camera + lens hood inside it. When I am going outside I want the hood also. What is the point if I have to keep the camera in one bag and rest in another. Anyway no complaints. It is a free goody afterall. I plan to give to my baby as a toy to play and store blocks inside it.

Now to search for Lowepro bags. I had my expectations high ! So dont count on the bag to store FZ20's.

Seems that it is a tight fit just for the FZ20 body. So I think you would be better off looking at alternative bags :)

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 06:55 AM
There is a number of FZ20 bag suggestions here (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1871)

pwiles1968
11-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Was going to buy cheap filter for lens protection, but when I realised that you had to screw an adapter around the lens which basically permanently makes the camera larger when not in use I did not bother, I do not know why they could not put a thread on the lens barrel! Guess I will have to be careful. :(

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Because the camera barrel moves from within the bady when switched on Panasonic would have found it impossible to do this without the use of some type of addaptor to give the clearance needed for the lens.

slitman
11-05-2004, 01:29 PM
I am beginning to think the same....

Was going to buy cheap filter for lens protection, but when I realised that you had to screw an adapter around the lens which basically permanently makes the camera larger when not in use I did not bother, I do not know why they could not put a thread on the lens barrel! Guess I will have to be careful. :(

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 01:51 PM
They probably were concerned with the issues of mounting any lens converters directly to the lens becasue of weight issues, and chose to fix to the camera body instead. This gives them a very solid mount that does not effect the lens at all.

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 01:53 PM
I'm sure if they had added a filter thread on the lens itself then there may have been clearance issues with an adaptor.

slitman
11-05-2004, 03:26 PM
And I imagine if you don't plan on using the hood and so forth, and careful with the camera, the filter isn't necessary.

They probably were concerned with the issues of mounting any lens converters directly to the lens becasue of weight issues, and chose to fix to the camera body instead. This gives them a very solid mount that does not effect the lens at all.

Jim Last
11-06-2004, 02:00 AM
Exactly that, if you feel happy that you can ensure your lens' safetly, then you can manage fine without a filter.

slitman
11-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Though, I am considering your following suggestion:

2) FZ20 + Pemaraal PD62 or PA62 ADAPTOR + 62mm Filter + 3rd Party 62mm HOOD

Any ideas on where to get the best price on the Pemaraal PD62 or PA62 ADAPTOR?

Exactly that, if you feel happy that you can ensure your lens' safetly, then you can manage fine without a filter.

Jim Last
11-06-2004, 09:04 AM
I think the only place you can get the Pemaraal (http://www.b-300.com/fz10ac.html) from is them direct. I ordered from them direct and was perfectly happy with the service :)

The 62mm hood that I went for is the Hama 092962 from 7dayshop.com very well priced.

maroot
11-07-2004, 08:03 AM

Because the camera barrel moves from within the bady when switched on Panasonic would have found it impossible to do this without the use of some type of addaptor to give the clearance needed for the lens.

Another reason is probably because the lens barrel retracts, it is delicate. Any additional added weight of heavy lenses to the barrel would compromise the operation of the camera's lens. Therefore the metal shroud around the lens barrel which is part of the camera body is threaded and is designed to support the OEM add on adapters. ;)
maroot