PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate shooting resolution for a 4.0MP camera.

JamesMJ
05-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Forgive me if this has been covered before, I wasn't able to find the thread. Recently I have begun using my Olympus C750UZ for work. I want to know what's the best resolution choice for the 4.0MP sensor. I want to be able to print the biggest possible photo I can without enlarging/using digital zoom. I have the choice of using TIFF, but the shot-to-shot time is like 15secs. So I was thinking maybe I could use a lower resolution with the same TIFF output. I should mention that the C750 won't take a Mem. card any bigger then 512MB. The prints I am trying to make are 11x14 and 14x17 at the biggest.

Norm in Fujino
05-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Forgive me if this has been covered before, I wasn't able to find the thread. Recently I have begun using my Olympus C750UZ for work. I want to know what's the best resolution choice for the 4.0MP sensor. I want to be able to print the biggest possible photo I can without enlarging/using digital zoom. I have the choice of using TIFF, but the shot-to-shot time is like 15secs. So I was thinking maybe I could use a lower resolution with the same TIFF output. I should mention that the C750 won't take a Mem. card any bigger then 512MB. The prints I am trying to make are 11x14 and 14x17 at the biggest.

Use SHQ and shoot at ISO 50 and try not to crop any.
I've made cropped prints at 8x10 (A4) from a C-750 (actually C-755, but essentially the same) that turned out excellent, so I'm sure given the right conditions (proper exposure, contrast, subject, etc.) you should be able to make larger prints of uncropped frames. A full-face portrait should turn out fine, but you may be stretching things if the subject has excessively high detail. I would also suggest you do your printing through a program like Qimage, since it provides automatic interpolation for uprezzing to larger sizes than the original resolution and should produce better results for the large sizes you're anticipating.
If you're not satisfied, you can try biting the bullet and recording in TIFF, but it won't actually increase your resolution any. Definitely don't use digital zoom, since it's equivalent to in-camera cropping and will seriously degrade what resolution you have!

JamesMJ
05-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Great. I'm gonna go give those setting a shot (literally) right now. I'll see how they turn out and post back. Thanks much.