PDA

View Full Version : makin progress, now need help

nsclcctl
05-05-2006, 11:36 AM
OK, I have gone digital with a Panasonic FZ30. I love it and while having taken the majority of my pictures in point and click mode, I now have moved to manual. I am understanding aperture and shutter speed. What I now need is someone talking in plain english about advanatges of either say for taking scenery shots, flowers and the occasional moon shot. For instance, when do I want a wide open aperture and what happens when I change the shutter from fast to slow? Just need someone, with no gobbelygoop physics, to just discuss the practical aspects of taking a good picture. I am experimenting and loving it, I just need some guidance.

AlexMonro
05-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Glad you're making progress. I'll try to help you a bit further along the way.

For scenery, since it doesn't move, you can concentrate on aperture to get the kind of shot you want, and just set the shutter speed to give the right exposure. Sometimes it can create a nice effect if you use a wide aperture to reduce the depth of field (focus), so that when you focus on the main subject, the background is slightly blurry, and less distracting.

If you want to get as much as possible in focus, to make everything sharp, use a small aperture (high number f-stop) - f8 or f11 say. In low light, the OIS image stabilisation will help prevent camera shake for the longer exposure time, but you might need to use a tripod, or brace yourself against a wall or tree, if the exposure is longer than (1/focal length) x 4. For example, if you're zoomed in to 200mm equivalent, and the shutter speed is 1/100 second, you should be OK hand held with OIS. If the shutter speed is 1/10 second, use a tripod.

For close ups of flowers, you'll probably need to use macro mode.

Moon shots will probably need quite long exposure - several seconds - so you'll certainly need a tripot for that.

Hope this helps - do ask if you have more specific questions.