PDA

View Full Version : D70 questions

exodus454
11-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Well, after finding a bit more money to spend, i've decided to go for the D70 rather than an expensive point and shoot. Only questions I have are -

1) where can it be had cheaply and reliably?

2) is it more economic to buy it with or without the lens?

D70FAN
11-02-2004, 06:38 AM
Well, after finding a bit more money to spend, i've decided to go for the D70 rather than an expensive point and shoot. Only questions I have are -

1) where can it be had cheaply and reliably?

2) is it more economic to buy it with or without the lens?

Both good questions.

1. Probably nowhere. Most of the cheap places are grey market, and the D70 is pretty much a fair trade item. This may be one for your local camera store. I bought mine from Norman Camera in Michigan and saved the sales tax, but always ask about the return policy. If I had it to do over again I would buy from my local camera store just for the added support and advice. I do buy my lenses locally, and have learned a lot from the conversations.

2. The Nikkor 18-70 is a pretty good lens, but I have been using the Sigma 18-125 for a couple of months and it is as good as my Nikkor, with better reach (by 55mm) for about $250-$300. As you progress you will probably want to add a 50mm f1.8 (or f1.4) and a 70-300mm G long zoom to the kit. Non-pro versions of these lenses are relatively cheap ($150 each) on the average. The 24-120 VR lens ($460-$550) is very nice and has image stabilization, but I like the extra wide-angle that 18mm affords, and have adjusted to taking a lightweight tripod with me.

I use the 50mm f1.8 quite a bit, and the 70-300 when I'm shooting nature shots (infrequently), and does require a tripod in waning light.

As with any dSLR, be patient and learn the camera. This is not a point-n-shoot, and even in "auto" mode there are adjustments. Use, and learn from, the scene modes (very handy tools). One of the downsides is that you will want all manner of lenses and accessories. Since you are not a pro and won't be flogging your equipment, try not to go crazy with pro grade lenses(although the 80-400 VR for $1500 has been calling to me).

The only other investments should be an SB600 ($250) of SB800 Speedlight (about $350). These will change the way you look at flash pictures. I recommend 1 high speed Compact Flash card (UltraII or Extreme 512MB or 1GB) for your arsenal, plus a couple of cheap 256 or 512 CF cards. And most important a spare EN-EL3 battery (about $50). With 2 batteries you should be able to shoot around 1500 pictures (using the built in speed-light occasionally).

Have fun.

utgaard
11-19-2004, 05:06 PM
:rolleyes:
I purchased the D70 from Best Buy. The only reason I did this was because I heard horror stories of people trying to get warranty work on their camera and all the troubles they went through just trying to find a person that spoke english let alone a person they could actually speak to.
Best Buy has it's problems also. I sent my Sony in over a month ago and they just called me today to say it was done .. even then they couldn't find anything wrong after all this time. Up until this episode ... they were great.
Back to the D70 .. will the guy who can find a 80 - 300 VR lens for $1500 post the location.

D70FAN
11-19-2004, 06:09 PM
:rolleyes:
I purchased the D70 from Best Buy. The only reason I did this was because I heard horror stories of people trying to get warranty work on their camera and all the troubles they went through just trying to find a person that spoke english let alone a person they could actually speak to.
Best Buy has it's problems also. I sent my Sony in over a month ago and they just called me today to say it was done .. even then they couldn't find anything wrong after all this time. Up until this episode ... they were great.
Back to the D70 .. will the guy who can find a 80 - 300 VR lens for $1500 post the location.

Actually it's the 80-400 VR. And the price is $1429 before the rebate ($100) from Norman Camera up in Michigan.

http://www.normancamera.com/shop/SearchResults.asp?ProdStock=vr80%2D400mm

Hope that's what you were looking for. Nikkor doesn't offer an 80-300 VR.