PDA

View Full Version : Newbie seeking lens for Digital Rebel

dresen
11-01-2004, 05:41 PM
Hi.

As a total newbie regarding cameras and taking pictures, I seek some expert advice, to guide me around in this huge and fascinating world.

I have read some about digital slr's and have almost reached the conclusion that the canon digital rebel is the appropiate first time buy for me.

Haven't tested the thing in real life yet, but plan to visit a camera shop one of the following days.

I do have a concern towards the lenses. I have tried to read about it, but I find it hard to make any kind of judgement based on my poor practical knowledge (hopefully the visit to the shop will help a bit). I am intriqued by the rebate that canon gives on the Rebel and plan to by the camera with the EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 lens (as recommended here bobatkins (http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/10d300dlenses.html)).
Could you guys recommend an additional lens that will expand my oppurtunities with the camera. I've read that the 28-135mm would be a great solution, but I find it a bit pricy(from a newbies perspective). I was hoping to spend max $130 after the additional rebates (that will approximately be $115). Is there such a lens, or should I rather wait until i have the money for a better and more expensive lens.

If you do recommend any lenses, please post a direct link to it.

I excuse my humble english, but as a dane I just rarely write any english.

Regards

LoveOfSelene
11-01-2004, 07:46 PM
From what I can think of off of my head. The 50mm f/1.8 (~$70) is the only Canon lenes under $130. and i believe a 28-105mm USM version III is around $130 i believe. (thats the most selling beginner's lens I sell at my shop)

I do recomend the 28-135mm but it's is like you said it's kind pricy for a beginner lens.

From what i been hearing, sigma lenses are good as well and suposed to be cheaper

hope this helps

timmciglobal
11-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Sigma has a 24>105 F2.8>4, I'd love to find someone with it to see how well it actually works. About 199 online.

I'm in same boat, I don't want to spend 430 on a lens but the 28>135 USM IS is a great lens and I tried a quanaray 24>105 and it was horribly soft.

Anyone else weigh in? Best lens for zoom in the 100>200 market?

Tim

jamison55
11-02-2004, 03:53 AM
I suggest the Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC. For the price it is a fairly sharp lens that, coupled with the kit lens, will give you an effective range of 28 - 300mm. It is exactly $130.00 from this site (http://www.17photo.com/product.asp?id=SIG55200C) where I bought mine. I took the shots I posted here (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1840&page=1) with this lens.

D70FAN
11-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Hi.

As a total newbie regarding cameras and taking pictures, I seek some expert advice, to guide me around in this huge and fascinating world.

I have read some about digital slr's and have almost reached the conclusion that the canon digital rebel is the appropiate first time buy for me.

Haven't tested the thing in real life yet, but plan to visit a camera shop one of the following days.

I do have a concern towards the lenses. I have tried to read about it, but I find it hard to make any kind of judgement based on my poor practical knowledge (hopefully the visit to the shop will help a bit). I am intriqued by the rebate that canon gives on the Rebel and plan to by the camera with the EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 lens (as recommended here bobatkins (http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/10d300dlenses.html)).
Could you guys recommend an additional lens that will expand my oppurtunities with the camera. I've read that the 28-135mm would be a great solution, but I find it a bit pricy(from a newbies perspective). I was hoping to spend max $130 after the additional rebates (that will approximately be $115). Is there such a lens, or should I rather wait until i have the money for a better and more expensive lens.

If you do recommend any lenses, please post a direct link to it.

I excuse my humble english, but as a dane I just rarely write any english.

Regards

While it's a little over your budget:

I have been shooting with the Sigma 18mm-125mm f3.5-f5.6 DC on my D70. This lens is a "sleeper" and runs about $280. I replaced the Nikkor 18mm-70mm DX "kit" lens with this one.

http://www.normancamera.com/shop/SearchResults.asp?ProdStock=789

I'm not sure if Norman Camera ships outside the US/Canada.

dresen
11-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Hi.

Thank you for your replies.

George, do you think the Sigma 18mm-125mm f3.5-f5.6 DC is as good as the EF 28-135 3.5-5.6 ?! The price is almost the same on the two (after the canon rebate).

If they are both performing alike, I think I'll buy the standard kit, and then decide whether to buy the sigma later.

I have another question. One of my friends will bring the camera to Denmark for me, and that will save me $500. Apparently Canon does not have a international warranty, so if anything happens to the camera, I'll have to send it to the states or pay for it to get fixed here in Denmark. Is the camera durable, or should I expect problems with it, that will bring me extra costs the next years?!

timmciglobal
11-04-2004, 03:37 PM
I ordered the 28>105 USM 2 F3.5>4.5 lens, should come tommorow, I'll let you know what I think. It was only 229 shipped which is about 200 less then the 28>135 IS (but of course no IS on this, but faster lens) From reviews I read the lens appears to be fantastic value, the sigma lenses I've tried have all been too soft for my taste.

Tim

timmciglobal
11-05-2004, 12:34 PM
Here is a pic I took of a bird, croped down alot @ 105 MM handheld P mode. I'm VERY impressed by the 28-105 USM 2 (F3.5>4.5) lens. First let me say it's focus is lightning fast. The build quality is very high and feels very solid, the full time manual focus ring is AMAZING. Let's you focus after AF focuses if you like to focus into your subject more when shooting macro, and no requirment to switch focus modes or do it all yourself.

The downside is it is a bit soft, I think this is just an accepted fact of the sub 500$ range lens, but let me tell you, having the shutter half depressed and then doing fine tuning on autofocus helps ALOT if your shooting stuff like flowers or animals, lets you basically fine tune things like where your focus is in a difficult scene where rebel picked a focus point you don't want, or you don't feel like manually selecting focus point.

Here are two samples, one is that bird, the next is a toothbrush head to show you relative sharpness of the lens, this was @ 105 MM.

http://home.rochester.rr.com/galidin/bird105mm.jpg

http://home.rochester.rr.com/galidin/brushhead.jpg

Tim

D70FAN
11-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Hi.

Thank you for your replies.

George, do you think the Sigma 18mm-125mm f3.5-f5.6 DC is as good as the EF 28-135 3.5-5.6 ?! The price is almost the same on the two (after the canon rebate).

If they are both performing alike, I think I'll buy the standard kit, and then decide whether to buy the sigma later.

I have another question. One of my friends will bring the camera to Denmark for me, and that will save me $500. Apparently Canon does not have a international warranty, so if anything happens to the camera, I'll have to send it to the states or pay for it to get fixed here in Denmark. Is the camera durable, or should I expect problems with it, that will bring me extra costs the next years?!

Sorry, since I don't have a Canon, I'm not experienced with the EF lenses, but I do know that the Sigma is equal to the Nikkor 18-70 DX lens in picture quality.

Here are some samples using the Sigma lens.

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/gallery/197044/1/7516904

Having the extra 10mm on the WA end was more important to me in an everyday lens which is why I chose the Sigma over some very nice Nikkor glass. It was very tempting to drop $500+ on the 24-120 VR Nikkor, but 36mm WA (converted) just didn't meet my needs, and I do have a nice tripod and monopod for those times when VR would be needed.

I have yet to hear of any problem with a DReb (or any other dSLR) as far as reliability, so while there is still risk there, I would consider it to be minimal. Just make sure your freind checks it out thoroughly (a happy task for most)before sending it to you.

The DReb should give you many years of learning and allow you to expand that creativity. You could do this just as well with a point-n-shoot, but it would just be a lot harder.

suemccartin
11-24-2004, 07:09 AM
I just got this lens in the mail last week. I used it friday night to shoot a karate demo from the bleachers in a gymnasium setting. It was perfect for this. The IS system is unbelievable, it even salvaged several shots where the flash didn't fire. I don't understand some comments that say the IS doesn't work on moving objects, that doesn't seem to be the case on the pictures on I took as the subjects were moving around a lot.

This lens is great unless you are right on top of the subject, then you need a wider angle because the 28mm is in effect (because of the sensor size) almost a 45mm lens. The 17-55 that came with the camera is better if the subject is right in front of you, but this is definetly a great walk around lens for many shooting situations. It's heavy and the IS system does suck batteries but it's really a great lens if you ask me and the full time manual focus USM motor is really neet for those times you need to touch up the focus without switching out of AF mode.

glennp
11-24-2004, 01:42 PM
Sue, I think I'm the one that might have confused you on the benefits of IS. Let me see if this helps. IS helps isolate your movement, not the subject's.

For example, if you were shooting one of your karate demos and the camera's shutter speed was 1/60 and the person's movement was blurry, no amount of IS would sharpen or stop the action in the picture. Now in an identical lighting situation except the subject was a painting on the wall, if the picture was blurry, it would be because of camera shake. This is where IS benefits your shots.

Good luck with the 28-135, it is one of my favorite lenses.

TenD
11-25-2004, 05:51 PM
I own a Canon 28-105 USM II and I find it a pretty good lens. I have used a 28-135 IS and I covet that lens to fill a need shooting from airplanes. I just looked at George's gallery of the Sigma 18-125 and the pictures he posted look very good, but I take them with a grain of salt, most of them are taken stopped down to f/10 right in the sweet spot of the lens, the range of that lens however is fantastic. I have heard a lot of good things about Sigma lenses, but I had a bad experience with a Sigma years ago, and after doing extensive research, I decided that I am better served sticking with Canon offerings. Here is another thread in DCresource that addresses this topic:
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2542