PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from Canon G2 to DSLR -- go for Canon Rebel or Nikon D70?

eptang
07-18-2004, 03:03 PM
I currently own a Canon G2 and really like it, but am looking to make a move to a DSLR camera for more advanced photography. I've never used a standard SLR, and so I don't already own any extra lenses -- that means I'm not already committed to a particular camera company. After reading reviews, it seems like the Canon EOS 300D (Rebel) and the newer Nikon D70 are the most popular, but I was wondering whether the Nikon was worth the $300 price difference. I also had two other questions: (1) since I'm already familiar with Canon controls from the G2, would that make it easier to learn the Rebel, or since the G2 is older, does it matter; and (2) does having a Canon printer affect the decision (that is, is it better to print canon camera pictures on canon professional paper on a canon printer).

Note -- I'd be looking to buy the kit version of either camera, since that seems to be the most cost-effective way of getting an additional lens.

Thanks in advance!

D70FAN
07-18-2004, 03:59 PM
I currently own a Canon G2 and really like it, but am looking to make a move to a DSLR camera for more advanced photography. I've never used a standard SLR, and so I don't already own any extra lenses -- that means I'm not already committed to a particular camera company. After reading reviews, it seems like the Canon EOS 300D (Rebel) and the newer Nikon D70 are the most popular, but I was wondering whether the Nikon was worth the $300 price difference. I also had two other questions: (1) since I'm already familiar with Canon controls from the G2, would that make it easier to learn the Rebel, or since the G2 is older, does it matter; and (2) does having a Canon printer affect the decision (that is, is it better to print canon camera pictures on canon professional paper on a canon printer).

Note -- I'd be looking to buy the kit version of either camera, since that seems to be the most cost-effective way of getting an additional lens.

Thanks in advance!

First, you get what you pay for. The dReb is a good value for the person that would like to have the features offered by an SLR at a bargain price.

The dReb lens is worth about $150 and the D70 lens is worth about $350. Neither lens is anything to jump up and down about, but most people would agree that the Nikkor lens is better IN THIS CASE. Canon does, however, offer some really nice lenses at a little more reasonable cost than Nikon.

The D70 has a few features that the dReb does not, but they might not make a difference to the average consumer dSLR buyer.

Answer to question 1: No.

Answer to question 2: No. And to carry that forward, the Canon Photo grade printers are second to none, with any camera.

Standard advice: Go try both at your local camera store. Buy the one you like. Don't get caught up in a sales pitch. And, from recent experience, walk (or ignore them) if the sales person says "this one is my favorite". You came to the store to evaluate cameras you liked. What the saleman likes doesn't matter.

Have fun. :D

Gary Hoorn
07-18-2004, 08:40 PM
George is giving you some good advice. Ignore the salesman's pitch and make the dealer/store let you try both cameras. It is your money, don't get pushed! Also inquire about the stores Return Policy if you find you are not satisfied. Example, Best Buy will give you 14 Days for a full refund. If you order online be sure and read the dealers policies. There is an awful lot of very fine print in most of their agreements. I tried the D70 and the Rebel and just felt more comfortable with the Rebel. I also bought the Canon 28-135 IS lens. Either camera is a serious cut above your present one.
I have the Canon I960 printer and with Canon Pro paper the shots look just like professional printing.
Gary

eptang
07-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks to you both! I appreciate the feedback, and I will definitely take your advice and check out the cameras in stores tomorrow.

And it's nice to hear the great comments on the Canon printer! :)

86Hawki
07-18-2004, 09:15 PM
"What Gary said" with regard to the i960 printer! It makes great photos, even with my Kodak DC4800 3MP dinosaur:)

Use the Photo Paper Pro by all means.