PDA

View Full Version : Pentax DS and Adobe Photoshop CS

Alchemist
05-02-2006, 01:33 PM
We have Pentax DS cameras and Photoshop CS (not CS2), installed on both a MAC and pc. It appears that CS does not support the DS raw files. Any suggestions short of purchasing two versions of CS2 on how to process these RAW files in CS.

Alchemist

Rhys
05-02-2006, 01:40 PM
We have Pentax DS cameras and Photoshop CS (not CS2), installed on both a MAC and pc. It appears that CS does not support the DS raw files. Any suggestions short of purchasing two versions of CS2 on how to process these RAW files in CS.

Alchemist

It appears that the update is only available for CS2. I found the RAW update for Photoshop Elements is only available for a different version from mine. Am I going to purchase it? Nope. I'm going to use the software that came with my camera (which really ain't bad).

You could try converting to DNG using their free DNG converter if CS will work with DNG.

jeisner
05-03-2006, 06:06 AM

Alchemist

Obviously adobe want to force you into their overpriced product upgrade cycle...

Try a free converter like raw shooter, or give the bibble trial a go, it is a very cheap product for what it offers (much cheaper than CS2 upgrade) and well worth a try..

www.bibblelabs.com

CptOfGondor
05-03-2006, 06:28 AM
Some of the Pentax *ist DS owners reported that just using the supplied Raw converter worked really well and was easy to use.

Rhys
05-03-2006, 09:13 AM
I'd love to use Linux but while I'm satisfied with the quality of many of the components, I find photo processing and RAW image manipulation are what really lets it down (and the cretinous jokes that the programmers slip in). I could let the 12-year-old style graphics slide.

jeisner
05-03-2006, 04:15 PM
I'd love to use Linux but while I'm satisfied with the quality of many of the components, I find photo processing and RAW image manipulation are what really lets it down (and the cretinous jokes that the programmers slip in). I could let the 12-year-old style graphics slide.

I'm back to usinng windows ATM (new company laptop) but Bibble is provided in both windows and linux binaries, another reason to support them ;-)

Rhys
05-03-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm back to usinng windows ATM (new company laptop) but Bibble is provided in both windows and linux binaries, another reason to support them ;-)

It's a pity that Bibble (the version I tried) won't sharpen the photos.

I quite like what I can do with Canon Zoom Browser too.

jeisner
05-04-2006, 03:48 AM
Strange, sharpening works fine for me... Maybe try a newer version?

Rhys
05-04-2006, 06:07 AM
Strange, sharpening works fine for me... Maybe try a newer version?

Bibble pro or Bibble lite? I used Bibble lite a few weeks ago under Windows.

jeisner
05-05-2006, 07:04 AM
I use Bibble Lite (windows version)..

Dennet
05-05-2006, 01:39 PM

Alchemist

As far as I know Photoshop CS does support the DS raw files, but you need the Camera Raw 2.4 update. It's available on the Adobe website. The readme only states the *Ist D, but DS support is also included.