PDA

View Full Version : Which camera to buy? (what a dilemma)

txbrian
11-01-2004, 03:29 PM
My wife and I are very close to buying a FZ20, when a family member tells us that he wants to buy us a Canon EOS-20D. We're blown away!! Considering that we currently are using a Fuji FinePix 2600, what do you think the best camera would be? I am concerned about the learning curve and my wife is a 'point and shoot' personality. I really like the features of the FZ20, but when someone offers.......any input would be appreciated! I guess we are open to more possibilities now.

D70FAN
11-01-2004, 03:35 PM
My wife and I are very close to buying a FZ20, when a family member tells us that he wants to buy us a Canon EOS-20D. We're blown away!! Considering that we currently are using a Fuji FinePix 2600, what do you think the best camera would be? I am concerned about the learning curve and my wife is a 'point and shoot' personality. I really like the features of the FZ20, but when someone offers.......any input would be appreciated! I guess we are open to more possibilities now.

If there are no strings attached... jump all over that 20D!!! You can buy an FZ3 as the backup later. Or better yet I'll send you an FZ20 and you send me the 20D. ;)

The learning curve is minor compared to the cost savings. See if that family member is throwing in a couple of IS lenses as well. :)

txbrian
11-01-2004, 03:41 PM
That is another consideration...zoom. How much is it going to cost to get a zoom lens comparable the the 12x of the FZ20? Thanks for the input!

PixChick
11-01-2004, 03:46 PM

Well, I guess it really depends on your needs and wants but if it were me, I would never turn down an offer like that!!!! Are they going to include any lenses with it--that is something to consider too. This is totally my opinion and you can just ignore it if it sounds bad to you. You already have the Fuji, so you can keep it as a point and shoot, or if you are really wanting to get rid of it, sell it and get a Canon A75 to use "on the go" while you have fun learning and playing with the 20D. You can go to your local camera store and look at the 20D, see how it feels in your hands, look at how the menu systems work, etc. If you feel like it is too much for you and you would never use it, then tell your family member "thank you so much for your offer--we were actually looking at the FZ-20 and think that would be much more suitable for us."

Like I said though, if it were me --I wouldn't pass that one up.

D70FAN
11-01-2004, 04:56 PM
That is another consideration...zoom. How much is it going to cost to get a zoom lens comparable the the 12x of the FZ20? Thanks for the input!

I cant believe that you will be using 12X zoom on a daily basis. Not only that you can get a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM lens for around $400. At 450mm equivelent that gives you a little better reach than the FZ20. Yes it is an IS lens! Matched to the 18-55 kit lens and you're in business (you'll never notice that 20mm gap between lenses).