PDA

View Full Version : Jpeg ??

andrea
11-01-2004, 03:18 PM
I think I have a pretty simple question. I am looking to buy a Canon A75. It records images as JPEGs. I read a review that stated that it was too bad it didn't record in RAW so that you could edit an image in Photoshop, but doesn't Photoshop open JPEGs? I should be able to edit the image in Photoshop, shouldn't I?

D70FAN
11-01-2004, 03:26 PM
I think I have a pretty simple question. I am looking to buy a Canon A75. It records images as JPEGs. I read a review that stated that it was too bad it didn't record in RAW so that you could edit an image in Photoshop, but doesn't Photoshop open JPEGs? I should be able to edit the image in Photoshop, shouldn't I?

Not a problem. JPEG was around way before RAW, and is still the format of choice in the world. In my personal opinion RAW is over-rated. You still have a lot of image control in Photoshop using JPEG. so go for that A75 without angst.

RAW has it's place, but not in normal consumer photography. When you turn pro, or take up photography as a serious (means spend many $), then RAW might be important.

Have fun!

andrea
11-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Thanks! I probably should not have second guessed myself on this one. I actually looking for a camera that I can go to social events with and not be expected to take all the great pictures, which is what happens when I show up with my Nikon N90!

maflynn
11-02-2004, 11:12 AM
To add to the discussion there is not one raw format like there is jpg, there's a canon flavor, there's a Nikon. It seems for the most part each manufacturer has there own raw format. Adobe is trying to corral them in recently by creating a single file format (dng I think) to unify this mess.

Mike

D70FAN
11-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Thanks! I probably should not have second guessed myself on this one. I actually looking for a camera that I can go to social events with and not be expected to take all the great pictures, which is what happens when I show up with my Nikon N90!

The A75 is perfectly unassuming. And I agree that one of the downsides to my D70 is that people expect studio quality pictures from normal lighting. The 50mm f1.8 can come close, but...

So I take the Nikon 990 or Sony S85 for those occasions.

Enjoy.

Terracotta
11-02-2004, 02:11 PM
I like my A95 a lot, I got a damn nice 5MP camera for the money & I think the A75 is the same at 3.2MP. RAW is a nice toy at best and with an A series camera I don't know if it would very useful in the real-world, JPEG is really where it's at and tbh the super-fine & even fine quality images are more than good enough for almost anything you'll be doing and you'll be able to read it in any old image processing app that's worth it's salt.