PDA

View Full Version : FZ20 reviews going bad??

vasanthd
11-01-2004, 12:22 PM
Hello all,
I am a amateur photographer. I was determined to buy the FZ20 after seeing all its reviews on the net. But today after seeing some reviews in here made me to think again :confused: - The noise issues, distortions, image quality...!

I have seen sample snaps from the FZ20's and most of them are hazy. I dont think if its the cameras problem or problem with the weather. If anyone could show some bright outdoor snaps from FZ20, it would be great! I would definately want to take some bright snaps without any loss of colors esp. grassy green and skyish blue. Will that possible in FZ20?

Also the sensor size - 1/2.5 ", is this an acceptable size?

Also can anyone tell me what will be the advantages for me when I spend some extra $$ for the Nikon 8800 when compared to the FZ20??

Thanks a lot!
Regards Vas :rolleyes:

Turbosloth
11-01-2004, 12:46 PM
You can adjust Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation from the factory defaults to get better color. I'm guessing most of the review photos out there are just quick pictures, with all the Picture Adjustments at default.

lumixfan
11-01-2004, 12:50 PM
I have a few bright shots taken outdoor taken this weekend at Harpers Ferry, West Virginia and at a local lake. The pictures are excellent.

More you research a product, more problems you will see and more good things you will hear. I have experienced this and after a poing not worth it. Most times it is photographers fault and not cameras. I noticed that just because we have latest and greatest cameras does not transform us into National Geographic Photographers. Rather, I saw a series of photographs taken by Nat Geo photos's with point and shoots.

I will try to post here in couple of days, but most reviews I would say are biased. If there is a major problem, reviewers at site like dpreview, dcresource, steve-gigicam would have caught it. They do it for a living.

Also it is expectation, If one is coming from a Digital SLR world, they may be disappointed. Again I am fully happy with my first digital camera purchase.

vasanthd
11-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Hey lumixfan, turbosloth and all,
Thanks for your replies. I would like to know one more this - The lens filters. Is it possible to attach the lens filters only to the lens hood? Does that mean when packing, your FZ20 is without a lens filter? Istnt that a problem? Also let me know if fitting-unfiting the lens hood very often; Is it easy to do? How does it work?

To lumixfan: Do post your Harpers Ferry's snaps when you are free. Thanks!

Thanks.
Regards,
Vas :rolleyes:

PixChick
11-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Hello all,
I am a amateur photographer. I was determined to buy the FZ20 after seeing all its reviews on the net. But today after seeing some reviews in here made me to think again :confused: - The noise issues, distortions, image quality...!

I have seen sample snaps from the FZ20's and most of them are hazy. I dont think if its the cameras problem or problem with the weather. If anyone could show some bright outdoor snaps from FZ20, it would be great! I would definately want to take some bright snaps without any loss of colors esp. grassy green and skyish blue. Will that possible in FZ20?

Also the sensor size - 1/2.5 ", is this an acceptable size?

Also can anyone tell me what will be the advantages for me when I spend some extra $$ for the Nikon 8800 when compared to the FZ20??

Thanks a lot!
Regards Vas :rolleyes:

The FZ-20 is a very capable camera. IMO, any "problems" in pictures that you have seen can occur with any digital camera--maybe some more than others of course. You also have to remember that there are many factors such as weather conditions, skill of photographer, etc that can affect the picture quality. It is true that different cams will produce some color variations and you have to decide on your personal taste. A camera may tend to be on the "warm" side and some people may prefer that to the actual colors in the original scene. I think I tend to prefer my pictures to fault on the "cool" side (more to blue) if there is a fault, but to honest, the FZ-20 is pretty accurate. If there is a color issue, it is most likely due to user error, like overexposure or a wrong white balance setting. I think there are other prosumer cams that can do just as good a job, but I don't know if I think there are any better prosumer cams. If you have already weeded through the details of what you desire in a camera (such as how many manual controls, ability to use external flash, long shutter speed, etc) and the FZ-20 fits the bill, then I don't think you will be dissapointed. I had to work with the cam a bit to see what it could do once I got it, but I think that for any cam that will be the case to get the best from it (unless it is solely point and shoot). My only other real considerations when I bought a cam were the Oly C-770 and the Sony F-717. I decided that I didn't want to deal with the Memory Stick and bigger size on the F-717, plus I didn't think it was a long enough zoom for me. I also was very drawn to the Image Stabilization feature on the FZ cam. I do not have steady hands at all. I probably would have been happy with the OLY, even with the trade-off of no OIS b/c it is smaller and has a better movie mode, which I would use. But am I dissapointed with the FZ-20? Not at all.

Oh, and here is a sampling of some pics I took on a clear day at the zoo recently. The first was at full zoom and the second at 7x zoom. Increasing the zoom supposedly increases haze, from what I have heard--but you know, that is just a theory I guess:

http://philippians.smugmug.com/photos/9974919-M.jpg

http://philippians.smugmug.com/photos/9974881-M.jpg

Any haze?? I am a total amatuer, just so you know.

HawkeyeLonewolf
11-01-2004, 02:08 PM
http://www.peidev.com/peimain/img/photos/clouds.jpg (Clouds)

http://www.peidev.com/peimain/img/photos/Train.jpg

http://www.peidev.com/peimain/img/photos/Woods.jpg

http://www.peidev.com/peimain/img/photos/lift.jpg

zookeeper
11-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Here's a pic with my FZ-20.....I don't think it's bad, do you???
the Zookeeper.....

Well, I thought I attached a pic.....But it must of went to outerspace??