View Full Version : Casio Exilim EX-S500 ISO TEST

04-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Hey, everyone. I remember browsing through the forums and someone interested in the S600 wanted to see some test photos. Anyways, I own the S500 and not much has changed in the new model except the addition of an extra megapixel.

Casio has been one of those brands that seem to sit in the sidelines, its quality always in question. Of course, on top of that, my critism was rather harsh and I made the mistake of basing them solely on observed 100% crops when the images where of infact, decent quality at normal view. I've realized that I never really put alot of effort into getting the details right when it came down using the S500. Instead relying on the various scene modes and then complaining about the photo quality afterwards. (I've learned some new things visiting DCRP, DPReview and Steve's and I'm finding new things in this camera everyday.)

Regarding image quality, the Casio cameras are quite comparable. Sure it looks noisy close up, but I've made pretty decent 8x10 prints.

So there's my little spiel. LoL. Probably lost half the readers at this point. So without further ado, here's my image test done at various ISO with my S500.
1. The Setup (Constant for all Test Shots)
Camera : Casio Exilim EX-S500 - Grey (photo not shown)
Background : 2 sheets of Blue 8.5"x11" paper. (One flat on the table and the other placed straight up.)
Subject : Pentax MZ-M 35mm Film SLR Body w/ Pentax FG Battery Grip
Lightning : 20W IKEA fluorescent self ballasted lamp (Note : The light didn't move or change in brightness during the duration of the test.)
Tripod : Soligor MB100 - 960g (Raised to about table level)
Shooting Parameters : Default settings, Self Timer - 2 secs. (This ensured no handshake whatsoever.)
2. The Photos (25% Original Size)

ISO 50 - 1/8 sec. at f2.7

ISO 100 - 1/8 sec. at f2.7

ISO 200 - 1/8 sec. at f2.7

ISO 400 - 1/8 sec. at f2.7

ISO 1600 - 1/30 sec. at f2.7
NOTE : The max ISO you can manually select is 400. However but picking the "High Sensitivity" BestShot Mode and setting ISO to "Auto", the camera will boost up to 1600. (In doing so, the camera also changed to a slightly faster shutter speed which was out of my control.) The camera might also pick and have done in the past, ISO 800, but if I move the light, the comparisons are no longer vaild.

================================================== ===
3. The Crops (100% of Original, selected area constant for all photos.)
================================================== ===
As I was uploading the photos to Photobucket, all sizes where constant and file sizes under 1mb. The crops where all done at 100% totalling to 1060x420 pixel images. For some reason Photobucket decided to half size my photos. So I'll be hosting these from my account at freewebtown.com.

http://www.freewebtown.com/cptofgondor/S500/CIMG2143-50b.JPGISO 50

http://www.freewebtown.com/cptofgondor/S500/CIMG2144-100b.JPGISO 100

http://www.freewebtown.com/cptofgondor/S500/CIMG2145-200b.JPGISO 200

http://www.freewebtown.com/cptofgondor/S500/CIMG2146-400b.JPGISO 400

http://www.freewebtown.com/cptofgondor/S500/CIMG2142-1600b.JPGISO 1600

4. Closing Remarks
LoL, got a taste of the kinda work and dedication that Jeff and many others put towards creating a such wonderful and in-depth collection of camera reviews. With this test, people can see first hand down to the pixels, a Casio in action. This will add another aid to DCRP members and vistors when it comes to the sometimes tough choices invovled when buying a digital camera!

I hope you all found this helpful/useful!

04-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Oh yes, feel free to express your opinions on the Casio Exilim EX-S500, the test, the results and any questions you might have!

Any feedback is also appreciated!

[EDIT] : I just remembered that on "Auto" BestShot Mode, the camera predominantly selects ISO 800. Sorry about that. I only realized now. Yea, so just bare with the ISO range for now. I guess maybe tomorrow or the day after, I'll redo the ISO test shots and grab the 800 shot too so you guys can see the full progression! (50-100-200-400-800-1600)

05-28-2006, 12:59 AM
I just bought the S600. Could you list some tips on how to take the best photos/have the best configurations?

05-28-2006, 08:56 AM
The S500 and the S600 are fairly similar save the new 6.0MP sensor. What I find is that the S500 can be very unpredictable in its Best Shot Modes.

Like Auto for example will usually grab an ISO of 400 which usually leads to some picture noise. Alot of the Best Shot modes had different tendencies towards a certain setting. Like with Macro, I find that sometimes "Food" works a little better than "Collection" lets say. Always depress the shutter down halfway to activate the AF before you shoot. Make sure what you see in the LCD is the way you want it. If not, you can always change your "BS" Mode and try that one.

Also, depending on how your shot turns out, you can always manually tweak certan things. When taking a photo, press [MENU] and go right to the [QUALITY] submenu. There you can change stuff like your ISO sensitivity,
EV shift, White Balance, Metering, Filters, Saturation and more.

And always make sure you got sufficient lightning!