PDA

View Full Version : monolights

Doug
04-29-2006, 06:12 AM
OK, all you professionals out there, this is for you. As you all know, one of the biggest problems we have is lighting. I visited a professional photographer yesterday and he had a setup where one monolight has 500 w/s and the other 360 w/s. He told me that his 500 one he usually doesn't go at full power. I tried the system with my camera, and I had to dial my setting to about f16 at 1/320 sec or the picture would be too bright. I looked at systems and as you know, they are very pricey. I saw a 300 w/s system with 2 lights (both are 300) that is actually affordable. My thinking is that I don't have to stop the camera down so much and have the shutter go a bit slower too to let in more of the light. So am I thinking on the right course. Will the 2 300 w/s work, or is there something I am missing. Thanks!!
--doug

calona
05-04-2006, 01:12 AM
What sort of photography are you trying to do ? Portraiture, groups,
Weddings ? I once went to a lighting seminar by a so called expert and he had the main light, (flash ) set for F16. I had to get him to move the thing so far away so that I could expose at f2.8 on the subjects face and thus blur the background.
Too many lights and too much flash might be ok for fashion photography but not for ordinary people. Cheers.