PDA

View Full Version : FZ20 Silver vs Black

picchioblue
11-01-2004, 06:20 AM
Hello All,

as in the subject, are there any differences other than the colors ? Anything about weight or robustness ? Which one do you recommend ?

Sorry for my poor english. Thanks.

Jim Last
11-01-2004, 06:32 AM
It really is down to personal preference

The silver finish looks a bit cheap in my view (no offence to any of you out there with the silver! :)

The black finish certainly gives it the look of a DSLR and most of the manufacturers of Prosumers seem to go with black.

As for differences, I am not sure if there are any, I fell in love with the black FZ20 :D and so didn't even look into the silver one.

smac
11-01-2004, 07:16 PM
My understanding is that flat black finishes are less reflective and therefore less distracting. I guess that would be good if you were doing a lot of nature photography and did want to attract the attention of that Grizzly bear. ;)

Otherwise I can't think of any good reason. Get the one that looks good to you.

Good Luck, Smac

Treasuredude
11-02-2004, 05:57 AM
Also, for some weird reason, I have seen retailers charging more for the black versions. I guess they figure more people want black and are willing to pay for it.

I just ordered the FZ3. I wish that came in black.

John_Reed
11-02-2004, 06:10 AM
Hello All,

as in the subject, are there any differences other than the colors ? Anything about weight or robustness ? Which one do you recommend ?

Sorry for my poor english. Thanks.Poor English? I'd say your English is perfect. Don't worry about that. I shot many photos with a silver FZ1 before it died under my "surgical knife" (actually a Phillips-head screwdriver), and I liked the color a lot. One thing that silver does is "mask" your camera's true capability. When I pointed my FZ1 at someone from across the street, they didn't know that their head just barely filled my viewfinder; but nowadays, when I do the same with my black FZ10, they know right away. The black draws attention to the camera, makes it look menacing. So I find it harder to get candid people shots with the FZ10. Just a vote for "silver" in an army of "black" votes. :rolleyes:

pwiles1968
11-02-2004, 11:16 AM
I am looking for a Silver FZ20 and can not find one (not at the discount prices anyway) Jessops do not even have a code for it.

I will probably get a black one but I would vote silver if there was a poll.

Not too worried about Grizzlies personally, more worried about the Wife when I trample over the daffodils in the back garden. :D

ldoubell
11-02-2004, 01:39 PM
The same manual comes with the silver and black, so I would guess that they are identical except for color, so choose the one you like the most.
I personally prefer the black because it sort of looks more professional, but I actually have the silver, because here in South Africa, they are only available in silver from official dealers.
But as a new (read amateur) "photaggrapher" all I can say is - silver or black, who cares, just make sure you get one :D

FZ20knowitall
11-04-2004, 04:43 PM
Unfortunately, the silver camera isn't made as well, and the ccd chip is much smaller. It doesn't take an SD card, it takes 8 track tapes which are hard to find. There is a plus side, there is a little compartment to fill water up in it, and when you take the picture you have the option of pushing the "other" shutter button and squirting water all over your subject (great if you are a clown!).

I'm sorry just had to do that! I agree that the black looks more professional, but I have had a few people tell me that my FZ20 (black) looks "plasticky". The best thing to do is look at both models and decide for yourself. The only thing that I could think of is if you are shooting in an enclosed space with a flash or strobe, the black would reflect less light thereby causing less reflection. Also in wildlife photography, or even candid photography, people's eye are drawn to light colored objects. The black would be more "stealth-y". Sorry about the first paragraph, I couldn't resist.

Quentin
11-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Im in the market for an FZ20 and was trying out the camera at a local camera shop (Kirks in Ringwood) and the salesman told me he would choose silver over black any day, and the reason makes a lot of sense. I was set on black but will now buy silver. Black absorbs heat, Silver reflects it, So in our hot summer conditions (Australia) Everyone knows computers - and more importantly CCD chips dont like heat. Anything over about 35C and you will start getting a lot of noise on your images, Imagine a black camera in a parked car in summer. Meybe this very reason they dont bother with black FZ20's in South Africa. Hmm meybe a black camera bag isnt such a good idea either!

FZ20knowitall
11-18-2004, 01:51 AM
that is a good point, but if this were the case, then why is almost every professional camera black? do you think that the photo companies never realized that black absorbed heat? Maybe we should tell them, or keep it a secret and giggle every time they walk by......

Anex
11-18-2004, 08:50 AM
Perhaps the best reason of all to get the silver FZ20: my wife thought it was pretty :p

pixelperfect
11-25-2004, 10:40 AM
I do not yet have one of these magnificent cameras but I personally think the black camera looks like a Jeep and the silver looks classy like a BMW. But to those of us who are secure in their manly-hood, We have our choice!