PDA

View Full Version : Pictures Problem

sandrey
04-26-2006, 08:10 PM
I got all my pictures cropped in the top and in the bottom by like 1/3 of the inch. On my camera's display and on my computer they look OK, but when I get my prints they all cropped in the bottom and in the top. Does anybody know why is that?

Thanks.

Norm in Fujino
04-27-2006, 02:26 AM
I got all my pictures cropped in the top and in the bottom by like 1/3 of the inch. On my camera's display and on my computer they look OK, but when I get my prints they all cropped in the bottom and in the top. Does anybody know why is that?
Thanks.

Because automated printing services automatically crop the pictures to fit the standard paper sizes. If you want the whole thing, you've got to specify that fact.
(Whether it can be done depends on who you go to for the prints.)

David Metsky
04-27-2006, 07:31 AM
The image that your camera takes has a width/hight ratio of 4:3. Standard print sizes are a variety of ratios (3x5, 4x6, 5x7, 8x10) so your original image will not fit exactly. The printer can do one of two things:
- Reduce the image size slightly so whole image fits, leaving black space top and bottom (like letterboxing a movie on your TV)
- Crop the image, leaving a bit off the sides or top/bottom but using up the whole piece of paper.

You have to tell them which you want.

-dave-

sandrey
04-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks alost guys.

UtahRon
05-01-2006, 04:23 PM
If you crop to the same proportion that's being printed, you should get all of the image printed...ie. 4X6, 5X7, 8x10 etc. I don't believe the automated printers will mess it up as long as you crop correctly. Good luck.

AZImmortal
05-26-2006, 10:23 AM
The image that your camera takes has a width/hight ratio of 4:3. Standard print sizes are a variety of ratios (3x5, 4x6, 5x7, 8x10) so your original image will not fit exactly. The printer can do one of two things:
- Reduce the image size slightly so whole image fits, leaving black space top and bottom (like letterboxing a movie on your TV)
- Crop the image, leaving a bit off the sides or top/bottom but using up the whole piece of paper.

You have to tell them which you want.

-dave-
There's actually one more option (that Norm in Fujino might have been hinting at) which doesn't involve black bars or cropping. It's using sizes that were made specifically for digital prints. Many services (such as Winkflash) have sizes like 4 x 5.3, which retain the entire original image but have custom sizes. Whether or not the custom size is a problem depends on the user, but I just wanted to throw this option out there. I personally prefer cropping my images myself so that I know exactly what I'm getting while still being able to use the normal print sizes.