PDA

View Full Version : Casio Exilim EX-Z1000?

CptOfGondor
04-26-2006, 04:23 PM
I have that bad feeling its going to bomb like the new Exilim Z850 that just got reviewed. I think its a case of bad sensor choice on top of other things.

My Exilim EX S500 gets pretty noisy even when there is adequate lightning. I actually find it kinda awkward to have to get through like the various BS Modes to find the ISO 50s and 100s and then various side elements like Macro, Scenery etc.

About the new sensor. 1/1.8" doesn't seem all that big. I mean, the Z850 and Z750 has the same size too and the jump from 7MP to 8MP saw a major noise jump as seen in dpreview's camera evaluations. I'm kinda skeptical about the Z1000. There's that feeling its going to get killed with noise.

The Panasonic FZ30 drew alot of attention. I was actually thinking about saving up for that thing when it first came out. It uses a slightly larger 1/1.8" CCD compared to the other 12x Lumix zooms which used the 1/2.5" size. But the FZ30 got marred by high levels of noise. I think there's probably a megapixel limit to these sensors sizes and 8's going overboard for the 1/1.8".

Also similar observations with sensor size affecting noise levels in Sony's Prosumer Cameras.
DSC-F828's CCD vs DSC-R1's CMOS
8.80 x 6.60 mm-----21.5 x 14.4 mm

Anyways, it was something that I've been thinking about alot lately and just wanted to get some input. So what do you guys and gals think about the Casio EX Z1000? and about CCD sensor sizes?

clocker
05-03-2006, 07:26 AM
The megapixel wars... really stupid.

Dark Cobra
05-14-2006, 08:31 AM
I agree . . . more is not always better. This thing is going to be a "noise box" for sure. Casio is betting the 10 megapix badging itself will lure a lot of unsophisticated buyers . . . and they're right . . . it will. But shame on you Casio. Why intentionally try to fool people just to make a sale. This will no doubt backfire as they will surely be "one-time" Casio sales once they see the results of their purchase. I can't think of a better way to destroy the great progress Casio has made in recent years. What are you thinking here Casio?

pcshutterbug
06-12-2006, 08:45 PM
It is sad to see the rapid deterioration of product being put out by Casio since the promising earlier versions of the Exilim. It may be too late for Casio to not be impacted by those disappointed with the later versions.

lantony
06-17-2006, 01:38 PM
I agree . . . more is not always better. This thing is going to be a "noise box" for sure. Casio is betting the 10 megapix badging itself will lure a lot of unsophisticated buyers . . . and they're right . . . it will. But shame on you Casio. Why intentionally try to fool people just to make a sale. This will no doubt backfire as they will surely be "one-time" Casio sales once they see the results of their purchase. I can't think of a better way to destroy the great progress Casio has made in recent years. What are you thinking here Casio?

I didn't buy the z1000 for the 2 more megapixel but for all the other incredible features ;) The picture quality is better than previous z850 (less noise) so this camera is perfect for me.

danny3806
07-10-2006, 11:12 AM
as long as the camera takes better than 8 mp pictures its worth the money?

derekddd
07-23-2006, 02:17 PM
I didn't buy the z1000 for the 2 more megapixel but for all the other incredible features ;) The picture quality is better than previous z850 (less noise) so this camera is perfect for me.

I agree , that camera is better than Z850 in term of noise and resolution , I mean pure resolution and I think most of people trashing this things down here will be amazed or atlest shocked as they see the pictures taken with the 10mp camera.

It is better and more efficiently designed than all other small tiny pocketable cameras out there , but unfortunately those close minded poeple just judge it as gimmicky , even without seeing those pics taken with it because it's got 1/1.8 10mp sensor .

That is ridiculous , not because of its 10mp sensor , though because of its LCD , the resolution ,the clean color reproduction and ease of use , it is a nice camera .

It is better than all SD series cameras of Canon and Sony cyber shot series cameras , faster, better and cleaner .

Take a serious look at those pics without prejudice like this is a cheap watch company .

nepal
07-25-2006, 03:07 AM
This thing is going to be a "noise box" for sure. Casio is betting the 10 megapix badging itself will lure a lot of unsophisticated buyers . . . and they're right . . . it will. But shame on you Casio. Why intentionally try to fool people just to make a sale. This will no doubt backfire as they will surely be "one-time" Casio sales once they see the results of their purchase. I can't think of a better way to destroy the great progress Casio has made in recent years. What are you thinking here Casio?

I couldn't agree more. I bought the Z1000 2 weeks ago. I was so disappointed with poor image quality that I finally returned it. pictures were not really sharp and unless taken in broad daylight extremely noisy. in the end this model might indeed ruin Casio's reputation ...

derekddd
07-25-2006, 06:27 AM
Do you have this with you ?

And do you check all pictures that are taken with this ?

If you did not , do not assume that this produces alot of noise , this does not .

I think this has significantly lower noise inclusion than most of other small cameras with 1/1.8 ccd .

And this does not ruin the Company reputaion , though improves it .

Well check out CC's web site and see this is selling well or not .

I think this brand is underestimated by people review this things because the company is more well known for being cheap digital watch company.

But The company was the first to introduce a consumer level of digicam in 1995 before Kodak , Canon and Sony.

So it deserves to be taken more seriously.

nepal
07-26-2006, 12:41 AM

So it [Casio] deserves to be taken more seriously.

I definitely take Casio seriously. Otherwise I would not have bought the Z1000and would not have given away a 5MP model to my parents last Christmas. I like Casio and it's style, especially the black models. To me Casio reminds me instantly of Cameras and not calculators ...

however, unfortunately image quality of the Z1000 was terrible. especially automatic mode was useless. I was even wondering if maybe my Z1000 was not working properly. reading some other comments in various forums and some tests it seems that is was not a problem with my specific model. what really strikes me is that feedback is either very positive or very negative ???

nepal
07-26-2006, 12:51 AM

So it [Casio] deserves to be taken more seriously.

I definitely take Casio seriously. Otherwise I would not have bought the Z1000and would not have given away a 5MP model to my parents last Christmas. I like Casio and it's style, especially the black models. To me Casio reminds me instantly of Cameras and not calculators ...

however, unfortunately image quality of the Z1000 was terrible. especially automatic mode was useless. I was even wondering if maybe my Z1000 was not working properly. reading some other comments in various forums and some tests it seems that is was not a problem with my specific model. what really strikes me is that feedback is either very positive or very negative ???

Smokeyblog
07-26-2006, 04:35 AM
I was even wondering if maybe my Z1000 was not working properly. reading some other comments in various forums and some tests it seems that is was not a problem with my specific model. what really strikes me is that feedback is either very positive or very negative ???
Same story with the Fuji F30.....

kimnicho
10-26-2006, 09:01 PM
I realize that you already returned the Z1000 but for new owners out there, I have a couple of helpful tips. First, turn OFF the quick shutter default ! Go to MENU and it's under RECORD. Secondly, turn OFF the multi-focus MODE. This camera is capable of producing Stunning pics.

I couldn't agree more. I bought the Z1000 2 weeks ago. I was so disappointed with poor image quality that I finally returned it. pictures were not really sharp and unless taken in broad daylight extremely noisy. in the end this model might indeed ruin Casio's reputation ...

grumpy1
11-14-2006, 04:08 AM
I have been using the Z850 and at first the pictures were terrible,over exposed and over coloured and just not sharp.After trying various settings and reading lots of hints and tips I finally got there. Kimnicho is of course perfectly correct.

Users are pressing the shutter and just hoping for the best.It doesn`t work like that.This is a thinking mans p&s camera. Leave on the quick shutter and you are asking for problems as it will quickly take a picture BEFORE it is even focused.You must have on the 2 stage shutter,ie. focus then take picture.Also turn off the anti-shake as that will just increase iso, hence too much noise. Camera tends to overexposure so I set -1/3 or -2/3 for each shot.Turn down sharpening by one notch but leave contrast if you wish,turning down 1 notch is fine.I increase saturation by 1 notch.You can then check the exposure using the live histogram. I take it you are all noticing how many setting this camera does have?

The wonderful! Canon Ixus doesn`t give you this much scope.To me its not worth buying a camera if it has no live histogram.I regularly enlarge to 20 inch prints and these are always tack sharp,with stunning colour and detail. Learn how to operate it properly and you will soon realise this is unbeatable in the p&s world.Plus taking into account all the USEFUL features nothing out there can touch it.I say useful as I would never use "best shot" stick to ap.priority and store your settings for best results. Just figure out all the wonderful features this camera has then compare it to others-this surely leads the pack by a mile.

I am sorry but I cannot comment on the Z1000 as I havn`t used one,I do fancy one because I like the black one--how sad!! ---but I need to figure out how I will be able to gain control over the camera,not the other way around as it has no ap.priority. I am hoping all the settings can be done in programme mode--anyone know please?

sleepyeyes
12-08-2006, 07:48 AM
I bought this casio 10mp camera last week and not happy with the image quality. So sold it on Ebay and bought a Canon SD 800 IS. This one is really good.
I owned a kodak cx6330 3.1 mp camera. Its image quality was very good. After few years bought the new lumix lx2 camera last month. But it was complicated and the image quality was not much better that my old kodak. So I sold it on Ebay and bought this Casio.