PDA

View Full Version : Just got my fz20. Some questions.

abcnubie
10-31-2004, 10:25 PM
After reading rave reviews of the fz20, I decided to buy one. Since I got home at night I started taking indoor photos of objects I had in the house. I don't know much about photography,so I mostly stuck to using regular defualt mode, the P setting or the A setting. I think my pictures came out a bit blurry. Maybe its my unsteady hand (I thought the image stabilization feature was suppose to take care of that, its defualtly at one) or maybe my camera is defective. I also don't understand why the camera loses focus sometimes when you zoom into an object close to you. Anyway here are some pics, that i resized.

http://www.pbase.com/abcnubie/inbox
any comments would be nice.

jbar
10-31-2004, 10:39 PM
The autofocus will hunt around in lower light situations. Put it on the spot mode and it will work better.

Jayde
11-01-2004, 12:01 AM
abcnubie
hi
you say..
"I also don't understand why the camera loses focus sometimes when you zoom into an object close to you. Anyway here are some pics, that i resized. "

the zoom wont focus at close distances.. jus zoom out till its in focus..
zoom is for long distances.. its not a camera error !

nooner
11-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Try spot focus. Use mode 2 OIS. Also your shutter speeds of 1/2 and 1/4 second are long and require a steady hand. OIS can only do so much.

propwash
11-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Are you sure your camera is not in the manual focus mode? Look on the left side of the lens barrel and make sure that the switch is in the auto position. It should have been that way when you took it out of the box, but things have a way of getting changed during shipping, and it is possible that it somehow got moved.

abcnubie
11-02-2004, 05:29 AM
propwash
My camera was on autofocus, which I think is default settings. My last fz20 had manual setting as default though. Its probably cause the retailer (some large electronics chain) sold me a returned camera. I went back and got another one.

anyway I posted more pics
I posted additional pictures. The text picture looks alright, as does the tree.
The flower and the leaves picture looks kind of weird. Maybe I'm not taking it correctly.

any additional comments ? thanks.

genece
11-02-2004, 06:12 AM
I do not think some of those are too bad. The exposure on some are 1/4 to 1/2 second .. very hard to hand hold at that shutter speed.
The flower picture, it seems the camera picked the wrong place to focus. but it might be because of shooting into the sun.
You might want to try spot focus.
Just try different settings you will get it.

PixChick
11-02-2004, 06:14 AM
propwash
My camera was on autofocus, which I think is default settings. My last fz20 had manual setting as default though. Its probably cause the retailer (some large electronics chain) sold me a returned camera. I went back and got another one.

anyway I posted more pics
I posted additional pictures. The text picture looks alright, as does the tree.
The flower and the leaves picture looks kind of weird. Maybe I'm not taking it correctly.

any additional comments ? thanks.

if you don't have steady hands, then it is not likely you will get a good pic at less than 1/20 of a sec shutter speed (but it looks like one of your pics came out pretty well at 1/8). Your worst pics have shutter speeds of 1/4 and 1/2 sec. I have seen very few people that are able to handhold at these speeds even with OIS and get good results. You managed to do a decent job at 1/8--that is more than most people would ask for, even with OIS. OIS will not make any and every pic sharp. It will allow you to handhold at slower speeds than without (usually about down to 1/20 sec whereas with no OIS it is about 1/60 sec). It is not a cure-all though.

I'd say your cam works fine.

Gail
06-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Hello:
I am so happy to have found this forum and I recently bought my FZ 20 Lumix camera....In learning I thought I'd ask for help regarding how I will be using this camera.
I make/sell dolls. This is my primary function.
Below is the link to my old auction which shows the photos I take.
Since, I'm just learning and don't want to be too overwhelmed....I was wondering if I should use the portrait mode or the macro mode....
Also, can I manually focus on my picture in any mode or will the camera over-ride my manual focus?
I also don't like to use the flash as with my old camera it would wipe out the picture...
It's important to get details...
I am also taking a photoshop elements 3 class so I can play with my pictures afterwards....
Another question on noise....should I handle the noise after I take the picture using photoshop?
Any ideas you have I would love to know....
Thanks so very much.
With appreciation,
Gail :-)
My address:
gmci@ptd.net
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5584820188&ssPageName=STRK:MEUS:IT

emalvick
06-08-2005, 09:22 AM
You should test a few of the modes out... See what works for you. Macro may work for one person but not another, and so on. I would probably try the shot in P mode first, and not worry about a special setting at first. Depending on how much you know, you may even want to go into shutter or aperture priority. This can help you if you don't want to use flash.

However, if you are taking the shots indoors without a flash, you probably should be sure to have a tripod. The image stabilization will only do so much. If the coloring seems off, you may need to adjust the white balance as well.

When it comes to noise, be sure you have any that bothers you. If you do, see what the ISO settings of your shots are and perhaps try to take shots at lower ISO if possible. I don't know a whole lot about Photoshop Elements, but I think the newer versions may have a built in noise filter. Neat Image is a free noise filter you can use independent of Photoshop. There are pay versions that you can plugin to photoshop as well.

Erik

Phill D
06-08-2005, 05:19 PM
abcnubie just incase focus distance was your problem have a look at the attached chart I created for my FZ20. It should help you pick distances & zoom settings that the camera will be able to focus on. With this camera it is very tempting to use that zoom to get close & go outside the minimum focus distance. In addition keep an eye on the green light in the viewfinder it helps a lot.

LoveLife
06-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Hello:
I am so happy to have found this forum and I recently bought my FZ 20 Lumix camera....In learning I thought I'd ask for help regarding how I will be using this camera.
I make/sell dolls. This is my primary function.
Below is the link to my old auction which shows the photos I take.
Since, I'm just learning and don't want to be too overwhelmed....I was wondering if I should use the portrait mode or the macro mode....
Also, can I manually focus on my picture in any mode or will the camera over-ride my manual focus?
I also don't like to use the flash as with my old camera it would wipe out the picture...
It's important to get details...
I am also taking a photoshop elements 3 class so I can play with my pictures afterwards....
Another question on noise....should I handle the noise after I take the picture using photoshop?
Any ideas you have I would love to know....
Thanks so very much.
With appreciation,
Gail :-)
My address:
gmci@ptd.net
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5584820188&ssPageName=STRK:MEUS:IT

I looked at your pictures. All of them can be handled by the FZ20 without a problem. The close-up shot of the baby’s face can be done with the macro setting at 4X, which is about 144mm. You should have a DTS of about 12". Make sure there is good light; place your subject by a window.

Manual focus using the ring on the barrel overrides the settings in any mode, unless you are using constant focus, which I do not recommend.

Never let the camera do noise correction, PP software is more powerful. If you can take your pictures at 50 or 80 ISO noise is not an issue. Make sure you have lots of natural light. Do not shoot wide open at f2.8, try and close down the shutter for more DOF detail.

Gail
06-10-2005, 05:38 AM
Thank you Erik:
Really appreciate the feedback...I'll play around a bit...
Enjoy..
Gail