PDA

View Full Version : shutter speed assignment.

LorraineB
04-25-2006, 04:10 PM
I am taking a two day intro class to digital photography. I have an Olympus C 765. The assignment is to have two pictures, one taken with an object that is in motion in focus, with the background blurry, the other is for the same scene but the foreground blurry and the background in focus, using the shutter speed both times to get the desired effects. I am having a problem figuring where to go in my menu to get the desired effects and just how to set it when I do find the right menu location. Can anyone help me with this?

ktixx
04-25-2006, 07:17 PM
I am taking a two day intro class to digital photography. I have an Olympus C 765. The assignment is to have two pictures, one taken with an object that is in motion in focus, with the background blurry, the other is for the same scene but the foreground blurry and the background in focus, using the shutter speed both times to get the desired effects. I am having a problem figuring where to go in my menu to get the desired effects and just how to set it when I do find the right menu location. Can anyone help me with this?
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/zoom/man_c765uz_e.pdf

Page 45

Norm in Fujino
04-26-2006, 08:40 AM

For #1, I would suggest panning the camera on a moving subject, like an automobile or bicycle. Shutter speed should be set for about 1/125 or more, with the zoom at wide angle. To set the shutter speed, you have to set the top dial to A/S/M setting. Then, press the OK button, right arrow to the menu so that the screen shows the A/S/M mode (probably 3rd item down). Right arrow again, then down to select the A/S/M mode, then right arrow and select "S" (shutter). Then OK. Once you're out of the menu, press the up/down buttons till you get 1/125 or higher shutter speed (this depends on how much light you have; if it's daylight in bright sunlight, shouldn't be any problem).

For the second shot, I'm not exactly sure what the issue is, but I guess you could use the same shutter speed, but don't pan the camera; instead, focus on the background, and when the bicycle (or walking person, car, etc.) passes in front of the camera, press the shutter. The background will be in focus, and the person/car/bicycle will be blurred as it passes across the lens. If necessary, you can reduce the shutter speed to 1/30 or 1/60 to be sure the moving object is slightly blurred.
*These comments are made based on the C-755, which I think has almost identical controls to the C-765.

Vich
04-26-2006, 07:10 PM
If you have trouble on the "subject blurry" shot, use a tripod with shutter speed at about 1/30th. Anything in-motion in your shot will be blury. You would need a tripod because at 1/30th, its hard to have anything in focus hand-held due to camera shake.