PDA

View Full Version : Shooting a White Dog?

MBCook
04-15-2006, 04:01 PM
We recently got our second white dog. I've been taking pictures of her, but I'm having a lot of trouble with over exposure when outside (the same trouble I've always had with our first dog). I can fix some of it in Photoshop and the fact I'm shooting RAW helps, but it's still there.

Does anyone have any tips for this kind of situation? My choice either seems to get most of the detail in our dog and have everything else (like the grass) look quite dark, or to have a large section of the dog be overexposed.

My polarizer doesn't help much either.

Ideas?

JLV
04-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Try setting your light meter to center or spot. If the white dog is in the center your photo should be exposed for the white dog.

cdifoto
04-15-2006, 06:22 PM
I don't know why you'd be having troubles with OVERexposure. Usually an all white subject will cause UNDERexposure because the meter wants to make the scene neutral grey.

Maybe just shoot on an overcast day when the sun isn't as harsh, or wait till the "magic hour" before sunset.

MBCook
04-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Waiting for overcast or afternoon (when there is enough shade to be in) is what I have been doing.

My over exposure comes from metering the scene for the average so that most of the scene (and most of the dog) is exposed right. That leaves the highlights on the dog overexposed. She is small enough that unless she fills the vast majority of the scene (hard to do without a telephoto lens because she moves so much) that she is only a small part of the scene relative to the grass she is running on.

Coltess
04-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Just set your Exposure Compensation to underexpose. Then just experiment to see how much to underexpose the shots. (I'm assuming the XT has Exposure Compensation in the menu somewhere if not on a dial.)

SamuraiJack
04-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Why would you want to shoot a perfectly good dog!? :confused: :confused: :D

tim11
04-16-2006, 04:11 PM
I had similar problem with black subjects such as a gorilla I shot at a zoo recently. It came up totally dark in the face.

TheObiJuan
04-16-2006, 07:34 PM
you have been given very valid advice. Follow it in comination to see what works best.
Too bad the XT doesnt have SPOT metering. It is always best to slightly underexpose the would-be highlights and bring them back in post.
Since you shoot in RAW you can "shoot to the right" too.
I would just try both and any combinations and see what you like best.

MBCook
04-17-2006, 07:25 AM
Thanks.

I was hoping there was some miracle technique that I was missing. Guess not.

Either way, I'm getting better at it.

pixelsorcery
04-23-2006, 10:47 AM
use center-weighted option selector, and train the focus point in the center.

~Kayla~
04-25-2006, 02:42 PM
I just posted pics of a white dog I happened upon in the park. I did tweak them just a bit in PS. I'm a noob with my S2 IS so the settings were fairly standard.