PDA

View Full Version : Just got a new FZ20, but...

slitman
10-30-2004, 06:56 AM
I am now really questioning the image quality of the pictures taken with this camera. I previous has a Canon S1 IS and it was horrible; difficult in low light, bad quality, etc.

So I started reading up on the new Panasonic line and the FZ20 seemed like the way to go. I am not looking to add an external flash and will primarily be using the "P" setting, but the 12x zoom is great.

While the FZ20 is still in the box, the question is, based on how I am looking to use the camera, will the FZ15 actually provide sharper, higher quality pictures?

slitman
10-30-2004, 02:52 PM
So of the over 80 views today, suggestions? comments?

Billiam
10-30-2004, 05:36 PM
...the question is, based on how I am looking to use the camera, will the FZ15 actually provide sharper, higher quality pictures?

How ARE you looking to use the camera?

Many people have posted beautiful shots from their FZ20's at:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033.
Nice shots are starting to show up from the FZ15, too. Take a look and see if you can tell the difference!

Payne
10-30-2004, 05:50 PM
Why are you questioning the image quality???
FZ20 is noisy but sharper than any DC on the market.
The noise does not affect the quality in no way.

slitman
10-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Mainly looking to use it indoors and outdoor and take advantage of the zoom capability, but mainly keeping the setting on "P" for point and shoot pictures for now.

How ARE you looking to use the camera?

Many people have posted beautiful shots from their FZ20's at:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033.
Nice shots are starting to show up from the FZ15, too. Take a look and see if you can tell the difference!

slitman
10-30-2004, 08:06 PM
I am questioned it in relation to the FZ15 as for many of the posts I have been reading, they seem to indicate for some reason the FZ15 has less noise than the FZ20 so does this translate to sharper pictures on the FZ15 compared to the FZ20?

Why are you questioning the image quality???
FZ20 is noisy but sharper than anyone DC on the market.
The noise does not affect the quality in no way.

D70FAN
10-30-2004, 08:50 PM
Mainly looking to use it indoors and outdoor and take advantage of the zoom capability, but mainly keeping the setting on "P" for point and shoot pictures for now.

I think P stands for "Program" mode. Similar to Auto.

PixChick
10-30-2004, 09:38 PM
I think P stands for "Program" mode. Similar to Auto.

I don't think it was meant that the "P" stood for "point and shoot" but that he (she?) would keep in in "P" mode for the purpose of point and shoot. That is how I read it anyway. Maybe Slitman can clear that up for us--funny how the English language can be sometimes:)

slitman
10-31-2004, 04:08 AM
Pixchick, you are correct!

I am mainly looking for "point and shoot" use with the camera. Based on that, would there really be much difference, if any, between the pictures produced by both cameras?

I don't think it was meant that the "P" stood for "point and shoot" but that he (she?) would keep in in "P" mode for the purpose of point and shoot. That is how I read it anyway. Maybe Slitman can clear that up for us--funny how the English language can be sometimes:)

D70FAN
10-31-2004, 07:37 AM

I am mainly looking for "point and shoot" use with the camera. Based on that, would there really be much difference, if any, between the pictures produced by both cameras?

You might want to compare cameras in "auto mode". I doubt seriously that you will see any difference excepta on careful examination at 100% crop.

Payne
10-31-2004, 07:48 AM

The only difference is the noise level - Fz15 is less noisy thanks to the Iso 64 - I do not notice color differences - besides you will only notice the noise at the full resolution - if you dont need big prints it is not an issue for you (however I've heard that even in prints you are not gonna see the noise - but I've not proved that - maybe you can ask Bob on the Steves forum.)
You have bought a $550 camera, you should take advantage of the whole capabilities of this great DC - not only "point and shot"

:)