PDA

View Full Version : Canon S2 IS

slitman
10-30-2004, 06:46 AM
Anyone know of when the successor, maybe the S2 IS, is coming out?

John Tropi
10-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Sorry, I don't.
But, as a wavering buyer, if I thought Canon would add a 2" LCD to the existing S1 IS, I would definitely wait for such a beast! :)

Jeff Keller
10-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Anyone know of when the successor, maybe the S2 IS, is coming out?

If I was to guess, I'd say next February, at least.

Rhys
10-30-2004, 05:01 PM
If I was to guess, I'd say next February, at least.

There's not much to improve on the S1. My only thoughts are that it should have:

5 or 6 megapixels
Improved low-light focussing
Make use of the 4gb cards and allow 4gb VGA fine videos, possibly with the full-frame TV standard as well.

aside from that, I'm pretty happy with my S1 and see no reason to upgrade.

slitman
10-30-2004, 05:06 PM
Really? I have been very disappointed. I sold my Canon G3 for the S1 IS and it was definitely a step down. Besides the zoom capability, there is not much more that has been satisfying.

Still cannot understand why Canon did not have a AF Illuminator and the camera constantly hunts when trying to focus.

There's not much to improve on the S1. My only thoughts are that it should have:

5 or 6 megapixels
Make use of the 4gb cards and allow 4gb VGA fine videos, possibly with the full-frame TV standard as well.

aaava
10-30-2004, 06:09 PM

5 or 6 megapixels

Hmm. Wait until you see the dreaded 'E18' error, that appears to affect ALL Canon digitals at some point. If you do a google search on 'Canon E18' you'll see tons of Canon ex-customers complaining about this. I'd just spent a LOT of time researching D-SLR's and decided on a PandS S1. The DAY I rec'd it, I tried to use the Canon lens adapter and BOTH the Professional Macro lens and the 2x zoom. On BOTH of them, whenever I tried to zoom out (less mm), I got this weird 'E18' error and the camera just completely locked up.

I spent four days on the phone with uncaring Canon tech support. Trust me. It was a nightmare. And if you do the search above, you'll see that there are a lot of people that have had the same experience. I have everything packed up (it spent about five total hours seeing the outside of the box), and plan on sending this defective piece of crap back to beachcamera.com, where I purchased it. Hopefully, they'll respond as their ratings state they will...refund me, help me decide on another camera (I've already decided on the Panasonic Lumix SZ10S), and I won't have to drag those people through the mud, and just contact my cc company to get my full refund.

But I'd be VERY worried if I owned a Canon. They're not built (obviously) to last. I'd never have known about this 'E18' error (which is essentially a stuck zoom), if it hadn't happened to me out of the box. It would've been nice if I'd have been able to find it discussed here, or in a couple of other forums and reviews I checked before buying it...but seeing as how Canon WASTED at least 12 hours of my life, trying to deny that this was a problem, then finally one tech guy admitted that it was...I plan on trying to inform as many consumers as possible of the inherent problems with the Canon Powershot S1 specifically, and the pathetic support of Canon in general.

This is a *really* bad camera. As someone who's been a photog for over 20 years, I've never had an experience like this one before. I still have my Nikon 850 with a bunch of lenses, but I need a digital these days.

So if anyone *does* buy the S1 after being warned here...and don't just believe me: go a google search as stated above and see for yourself...all I can say is I *tried* to warn ya...

Rhys
10-30-2004, 06:42 PM
I speak as somebody who's used SLRs since 1984 and digitals since 2001 during which I have used and owned several generations of digital cameras. I am very happy with my S1.

D70FAN
10-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Hmm. Wait until you see the dreaded 'E18' error, that appears to affect ALL Canon digitals at some point. If you do a google search on 'Canon E18' you'll see tons of Canon ex-customers complaining about this. I'd just spent a LOT of time researching D-SLR's and decided on a PandS S1. The DAY I rec'd it, I tried to use the Canon lens adapter and BOTH the Professional Macro lens and the 2x zoom. On BOTH of them, whenever I tried to zoom out (less mm), I got this weird 'E18' error and the camera just completely locked up.

I spent four days on the phone with uncaring Canon tech support. Trust me. It was a nightmare. And if you do the search above, you'll see that there are a lot of people that have had the same experience. I have everything packed up (it spent about five total hours seeing the outside of the box), and plan on sending this defective piece of crap back to beachcamera.com, where I purchased it. Hopefully, they'll respond as their ratings state they will...refund me, help me decide on another camera (I've already decided on the Panasonic Lumix SZ10S), and I won't have to drag those people through the mud, and just contact my cc company to get my full refund.

But I'd be VERY worried if I owned a Canon. They're not built (obviously) to last. I'd never have known about this 'E18' error (which is essentially a stuck zoom), if it hadn't happened to me out of the box. It would've been nice if I'd have been able to find it discussed here, or in a couple of other forums and reviews I checked before buying it...but seeing as how Canon WASTED at least 12 hours of my life, trying to deny that this was a problem, then finally one tech guy admitted that it was...I plan on trying to inform as many consumers as possible of the inherent problems with the Canon Powershot S1 specifically, and the pathetic support of Canon in general.

This is a *really* bad camera. As someone who's been a photog for over 20 years, I've never had an experience like this one before. I still have my Nikon 850 with a bunch of lenses, but I need a digital these days.

So if anyone *does* buy the S1 after being warned here...and don't just believe me: go a google search as stated above and see for yourself...all I can say is I *tried* to warn ya...

To clarrify, the S1 IS is not a dSLR. Other than that you story is a bit of a stretch, but it does sound like you had a bad experience. Better luck on your next camera. :)

John Tropi
10-31-2004, 02:17 AM
Rhys

There's not much to improve on the S1.
Please could you give your opinion on the small 1.5" LCD?
Reports of it being almost impossible to see in bright sunlight are the most influential in putting me off purchase of what looks like a tremendous value S1 IS, but I haven't yet managed to lay hands on one for myself, to check.

slitman
10-31-2004, 04:10 AM
Actually, it less of a concern of being able to see in the LCD, but more of a concern of the camera actually being able to take the picture and when, and if, it decides to, if there is much sharpness to the imagine.

Rhys

Please could you give your opinion on the small 1.5" LCD?
Reports of it being almost impossible to see in bright sunlight are the most influential in putting me off purchase of what looks like a tremendous value S1 IS, but I haven't yet managed to lay hands on one for myself, to check.

NeoteriX
10-31-2004, 06:51 AM
Actually, it less of a concern of being able to see in the LCD, but more of a concern of the camera actually being able to take the picture and when, and if, it decides to, if there is much sharpness to the imagine.

I find that (barring blown highlights) my pictures are sharpest with a healthy amount of lighting, and with a good amount of available light, I can pretty much be in control of how sharp I want the photo to be and get some pretty tack sharp results.

I just had to show off this picture that I was lucky enough to get the other day. :D

http://www.pbase.com/neoterix/image/35721834.jpg

Rhys
10-31-2004, 10:25 AM
I took this in low light at 1/25th with the full 10x zoom, handheld yesterday. 50 ASA. I had to tweak the contrast a bit but otherwise it's fine.

John_Reed
10-31-2004, 10:42 AM
I took this in low light at 1/25th with the full 10x zoom, handheld yesterday. 50 ASA. I had to tweak the contrast a bit but otherwise it's fine.You were lucky to find the Tiger a) awake, and b) not pacing around. Good job.

haikai
10-31-2004, 05:06 PM
Hmm. Wait until you see the dreaded 'E18' error, that appears to affect ALL Canon digitals at some point.

that's quite a leap to go from the experiences expressed online to the conclusion that all canons will go bad. i think it's safe to say that people who have experienced problems are usually the ones you hear first (after all, when a camera does work, few take the time to announce it to the world).

i'm sure there are many people on these forums who have owned several generations of canon, and the fact that they are such strong sellers year in and year out suggests that they, by and large, are doing a decent job.

i hope you have better luck with your next camera purchase though. i hope i do not end up eating my words if i get the error when my canon's warranty runs out :D

hai

Rhys
10-31-2004, 06:37 PM
I found quite a few negative reviews online of the Canon S1 by people who had obviously not read the manual at all. I was worried about what the negative reviews said. I downloaded the manual and read it before realising that the people allegedly reviewing the camera had clearly not read the manual at all. I wondered if they had some kind of personal grudge against Canon as it was the only camera they'd reviewed. Indeed, I find many negative reviews of various different cameras by reviewers who seem not to have reviewed any other camera and those reviews are pretty well all negative.

I say read the reviews then read the manual. Then try the camera with an open mind. Look at the pictures the reviewers have done. Look at the camera specifications. The rest is testing - try the camera.

Jeff Keller
10-31-2004, 08:38 PM
that's quite a leap to go from the experiences expressed online to the conclusion that all canons will go bad. i think it's safe to say that people who have experienced problems are usually the ones you hear first (after all, when a camera does work, few take the time to announce it to the world).

i'm sure there are many people on these forums who have owned several generations of canon, and the fact that they are such strong sellers year in and year out suggests that they, by and large, are doing a decent job.

i hope you have better luck with your next camera purchase though. i hope i do not end up eating my words if i get the error when my canon's warranty runs out :D

hai

What hai says is correct. I've been reviewing cameras for 7 years now and have used TONS of Canon cameras. Never once have I seen the E18 error. I have talked many friends and family members into buying Canon cameras (most notably the A-series) and as far as I know, they're happy with their purchase.

Arlequen
11-01-2004, 01:18 AM
.. I have talked many friends and family members into buying Canon cameras (most notably the A-series) and as far as I know, they're happy with their purchase.I'm One more .. by the moment I'm very satisfied about Canon A95 and lemme says that all the good reviews about this digicam are really honest & true and all written perfectly corresponding to the reality ..

Here a macro photo with low ambient light .. half from a tungsten lamp and half from a window..

Boswi
11-02-2004, 04:12 PM
I own my second Canon (S1 IS). Never had any problem. My first one was A70, beautiful little camera I used to take thousands of photos (and now happily serving my younger brother).

I am very happy with my S1 IS - 5-6 Meg would be nice, but 3 Meg will do for the majority of users. Only two things I would like to have: AF Illuminator and un-limited movie mode.

I must addmit that my personal experience with these two cameras made me definitely Canon-man and whatever Canon comes up with in the future it will be on the top of my list. For people who realy had bad experience - folks, that's the case with everything today, the things go wrong and that's why there is a warranty .

agukha
05-27-2005, 03:38 AM
Beware of tyres, I have a car and I bought tyres for it once, and I had a flat tyre.
I talked to many owners of tyres, and I can tell you almost everybody has already had this BIG problem !!
;)

By the way, I hope the canon S2 won't have too much noise or effects on image because the processor is trying to remove it ! wait and see !

KTW
06-26-2005, 03:25 PM

The S1 IS is Fat32. So you can use a 4gig CF. The MAX video at MIN resolution is 60 min and or 1 gig continuous. I JUST bought 1 and my 2gig and 4gig cf work great. :)

Disregard..... I realized you meant you wished you could take a continuous video until you filled a 4gig cf; but that the 60 min and or 1gig max was limiting. :)