PDA

View Full Version : 6MP with Shake reduction

jeisner
04-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Well many of us know the D2 is coming, a 10mp high end model with SR... For the low end they seem to have decided to stick with the sony 6.1 mp sensor but still add SR... This model will apparently replace the DL/DS low end, so both low end and high end (D2) will have SR..

Using the Sony 6.1mp sensor will keep the price down I imagine...

http://www.penta-club.ru/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=3041

Spot focus
04-14-2006, 12:39 AM
SR interesting something these old hands need ;)

jeisner
04-14-2006, 01:53 AM
Yes it will be great for indoors and general lowlight too, the sample shot below was handheld with the 77mm limited at 1/30.. not bad.. It will be good to have a ready bag of image stabilised lenses without having to pay any extra...

http://www.penta-club.ru/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=3038

Rhys
04-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Interesting things are indeed happening with Pentax - Samsung is producing a camera now in K-mount. I don't suppose it will be too long before all the usual suspects start to make a K-mount showing... Ricoh, Sigma, Cosina, Zenith etc.

I must admit that I like the idea of in-camera image stabilisation. It always seemed to me to be nuts to spend loads of money developing individual IS lenses
instead of putting IS on the camera. The only problem I can forsee is that with non CPU lenses (such as my Tamron 300), the IS might have difficulties. I'm not really quite sure how the IS works though so I could be wrong.

I might just sit pretty with my XT until September to see what this new Pentax is like. I can see that 6mp is more than adequate for most applications and 10mp will have oodles more crop factor that's usable.

coldrain
04-14-2006, 06:29 PM
The camera notices the camera bodies movement i believe, it does not look at the image at all. It just counteracts the registered movement, same with lenses with IS.
The reason Canon put IS in lenses in the first place is that back then there was no sensor, just a film. You can hardly move the film.
Another reason that prevents from putting IS in body instead of lens is that you can not make a full fram sensor move, it would move out of the boundaries set by 35mm film... so the sensor would move out of the picture literaly.

There probably are other reasons (apart from the obvious patents crap) that make manufacturers choose for IS in lens, but with canon it is clear: they started it all in the film era and they have full frame ambitions.

jeisner
04-15-2006, 01:36 AM
The camera notices the camera bodies movement i believe, it does not look at the image at all. It just counteracts the registered movement, same with lenses with IS.
The reason Canon put IS in lenses in the first place is that back then there was no sensor, just a film. You can hardly move the film.
Another reason that prevents from putting IS in body instead of lens is that you can not make a full fram sensor move, it would move out of the boundaries set by 35mm film... so the sensor would move out of the picture literaly.

There probably are other reasons (apart from the obvious patents crap) that make manufacturers choose for IS in lens, but with canon it is clear: they started it all in the film era and they have full frame ambitions.

Completely agree with Coldrain on this one ;-)

The lens itself is not important there are gyros in the body sensing its movement and the sensor itself is moved around.. So there shouldn't be any real limitations to which particular lenses you can use...

And yes I think full frame with this form of stabilisation would not work.. They could, I imagine, do a 1.3x crop with AS/SR though.. Looking at Pentax's lenses being released at the moment and future announced lenses, it seems the have decided to settle on APS-C sensors, and medium format. So I wouldn't be holding my breath for a 35mm FF sensor camera from Pentax anyway..

It will be interesting to see what Olympus, Canon and Nikon do? Pentax is looking to be putting SR in both ends of their product range (this one being the DS3 and the D2).. I would only assume Sony will use it as the KM had it.. Olympus has no investment in IS lenses so they could very well add it too.. Nikon and Canon are in a more difficult situation, Nikon more so than Canon as Nikon have said they are not going FF, which as Coldrain rightly said would preclude this form of IS. Would releasing say D50/D70 level cameras and 350d/30d level cameras with in body IS/VR effect their IS/VR lens sales???