PDA

View Full Version : New G6 vs. V3 shootout pictures

tournesol
10-30-2004, 04:54 AM
I think the new shootouts are more fair to the Sony V3. I actually think the sharpness is somewhat the same on the two cameras, and i can't recognize the neon color grass that some people talk about. To me the V3 pictures just look much more saturated and 35mm film like. One thing though, I think the V3 is a little bit more noisy than the G6, but not much, and I blame Canons usual smooth looking images for disguising noise in pictures. I very much like the Sony pictures, I believe that it takes much more vivid pictures, and the contrast seems better than the G6 (wether that is due to sharpening I don't know).

What do you guys think?

Looking forward to the final review!!!

nickphoto123
10-30-2004, 07:06 AM
Hello Tournesol and All,

As an F-828 user, I too am looking for a portable everyday camera.

The shootout images are very interesting.

I made some crops of the last image.

Regarding resolution, I concentrated on some rooftop antenae on the right and left of the images; and also on the little white house, with its windows about the center of the image.

To facilitate posting and viewing them I posted them on my Smugmug gallery. If this is improper I will remove them at the request of Dcresource.com

I won't state my observations to avoid leading you one way or the other.
However, regarding resolution, there appears to be a big difference between the two cameras:

http://nickphoto123.smugmug.com/Other

I hope all this adds to the discussion, Regards, Nicholas

tournesol
10-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Hmm, and once again I think the V3 has the edge, especially in the left white building next to the big grey glass building. But its hard to tell if its due to sharpening or real resolution.

nickphoto123
10-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Hello All,

Checkout the Satelite Dishes and the Window Washer Rig which is identifiable with only one of the cameras.

Please share your observations on this.

Regards, Nicholas

chrisdsa
10-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Im sure there might be simple explanation, but can someone explain why the resolution of the pictures in the shoot-out with the G6 is 180 dpi as opposed to 72 dpi for the V3 with the pixels remaining at the same 3072 x 2304.

tournesol
10-30-2004, 04:48 PM
...Checkout the Satelite Dishes and the Window Washer Rig which is identifiable with only one of the cameras.

Hmm, only identifiable on one of the cameras?! Once again I totally disagree. First of all there is not that big a difference, I can see that it is satellite dishes and a window washer rig on both pictures.

I must admit, that in real life photos I don't think the average user would notice the difference, and to me Sony's more vibrant and saturated pictures look more 35mm film like than the G6's blue (cold) tone. Look at the boatbridge (last picture added, taken with same aperature). I believe the Sony shows much more detail and a more accurate metering. Part of the bridge is overexposed with the G6, and the small orange balls (?) on the side is much sharper and more saturated with the V3.

nickphoto123
10-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Hello Tournesol and All,

All of my comments in this thread expressly relate to Resolution only.

Having the best Resolution does not mean you have the best image.

I still say that only one of the cameras shows enough detail that a viewer (myself) can identify a rather unfamiliar object ( by most people) on a roof, a Window Washing Rig. Regarding resolution, That is impressive, especially with the size of the sensor involved.

Your other considerations are more than valid. With all the reviews on the 2/3 CCD 8MP Sony Chip cameras by Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Minolta, I still think my F-828 produces better images for the same reasons you posted on the V3 image.

These are very interesting digital times.

Regards, Nicholas

haikai
10-30-2004, 08:26 PM
i guess these things really are a matter of personal taste. i thought the g6 images were better (and i'm not just saying that because i own one :p ). what i look for is how they resolve foliage... the v3 gets more mush-like in the leaves (in that church-like tower structure, and the grass in the brick house image).

the v3 definitely looks like it takes good pictures, but the g6 has a more life-like quality to them that i suppose can be attributed to that "smoothness." whether or not the smoothing is to hide noise or not, i find it a good quality. the ability to go as low as ISO 50 may have something to do with the g6 having less noise.

the v3 has a digital feel to them and i think the sharpening has something to do with it. the resulting boost in contrast between pixels "invents" details that aren't really there for me. i don't want to come off sounding like a canon fanboy or anything... these two cameras were the ones i was deciding between before i went for the canon (just because i was tired of waiting for the v3 to come out). the cropped images seem to only emphasize the v3's tendency to oversharpen.

hai

tournesol
10-31-2004, 04:24 PM
Another thing, how is it possible to take pictures exactly the same time of day with such big differences in shutterspeed and aperture:

exif for the same picture...

sony V3 exposure time 1/640 s
and F-number 7.1

canon G6 exposure time 1/250 s
and F_nubber 4

Looks like the Sony has closed out A LOT more light than the G6. It has a much higher shutterspeed and a much higher aperture. Maybe that is why there is more noise in the V3 pictures because it has somehow compensated for the lower light coming in through the lens.

This could be a very good indication that the ISO was not the same for both cameras. ISO is also missing from the G6 exif. If for ex the G6 was on iso 50 that would explain why it has to let in more light through the lens - therefore the slower shutterspeed and smaller aperture, and vice versa for the V3.

chrisdsa
10-31-2004, 05:16 PM
Well the G6 pictures are definitely more "pleasing" than the V3. The question is if folks are willing to put up with slightly more noise on the V3 in exchange for a 1) sleek black camera; 2) night shots; 3) great video mode. Most of the other features seem to be the same on both..

Jeff Keller
10-31-2004, 08:41 PM
I know my shootout just encourages it, but sometimes you need to remember the bottom line. I do think the G6 captures more detail than the V3 (though the differences weren't as pronounced when I closed down the aperture on the V3), but what really matters is what you'll do with the images. If you're downsizing them, or printing them at say, 8x10 or smaller, the differences in resolution are pretty meaningless. Color still matters, but noise doesn't, in my opinion.

tournesol
11-01-2004, 12:02 AM
What about the big difference in shutter and aperture for same picture? The Sony has both higher aperture and shutterspeed, meaning that it would have let in much less light than the G6 for the same lighting conditions.

That must have something to do with the G6 having to let much more light in, due to a lower ISO setting than the V3.

If I had a SLR and took two pictures at exactly the same time with those to very different settings, one of the pictures would definetly have come out either totally washed out or very underexposured.