PDA

View Full Version : Add on lenses for A75

Duke
10-29-2004, 07:05 PM
I recently purchased an A75 and am considering the purchase of an add on tele lens. Here in Australia the Canon variety seem to be very hard to find and extremely expensive compared to the camera if you can find them.

There seem to be a variety of lenses available on Ebay from other manufacturers but reports about these are somewhat mixed. I have seen one 3x lens which would suit me perfectly by upping the overall zoom to 9x.

Is there anyone in the forum who has actually purchased any of these cheaper lenses who can advise me whether they are worth buying?

Duke
11-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Has no one had any experience with these lenses? This thread has now had 56 views but no replies.

Duke
11-06-2004, 11:29 PM
This is almost unbelievable! Now up to 104 views and still no information about add on lenses!

Billiam
11-07-2004, 06:08 PM
I was in the same position as you a while back, thinking about add-on lenses for my old A40. I couldn't find much feedback on them anywhere, but what little I found was mostly not good. Canons own lenses may be fine, but as you say they're not cheap! It sounds like the 'affordable' 3rd party lenses are not worth messing with. Distortion and vignetting are apparently pretty common. I think the lack of feedback here is because nobody has bothered.

In the end, I found that I could pick up a Panasonic FZ1 for a song on ebay, so I did just that. Using a camera that has the zoom range you want built in is much more convenient than adding on accessory lenses!

punwit
11-14-2004, 07:11 AM
I'm not an expert and I haven't used this telephoto lens but I'll post the link and a review of the lens. Here (http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_main/ckc-cvs8_pi.jpg) is the lens, and here (http://www.steves-digicams.com/sharpshooter.html) is the review. This lens will work with your camera but will require an adapter.

Duke
11-16-2004, 04:05 AM
Thanks punwit.

I'm not looking for the ultrazoom. At the moment I'm considering taking a chance with the Tiffen MegaPlus 2x Telephoto Lens from bugeyedigital. If I decide to go ahead with this one I'll let you all know the results.

rottenbokchoy
11-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Duke.....

Check out Lensmateonline.com

If you can wait until the end of this month, they should be coming out with an adapter for the A75 series. It's made out of aluminum and from the boards on other sites, the Tiffen and Raynoxx lenses they have for sale seem pretty good.

Duke
11-17-2004, 08:38 PM
Duke.....

Check out Lensmateonline.com

If you can wait until the end of this month, they should be coming out with an adapter for the A75 series. It's made out of aluminum and from the boards on other sites, the Tiffen and Raynoxx lenses they have for sale seem pretty good.

Thanks. I've registered my interest on their site.

noujwas
11-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Check on Ebay. There are some generic adapters and lenses for the Canon A75.
I have that camera and I was like you thinking of buying those accessories but now I feel it's better to keep the money and later buy a DSLR.
Check the last part of the manual for the Canon Adapter and Lenses.

Noujwas

Jeff Keller
11-17-2004, 10:16 PM
Just to remind everyone, "bumping" your thread so it stays at the top of the list is not cool.

Forum Rules (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/announcement.php?f=10)

BrianGTBC
11-18-2004, 06:05 AM
Duke,

Back when I had my G2, I purchased one of the Tiffen Megaplus 2X Telephoto converters. Circuit City carried the line of lenses and adapters, but I don't think they do anymore. I think the lenses and adapters can still be found online though. Anyway, I was satisfied with the image quality, especially for a cheap $40 lens. I think Canon wanted $120+ for their equivalent.

When I had a Nikon Coolpix 775, I spent the money on the good Nikon add-on lens and couldn't tell all that much difference between it and the Tiffen wide-angle lens I bought for the same camera.

There is a lot of junk out there, but the Tiffen lenses seem to hold their own.

Duke
11-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Thanks BrianGTBC. Tiffen Megaplus is shaping up as worth a try.