PDA

View Full Version : Canon Pixma IP5200 Quality Problem with 4X6's!

ohreli
04-10-2006, 06:26 PM
I have a brand new Canon Pixma IP5200. I am getting fantastic 8x10 prints--they are sharp, detailed, and the colors right on. But my 4x6 prints are not nearly as sharp and detailed, and have a slightly more yellow color. I havent tried to fix the color balance because anyway the prints simply are not sharp! They look like they have had a slight soft-focus filter applied. I am using 4x6 Canon Pro glossy paper. My 8x10 is matte. It doesnt make sense to me that this could account for the difference in quality, since the 4x6 paper I am using I know is the best Canon paper! Every other setting is exactly the same, and the problem exists whether I choose the default "Best" setting, or the Q1 highest-quality setting. Does anyone have any idea why I am getting such a big difference in quality? :confused:

phatkid77
04-15-2006, 12:59 AM
currently dbating between this and the ip6600.......

i am thinkin of saving the $80 as i dont need the LCD screen....

although, how much difference would the quality be in the 5 ink VS 6 ink??

phats

ohreli
04-17-2006, 05:02 PM
I chose the 5200 because 1) I also dont need LCD screen, 2)I wanted the printer to serve also as a good general purpose printer, but still wanted high quality photo prints.
I havent done a side by side comparison of print quality with the 6600, but reviews I have read have been very positive and also the discussion forums have given the 5200 excellent ratings, so I gave the 5200 a try. I must tell you I have never had a 6 ink printer. My last printer was a Canon 850, with which I finally gave up getting prints that suited my standards. Seeing the inherent shortcomings in inkjet printers, I bought a Hi-Ti dye-sub printer, which was head over heels in sharpness and color accuracy. I must say the 5200 is light years ahead, and the 8x10 prints are at least as good as the dye-sub (which by the way could ONLY print 4x6's!) The colors are simply right-on. To my eye (and I am scrutinizing), I cannot imagine how the 6600 could improve on them. And on top of that, it prints normal documents at lightning speed! What I dont know is what I am doing wrong with my 4x6's on the 5200. I am still waiting to try matte paper instead of glossy and see if that makes a difference.

ohreli
04-21-2006, 04:57 PM
I made a 4x6 print on the 8x10 paper, and it matches the color and sharpness of the 8x10! Apparently, the matte paper prints are coming out much better than the Canon Photo Pro Glossy prints! I am amazed that this would make such a difference, and especially that the less expensive paper turns out better prints!

Robert Besen
04-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Are you sure you are setting the printer driver correctly for the glossy paper? I don't have a Canon printer, but on my Epson the driver settings make a big difference.

ohreli
04-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Well, the Canon printer driver has settings for Glossy, Matte, Photo Paper Plus Glossy, and Photo Paper Pro. I have been using only the Photo Paper Pro setting, because it is the only setting which allows you to use the highest quality 1-picoliter drop quality mode. Now, I believe that Photo Paper Pro only comes in glossy, but that mode is not looking too good on the Pro glossy, but great on the non-pro Matte! Go figure.:o

ohreli
05-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I have worked out my problems with the glossy prints. Although they first appeared too soft and yellow, after a lot of scrutiny, I realized that they are actually containing more detail, and the colors are actually more accurate. I think the matte prints looked better to my untrained eye because of there being much more white in the photos, creating a kind of illusion of brightness, but the white is not true to life. The whites were actually too white and the black drowned out detail. Now I am using using the Canon Photo Paper Pro with the highest quaility custom setting for the best prints. The white is not as white, but it looks like it does in real life (i.e. a white wall in a room lit with incandescent lighting), and the blacks are actually now much richer, while showing more detail. The matte prints pale by comparison. I also see the advantage of using the right paper settings--if using matte paper, they will look better at the "#2" setting with "Matte paper" selected than they will with the "#1" setting and "Photo Paper Pro" selected.

Paradox
08-14-2008, 05:17 AM
Oh that bot is getting so tedious now...Reported.