PDA

View Full Version : Sony DSC file numbering sequence

mbaum79
04-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Does anyone know how to force the file numbering sequence to a new number range. I just bought a DSC-P200 camera to replace a previous DSC-P5. But I find that the new camera only allows restarting from 1 or starting from 1. That causes new pictures to use the same numbers as all the pictures from my old camera. I cannot see a way to perhaps give it a starting number such as DSC02851 to avoid ending up with pictures with the same files names. The same question applies if you own two DSC series cameras.

Renaming all the files is not really an option. Since you would end up doing that every time you took pictures.

American Nomad
04-09-2006, 09:06 PM
I want to make sure that I understand your question. When you took pics with your P-5 and downloaded them to your computer, you put them all in the same folder? This would make your pics have names such as DSC00001, DSC00002, DSC00003 .....DSC02850? Am I correct? If so, how do you find the pics of Jane's birthday party or your trip to Calamazoo?

When I download pics to my computer, it asks me what name I would like to give to the folder they are going into. I usually name a folder with the city the pics were taken in and the date, such as "Washington DC 04-06". The pics in this folder are then named, "Washington DC 04-06 001", and so on. I could not tell you how many photos I have on my computer because each folder named starts over with the 001 sequence.

I don't know of a way to "force" a new starting sequence number. I would suggest that you name a new folder for your new camera something like
P200. Then your photo numbers would be P200 001, P200 002, P200 003 etc.
This way you can keep up with your picture count and keep the pics separate for each camera.

I hope this makes sense and helps out a little.

PH81
04-12-2006, 03:12 AM
Oh, what happens when you create a new recording folder? Sorry, haven't got my camera handy to test first, but thought I'd post while the idea was fresh in my mind.

In the Set Up - (at least on my camera... the P72, don't know about others) - you can go to CREATE REC FOLDER (or something like that). Normally mine's on a default 101 folder. But I can create a "102" folder and so on, and select which folder new pictures/videos are saved in. It must do something with the file names..

I never rename my pictures either - I just sort everything into folders, and name the folders. Like a wedding... where I've taken hundreds of photos - it's just too many to bother renaming them. As long as I can find the folder, I'm sweet :)

American Nomad
04-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Oh, what happens when you create a new recording folder?
You know, I didn't even think about that. I never use that feature. I just sort them after I download them. If you find out let us know. That was a good thought you had there 81!

PH81
04-13-2006, 01:53 AM
If you find out let us know. That was a good thought you had there 81!

Sorry, it doesn't change the filename/sequence. I created 2 folders, and saved a picture in each - they still just followed the same sequence. Like, it was file 2166 in folder 101, and then 2167 in folder 102. Doesn't help mbaum's situation... :o

How about when you download to your computer, put them into 2 different folders - that way you can have files with the same name. I don't know how you do it with the software that comes with the camera though. But if you just copy and paste from your memory stick to your hard drive you should be okay (your memory stick would be a "Removable Drive" if you have it plugged in to your computer, and look under My Computer). It's still a bit of work - but at least you're not renaming individual files! :)

Someone else probably knows a better way around it though... :)

American Nomad
04-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Well it was fun to try and figure this one out. I will continue to put my pics into different folders and not worry about a number sequence. Looks like mbaum79 has forgotten about his question anyway. Start posting some pics PH81, I'll keep an eye out for them.

mbaum79
04-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I do keep them in seperate folders. However when you decide to build a collection of a particular subject you run into the possibility of name collisions. Also this violates one of my standing conventions is to not have two different things with the same name.

avi777
04-21-2006, 12:13 AM
First thing you need to do is empty your memory stick.
Then shoot one or two pictures.
Next connect the camera to your computer and rename the pictures to the numbers that you want.
The camera might be foole to believ that it needs to start the numbering sequence from the last file on the card.
Give it a try, it might work.;)

Samir
04-21-2006, 03:38 PM
What I've tried in the past (and I don't remember if it worked) is to empty the card and all the directories. Delete the hidden sonycf.ind file. Place a file with the number that you want the sequence to from in your dcim\WHATEVER directory. Be sure it is NOT renamed to the number you want as I believe the exif information also stores the file name. Try shooting and see if it continues. I believe I used this method when I got one of mine back from Sony service.

But you'll need to find a better system since after 10k shots you'll run into name collisions anyways. I've flipped my two dsc-f828s about 3-4 times each. :eek: