PDA

View Full Version : monitors

john czawlytko
04-09-2006, 01:33 PM
looking for a good monitor for photography

foto_zulu
04-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Generally, you're better off with a CRT monitor rather than an LCD. But then that obviously depends on the quality of both. A high-quality LCD is going to cost you a lot more than a high-quality CRT.

Personally, I find that LCD's are much easier on my eyes, so I prefer to use them when working for long periods of time.

cdifoto
04-11-2006, 09:54 AM
I really didn't know what to look for in a monitor, but I went with a 19" Viewsonic VA902b for about $255 shipped from buy.com. You could get the DV enabled VA912b (same otherwise as the VA902b) for about the same price shortly after I got mine. I like this monitor and it seems quite accurate after I bought calibration software to get it truly corrected (Pantone Huey, about $70-90). Much easier on my eyes than any CRT, and takes up much less of my tiny desk's surface area. Could also be mounted on the wall.

There are certainly better monitors out there, but proper calibration is more important than most other factors. If your colors are off, having the best pitch or contrast ratio or refresh rate is moot.