PDA

View Full Version : Adaptor / Filter sizes FZ10/FZ20

Jim Last
10-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Is there an optimum size for filters for the FZ20, I have more or less made up my mind to go for the 62mm Pemaraal adaptor to allow smaller filters and get them closer to the lens than with the included Panasonic one. My next problem is 62mm the best size or should I opt for 55mm or 58mm. Which is where my question arrises from, I understand that the choice of sizes accommodates various available lenses but is there one best for filer use :confused: ?

Also can anyone can help with an earlier thread :confused: ?

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1871

Jayde gave some useful info earlier :) But any other help you can offer will be greatfully received!

wmussatto
10-29-2004, 01:31 PM
As a general rule you want to get as close as possible to the lens with your filters, so the 3rd party adapters are better than panasonic's. I'm using a raynox which ends in 52mm and don't have issues even at full wide angle. I'd look at what, besides the uv filter, you want to add in the future. Try to get an adapter which will match that size so you can minimize step rings. But that's it.
55 and 58 are reported to be fine, as is 62. However the larger size the more expensive the filters.

Bill

Jim Last
10-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Thanks Bill :)

I think that with the 12X zoom I most likely will not be adding a tele lens and don't plan on much macro work. It is possible that a wide angle lens may come in time but the biggest aim of the adaptor is:

(a) to get the filters as near to the lens as possible
(b) get a smaller filter size than the Panasonic 72mm
(c) not to effect any of the range of the superb Leica lens

So should I be looking at the 55mm & 58mm rather than 62mm?

Is there a reasonable common lens thread size for lenses that work well with the FZ20?

Cheers, and thanks again!

LStoner
10-29-2004, 09:46 PM
I too have been looking at filters for my new Pan FZ20. I would just like a UV filter for lens protection and was considering a star filter for Christmas pics. I didn't know that the closer to the lens the better. Is this true for just the UV protection filter as well since it is just a protection filter? And as for the star filter, how many points do you think gives the most asthetically pleasing images?

I should say that I'm just so happy with my camera the way it is that I'm not looking for a bunch of upgrade filters or lenses to attach. I'm not a daily picture taker type of person. But I was considering the two filters I mentioned above. Because of this, do I really need to worry all that much about getting an adapter and going with smaller filters or am I okay with just getting 72mm filters for my casual usage?

Oh, one more thing. Even if I get a 72mm UV protection filter does that mean my lens cap isn't going to fit?

Thanks,
Lee Ann

taskerc
10-29-2004, 11:52 PM
Lstoner - You are defiing two different filter requirements - filters like the UV filter are "usually" left on at all times to also provide protection for your valuable front lens element - with the Pana and 3rd party hoods, this also becomes a zoom protection method - a good thing in my opinion. The star filter and others like it are specific purpose filters to be used when and as needed - ie constantly removed and replaced - and I would consider a polarizer as well. Looking at the web shots of adaptors, it would appear that vignetting is very present for filters smaller than 62mm - so lets assume that 62mm is the smallest feasible filter size for a moment. That gives 62mm and 72mm as options for a filter system. UV is not an issue either way as you can get reasonably/very good filters on eBay for under a tenner for either size - it is the special purpose filters that are the problem here. The Cokin A-Series filter system is a good option in this respect as it allows you to slot in and out the filters you require - this option requires a ring that adapts to your less filter rings (available in 62 and 72mm diameter) to a filter mount. Both can be had for under a tenner on eBay as well. Then you can purchase special purpose filters as requried. I like this system as it allows instant changing of filters and very good flexibility in use. Now, for star filters and diffusion (soft focus) effects, I can give you nearly free ways to achieve this without jeopardising your kit.

Starlight - if you are in north america, you will be familiar with window screens - especially the metal/metallic kind. They don't seem to be used as much in Europe but can stil be had. Cut a suare bigger than your lens diameter and put it in front of your lens - voila - star filter. you can get different effects by using different densities of screening - you can go extreme by using very fine screening from permanent coffee filter basket thingies that have the gold or silver screen filters in them :-)

Diffusion - if you are female or know a female (assuming one or the other), you can get some "tights" or "panty hose" (depending on your locale) - by placing this tightly in front of the lens durig shooting you get a nice diffusion/soft focus effect - differnt colour "tights" produce different colur cast diffusions - very neat effect and very cheap.

So that you know, my solution for all of this is:
Pana original adaptor and hood
72mm uv filter
Cokin A series 72mm adaptor ring
Cokin A Series filter holder
Cokin Gel Holder with IR Filter (for infrared shots)
Assorted A Series Coking filters as required
5 different window screens as above
Various tights as above

Cokin filter holder comes with a "lens cap" but you will need another lens cap for either 62 or 72 mm depending on what you choose as the original cap is closer to 55mm than 62 or 72 mm.

Hope this helps.

I too have been looking at filters for my new Pan FZ20. I would just like a UV filter for lens protection and was considering a star filter for Christmas pics. I didn't know that the closer to the lens the better. Is this true for just the UV protection filter as well since it is just a protection filter? And as for the star filter, how many points do you think gives the most asthetically pleasing images?

I should say that I'm just so happy with my camera the way it is that I'm not looking for a bunch of upgrade filters or lenses to attach. I'm not a daily picture taker type of person. But I was considering the two filters I mentioned above. Because of this, do I really need to worry all that much about getting an adapter and going with smaller filters or am I okay with just getting 72mm filters for my casual usage?

Oh, one more thing. Even if I get a 72mm UV protection filter does that mean my lens cap isn't going to fit?

Thanks,
Lee Ann

StanStan
01-05-2005, 08:28 AM
I need a 64mm lens cap for the Raynox 5264 tube adapter.
I also want a 55/64 tube adapter simular to the above Raynox. 5564?
Anybody know where to get these items?
Thanks

StanStan

sgoldste01
01-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Lstoner - <snip> Looking at the web shots of adaptors, it would appear that vignetting is very present for filters smaller than 62mm - so lets assume that 62mm is the smallest feasible filter size for a moment. That gives 62mm and 72mm as options for a filter system. <snip>

Is this true? I thought I've read in numerous places that I can go down to 55mm (and maybe even 52mm) without vignetting. My plan is to buy a Paramaal 55mm adapter so that I can use some 55mm filters and lens hood from my old Pentax SLR. Are you saying I'm going to get vignetting if I do this?

Thanks,

Steve

genece
01-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Is this true? I thought I've read in numerous places that I can go down to 55mm (and maybe even 52mm) without vignetting. My plan is to buy a Paramaal 55mm adapter so that I can use some 55mm filters and lens hood from my old Pentax SLR. Are you saying I'm going to get vignetting if I do this?

You can indeed go to 52mm with an adapter ( such as the Raynox) with no vignetting.In fact I just tried a 52 to 49mm stepdown ring on the Raynox adapter with no vignetting.
Although I have never used a Paramaal adapter I am sure it works the same.
You just could not add a 55mm filter to the panasonic adapter (72 to 55mm stepdown ring) as I am sure it would vignette.

sgoldste01
01-05-2005, 12:05 PM

You can indeed go to 52mm with an adapter ( such as the Raynox) with no vignetting.In fact I just tried a 52 to 49mm stepdown ring on the Raynox adapter with no vignetting.
Although I have never used a Paramaal adapter I am sure it works the same.
You just could not add a 55mm filter to the panasonic adapter (72 to 55mm stepdown ring) as I am sure it would vignette.

I assume this would vignette only because the Panasonic adapter extends beyond the end of the lense. With a tight-fitting adapter, there's no vignetting. Is this accurate?

pixelator
01-05-2005, 12:34 PM
55 and 58 mm filter do not cause vignetting at all. I am using 55 filters without problem.

Antcj
04-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Ive been reading this thread with interest as i have just purchased an fz20
I came across this site.
http://www.nextphoto.net/FZ20.htm

Any comments anyone

StanStan
04-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Ive been reading this thread with interest as i have just purchased an fz20
I came across this site.
http://www.nextphoto.net/FZ20.htm

Any comments anyone

Fine if you do not want to add a hood or stack a lens.
If you add a lens adapter you protect the lens machinery from dust, dirt or knocks. I NEVER have my FZ20 without a lens adapter and filter or cap or another lens with its filter or cap.

Tokret
04-12-2005, 06:15 AM
i saw a tele-converter lens but the mount thread is 52mm, will this work for my FZ20? vignetting perhaps?

i read that some didn't have vignetting issues with filters of the 52mm size. how about 52mm add-on lenses?

Tyler
04-12-2005, 06:35 AM
i saw a tele-converter lens but the mount thread is 52mm, will this work for my FZ20? vignetting perhaps?

i read that some didn't have vignetting issues with filters of the 52mm size. how about 52mm add-on lenses?

It depends on the lens, of course :) Most 52mm add-ons will work if the exit pupil is of sufficient size. Which tele-converter are you referring to?

Tokret
04-12-2005, 07:32 AM
http://www.ec-mall.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_31&products_id=130&osCsid=43f5afb415fcd4f37116fe32bd72de40

Kenko LD-20T - 2.0x TelePhoto Conversion Lens

Tokret
04-12-2005, 05:35 PM
will the 52mm kenko 2x add-on lens cause vignetting?

Tangomango
04-15-2005, 07:36 AM
FZ20 Adapter/Lenses Gurus:
I am more confused now than before I guess the issue, in addition to being complex, is also dependent on personal preference. I am a novice when it comes to photography, despite the fact that I have been at it for years. I am a recent convert from a simple point-&-shoot to a FZ20 and intend to maximize by learning from this beautiful camera. So here is what Id like to do and would sincerely appreciate if some of the Gurus could kindly shed some light on the topic.

Id like to protect my camera lens by adding on a HOYA pro-1 super UV filter of 62 mm size. In addition, I would also like to add on a polarizer of say 62 mm size. In addition I would also like to do some marco work for which I intend purchasing Nikon T5 and T6, which I may use individually or staked sometimes. I intend to put these filters on using a Phayee adapter (understand it results in being the closest to lens so is probably the best). Here are my questions:

[1] Understand that Phayee has a 72mm and 62 mm end. So I take the camera ring off and attach the 72 mm end to the camera/Lieca lens. Correct?

[2] UV lens is sandwiched between the Lieca lens and the 72 mm tube end of the adapter. Correct?

[3]Does the Polarizer attach to the 62 mm end of the tube? If yes, then does the polarizer thus become the lens protector?

[4] Can the polarizer be left on attached at all times in addition to UV filter? And what exactly does the polarizer do in terms of end results?

[5] When I do macro work do I need to take off the polarizer? (Please assume that I do not intend to add any more rings/adapters to Phayee)

[6] How can I stack 5T and 6T together at the 62 mm end of the Phayee?

[7] Which one should I be considering -- Circular or Linear polarizer? Any particular ones that are considered good for FZ20, for say under $60?

Thank you in advance for your help!

genece
04-15-2005, 08:47 AM
FZ20 Adapter/Lenses Gurus:
I am more confused now than before I guess the issue, in addition to being complex, is also dependent on personal preference. I am a novice when it comes to photography, despite the fact that I have been at it for years. I am a recent convert from a simple point-&-shoot to a FZ20 and intend to maximize by learning from this beautiful camera. So here is what Id like to do and would sincerely appreciate if some of the Gurus could kindly shed some light on the topic.

Id like to protect my camera lens by adding on a HOYA pro-1 super UV filter of 62 mm size. In addition, I would also like to add on a polarizer of say 62 mm size. In addition I would also like to do some marco work for which I intend purchasing Nikon T5 and T6, which I may use individually or staked sometimes. I intend to put these filters on using a Phayee adapter (understand it results in being the closest to lens so is probably the best). Here are my questions:

[1] Understand that Phayee has a 72mm and 62 mm end. So I take the camera ring off and attach the 72 mm end to the camera/Lieca lens. Correct?

That is not correct the one end ot the Phayee adapter and all adapters for the FZ20 is 64mm inside threads the same as the ring you remove.

[2] UV lens is sandwiched between the Lieca lens and the 72 mm tube end of the adapter. Correct?

Somewhat the Phayee is 2 pieces one piece is 62mm and that is where filters or lens attach. Then there is a hood that attaches there and is 72mm at the other end.

[3]Does the Polarizer attach to the 62 mm end of the tube? If yes, then does the polarizer thus become the lens protector?

That is correct but you do not leave a polarizer on all the time as it blocks 2F stops of light.

[4] Can the polarizer be left on attached at all times in addition to UV filter? And what exactly does the polarizer do in terms of end results?

Yes it can be added over the UV filter... it removes glare and deepens the color of the sky. I might suggest if you do not know what it does you do not need one.

[5] When I do macro work do I need to take off the polarizer? (Please assume that I do not intend to add any more rings/adapters to Phayee)

As I said the polarizer is not left on all the time

[6] How can I stack 5T and 6T together at the 62 mm end of the Phayee?

They just screw together but you should start with just one as it gets harder to use with 2 lens

[7] Which one should I be considering -- Circular or Linear polarizer? Any particular ones that are considered good for FZ20, for say under $60?

Linear..
but you maybe should forget a polarizer untill you decide if you need one.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=23443&is=REG
Thank you in advance for your help!

This is what a polarizer does
http://www.shooter.net/index.php/weblog/Item/using-a-polarizer/

Leave all the pictures load at this site and it should be clear how the Phayee works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43441&item=7503497293&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

This UV filter will work just fine
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=23732&is=REG

Tangomango
04-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks for your post -- although your answers clarify the quesries but I have further questions which I am certain I would be able to understand if I could see a schematic of how all this fits together -- i.e. UV, polarizer, Phayee adapter, hood, etc., and Nikons (alone & stacked). Would you know a site where this would be available? If not, may I, at the risk of making a fool out of myself, ask a few (naive) follow-up questions? -- Thanks!

genece
04-15-2005, 10:28 AM
This Chen tube is the exact same thing as the Phayee ( the Phayee is a copy of it)
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/

I can not link directly to the correct page. So do it this way.

1. Go to the above link
2. Then click on the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 link it also applies to the FZ20
3. Then under adapter tubes
click the Chen Tube

Tangomango
04-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Genece THANK YOU! That certainly helped!

So if I understood this right the concial (lower) portion of the adapter has screws to accommodate only one filter with 62 mm threads. I could either use a UV or polarizer nearest to the Lieca. I then have a remainder portion of the adapter that doubles as the hood. If needed, I could also screw on a filter at the open end of the hood which needs a 72 mm filter. (But the distance of polarizer to the Lieca may be too much?)

So the possible combinations are:

[1] Camera + Concial portion of Adapter + 62mm UV + Hood portion of adapter

[2] As above [1] + 72mm polarizer at the end of hood (but polarizer is considered too far in this set up)

[3] Camera + Concial portion of Adapter + 62mm UV + Hood portion of adapter + Nikon 5T + Nikon 6T (not sure if I understood this right)

Thanks once again! In addtion, could I call you to speak directly rather than bog the forum down with these questions?

genece
04-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Genece THANK YOU! That certainly helped!

So if I understood this right the concial (lower) portion of the adapter has screws to accommodate only one filter with 62 mm threads. I could either use a UV or polarizer nearest to the Lieca. I then have a remainder portion of the adapter that doubles as the hood. If needed, I could also screw on a filter at the open end of the hood which needs a 72 mm filter. (But the distance of polarizer to the Lieca may be too much?)

So the possible combinations are:

[1] Camera + Concial portion of Adapter + 62mm UV + Hood portion of adapter

That is correct and thea 62mm polarizer would mount here also right on top of the UVfilter which is why you want a filter with threads on both sides such as the one I linked you to.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=23732&is=REG

[2] As above [1] + 72mm polarizer at the end of hood (but polarizer is considered too far in this set up)

No the only thing that would go here is another hood and or a lens cap.

[3] Camera + Concial portion of Adapter + 62mm UV + Hood portion of adapter + Nikon 5T + Nikon 6T (not sure if I understood this right)

No

Thanks once again! In addtion, could I call you to speak directly rather than bog the forum down with these questions?

You would remove the UV filter and screw on the 6T preferably but you could add the 6T on top of the UVfilter if you want. None of the other parts would be used when your using the macro lens.

If you want you can Email me the address is in my profile.

Tangomango
04-15-2005, 01:08 PM
After I read your note that the UV filter has threads to take on the polarizer -- I said "Ah-Aha"! I understand now! I plan to reserach this weekend and may take you up on your offer to write directly. Thanks once again! You have been very helpful!