PDA

View Full Version : 2gb SD memory cards

Erwin
04-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Just purchased a 2gb Corsair 133x SD card for my Pentax *IstDS for $69.99 from zipzoomfly. It appears to not be compatible with my Pentax because a get a memory error when trying to format it. The SD card works fine with my MP3 player which can accept up to a 2gb SD card. The firmware on my Pentax is the latest (2.xx) which is suppose to be able to handle 1gb and greater SD cards.

Anybody have the same experience? Which 2gb SD card brands actually work? My 1gb SD card which works fine is a Sandisk Ultra II - I suppose I should have gotten the 2gb version, but it was about $15 more plus it's only a 66x.

jeisner
04-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Anybody have the same experience? Which 2gb SD card brands actually work? My 1gb SD card which works fine is a Sandisk Ultra II - I suppose I should have gotten the 2gb version, but it was about $15 more plus it's only a 66x.

I think it is your camera not the card... Corsair is a good brand.

The older Pentax ist DS firmware at first didn't support 2gb SD cards, and I think you're at least 2 versions behind. The current firmware does however support 2gb SD cards. Upgrade your firmware and it should be fine, obviously you will need a smaller than 2gb SD card to do this..

http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/ja/info/20050415e.html

There are other cool additions in that firmware such as continuous focus in ALL modes.. Auto ISO sensitivity. And occasional banding issues in burst mode (in lowish light) seems to have been resolved too..

Erwin
04-08-2006, 12:28 AM
My original post does mention that I have the latest firmware already. Anymore ideas?

jeisner
04-08-2006, 07:31 AM
My original post does mention that I have the latest firmware already. Anymore ideas?

Sorry my fault I missed that :-( posting whilst watching TV ;-)

OK how is the card formatted? fat16 or fat32?

My 2GB RiDATA 150x SD card in my DS is formatted fat16.. maybe try formatting it FAT (not FAT32) with your PC, and see if that works?

astro
04-08-2006, 02:34 PM
I have an A-Data 2GB card that I used for half a year. It worked perfectly fine on my Pentax *ist DS. But one day, it sporadically stopped working on the Pentax but still works fine on the computer. I tried the card on another *ist DS with no avail. Formatted as FAT16/FAT32, the works, the camera just doesn't want to recognize the card. Tried another card, and it works fine.

Just return the card and get another one.

Erwin
04-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Since the card works with my MP3 player - I've decided to keep it. Mainly because it's such a pain to mail back an item. Since the 2gb cards are going down in price, I'm sure I'll get another chance at one from a local store.

By the way, I did format my card with FAT.

Thanks for the advice.