PDA

View Full Version : Cosy Home for New FZ-20

Jim Last
10-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Having now received my pride and joy :D

It is in need of a safe comfortable, but not too big home! Any suggestions? It is really hard to try and picture it based on simple dimentions. And with some many of you all having got the FZ-20 or FZ-10 I thought first hand advice would be better :)

I am looking to house the camera, couple of SD cards, couple of batteries, couple of filters and a Pemaraal PA62 adaptor & Hama 62mm Lens Hood - which I hope to be able to leave on

Cookie Monster
10-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi,

try the Lowepro range, especially the TLZ1, TLZ10 and even the TLZ20. They all look good quality and weather proof.

Im thinking of going for the TLZ20 myself.

:)

Jayde
10-30-2004, 11:10 AM
or tamrac velocity series swivels around you ! :D
i posted more here so have a look
op tech and zing only covers not bags...

Jim Last
10-31-2004, 06:37 AM
Thanks Cookie Monster & Jayde :)

I like the interior of the Velocity but I don't know about having it like a backpack.

Really looking to try and get one which attaches to a belt so I han have everything placed infront of me.

Not too keen on a full size type bag as these are normally carried on your shoulder and present a security risk and I don't like to give the would be theif an easy target :eek:

Please feel free to make any comments :) At the end of the day there are a lot of FZ10's, FZ15's and FZ20's out there, and everyone will have their own preference for housing their pride and joy!

It is just a pity that Panasonic hadn't thought of this as well :(

Jim Last
11-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Have now got a number of candidate that should all fit the FZ20 with room for tele lens, flash and accessories.

Tamrac 5201 Explorer 1
Tamrac 5211 Mini Explorer
Tamrac 5745 Velocity 5 - shoulder fit with waist fitting

CCS Gladstone Micro
CCS Hippo

All these are not too big and can be used over the shoulder or around your waist.

pwiles1968
11-02-2004, 10:49 AM
I have been looking at the Samsonite Trekking Models the 110 looks like a snug Fit for the camera, while the 130 and above would leave plenty of space for accessories (Although I do not have the camera yet just going by the dimensions). Try 7dayshop they have some good offers on these bags at the moment.

Jim Last
11-02-2004, 10:58 AM
The Trekking series is actually done through Hama (http://www.hama.co.uk/section.asp?sectionid=143&catalogue=1)

pwiles1968
11-02-2004, 11:00 AM
But they have a nice samsonite Badge on the front and the quality looks OK from the pictures and the prices are good.

Jim Last
11-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with them at all. I was simply letting you know where to find full details and rrp of them as it is hard to find them. 7Dayshop.com has some very very keen prices on a number of things, only some ranges are very limited but if you can find exactly what you are looking for then a true bargain can be had :)

pwiles1968
11-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the extra info, was looking at getting an FZ20 this weekend, but need extra battery bag and 512SD card , can do all 3 for £55 inc postage at 7day helps stretch the budget a little, have used them a lot in the past for SLR kit before I converted to the dark side. :o

Jim Last
11-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Don't know where you live but just for your info, You can get a FZ20 from Cameras 2 U (http://www.cameras2u.com) for £339.98

I went into my local Jessops and took with me a printout of the price from cameras2u...and they matched it :D

pwiles1968
11-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Have a FZ20 on reserve at Jessops already price matched to cameras 4U £339.89 :D , But Thanks for the thought.

Jim Last
11-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Great minds think alike :)

Jim Last
11-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Have decided to go with the Tamrac 5201 Explorer 1, will post here again once it has arrived and I have tried getting everything in :)

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments

Jayde
11-05-2004, 01:47 AM
hey jim..
buy me one :D
jeeloos me :(
hehe

why not velocity if it swivels ?
did u see any?
are they no good ?
jus pop out n look fer me haha

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 03:12 AM
Jayde,

I did look at the velocity's.

The Velocity 6 (Model 5746) looked to take the same amount as the Explorer 1. but didn't have the "Tuck-A-Way" hip belt, which lets you wear it around your waist. Also the "sling" idea whilst great during the summer looks like it would be pretty cumbersum durring the colder months when wearing your winter woolies :)
There is also the Velocity 5 (Model 5745) that has the tuck a way belt but this has a depth of 8cm / 3" which seems to be a bit tight for the FZ20
The Mini Explorer (Model 5211) looked fine for the camera but if you are adding a few bits it might get pretty tight.
The Velocity 7 was starting to look more like a rucksack than a camera bag so that wasn't for me.
So that led me to the Explorer 1, and hopefully it will turn out fine, on which I will post later :)

Jayde
11-05-2004, 04:09 AM
hey m8
thnx for the report, glad you found somthin..
" which lets you wear it around your waist."
i thought that was the idea.. but i look soon... cant tell from adverts..

my fz10 goes in a strong nylon chest strap with velcro n buckles, its hands free, that i made for my bike, with a op tech DSLR wetsuit style cover... stops the bugs.. lol.
cheap ol backpack for a fiver for xtras.. beer haha :D

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 06:06 AM
No probs, anyone got any other housing queries let me know :)

pwiles1968
11-05-2004, 08:55 AM
Picked up the FZ20 today just reading the manual and absorbing, tried the Samsonite 110 in the shop (did not buy it is chearer elsewhere) very good fit for the camera and quite compact, would not fit the hood in I don't think. Looks like the one I will go for.

Jim Last
11-05-2004, 09:19 AM
Did it have room for extra batteries or a flash?

Jim Last
11-19-2004, 04:42 AM
This model of Tamrac (http://www.tamrac.com/welcome.htm) and many others within the Tamrac range allow for additional accessory bags/pouches to be added to the main camera bag and or strap.

Tamrac's Modular Accessory System (http://www.tamrac.com/g_modularaccessory.htm)™ (M.A.S.™) offers accessories that quickly attach to any belt or Tamrac products that have the M.A.S.™ quick-attachment system.

Tamrac's Strap Accessory System (http://www.tamrac.com/g_strapaccessory.htm)™ (S.A.S.™) has components that attach to the shoulder straps of nearly all of our bags and to the harness of most of our backpacks.

This allows you to customise your camera bag to suit your needs, wehter it is extra lenses, filters, batteries, memory cards or anything else you are looking to house.

arvadajames
11-19-2004, 04:46 AM
It may be a little larger than what you are looking for, but it has enoough room to carry the camera and accessories. It can be warn as a beltpack, shoulder pack, or carried.

Jim Last
11-19-2004, 05:02 AM
Yeah the Photo Runner (http://www.lowepro.com:8080/pages/series/trekking/phrunner.htm) from Lowepro is quit usefull as it has the DualZip™ Top handle.

pwiles1968
11-20-2004, 02:11 AM
Bought the Samsonite Trekking 130 in the end, there is enough room for all the kit, there are several moveable dividers and lens supports, the compartment is big enough for the camera, charger and hood + an bit more the compartment lid has a removable bag which looks like it would fit a decent size flash, there is an area at the front for batteries cards, cleaning cloths lenses TV-remote etc. and a document pocket at the rear which i have put the manual in.

It is not excessively large but I am considering getting a Camera only bag, any suggestions for something the size of the camera, for basic protection if I want to throw the camera over my shoulder an go for a walk, I would only need a spare battery and card which I could probably stick in my pocket anyway

Jim, what camera you on now?

Jim Last
11-20-2004, 02:19 AM
This week I've been using the Olympus C-5060 :)

At this rate I'll have to start writing reviews.

As far as a case for just the FZ20 body goes, you might want to have a look at the following:

Zing - made from neoprene (Reccommended by Jayde), Speed Graphic stock them in the UK for £20/£25

CCS - make some small 'Zoom' style pouches, think Jessops has these?

I'm sure both Lowepro and Tamrac will have simmilar 'Camera Only' style pouches/bags.

pwiles1968
11-20-2004, 02:54 AM
The Zing look ideal I have PM’d Jayde to see which Models of the Zing will fit the FZ20, if anyone else uses these can you let me know which model and how well they fit.

Jim Last
11-20-2004, 08:05 AM
Paul,

Could you post the model details here, as I am sure there are quite a few FZ20 users that might like a FZ20 'body only' case :)

pwiles1968
11-28-2004, 02:04 PM
Jusst ordered an Op/tech D-Offset bag let you know how it goes, for anyone looking for a bag + minimal acceesories I tried a Crumpler 'Joes Pizza' Small today, it was a perfect fit for the FZ20 and there is a puoch at the front for battery SD card and some monir bits. Nice looking also I was qiute tempted.

Sorry about the spuling I blame the VODKA ;) :rolleyes: :D

Jim Last
11-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Crumpler Bags are a tad pricey though :)

pwiles1968
11-29-2004, 11:11 AM
This one was £17.99 in Jessops it was well padded and looked really cool, I was tempted to buy one just for the hell of it, but then I came back to reality I could buy a bottle of Jack Daniels for that sort of money :D :D

bradbuser
12-01-2004, 09:58 AM
I'm definitely a minimalist and don't want to carry anything except the camera (FZ20) and included accesories. I checked the dimensions on the Tamrac 5200 Micro Explorer (http://www.tamrac.com/5200.htm) and thought that I might get the camera, hood, and charger in there with room in the pockets for cables, cards, and batteries. Has anyone else tried to use this bag? Tamrac said the Digital6 bag, with similar dimensions, would fit the FZ20, but I like the Micro a bit more.

pwiles1968
12-11-2004, 03:14 AM
Just received the Op/tech D-Offset this morning, it is a perfect fit for the FZ20, It is like a little stretchy wetsuit with poppers at the bottom, you have to take it off completely to use the camera and I am sure I will develop a technique for this it is not too awkward, and there is a little strap and clip so it can hang on your camera strap when not in use, not sure yet whether I would rather just stick it in my pocket.

shu246
12-11-2004, 08:22 AM
found at walmart a carrier which is an excellent match for the kit i have accumulated so far. it is well padded, less than $30.00. only thing not to like is the single plastic latch holding the fold-over top closed (which thus must support the entire weight of bag and contents; i'm just not too fond of these plastic latches, as i have had one or two break.)

the bag bears markins for 'sony' and 'handycam' (i pitched the tag so i cannot provide model number or maker). it is about 6 x 6 x 12 inches, dimensions not includeing the two zippered end pouches. also one zippered front pouch which the top cover laps over.

the fz20 has a pemaraal extender and 62mm hoya neutral filter on most of the time. it goes in the right side of the bag, camera on its left side. the plastic case the filter came in is just the right height to support the lens horizontally (with a bit of padding between). a velco divider keeps the camera from shifting left. the height of the bag is just right to hold vertically.

against the left wall of the bag is the 62mm hama 92962 collapsable rubber lens hood in it's plastic case, but with 67-62mm reduction ring, hoya 62mm polarizer, and lens cap attached. (these replace the neutral filter on the pemaraal extender when needed.)

in the space between camera and lens hood are cables for the camera and card reader. batteries, charger, memory, card reader, carrying straps (not normally used) are in the exterior pouches. greycards and instruction book slip into an exterior slot on the back of the bag.

Jim Last
12-13-2004, 05:18 AM
This one was £17.99 in Jessops it was well padded and looked really cool, I was tempted to buy one just for the hell of it, but then I came back to reality I could buy a bottle of Jack Daniels for that sort of money :D :D

Paul, Paul, Paul.....

Now you're got my other half looking at the crumpler website :rolleyes:

Need to lock the wallet away before I have to take that second mortgage :)

Jim Last
12-13-2004, 05:21 AM
I'm definitely a minimalist and don't want to carry anything except the camera (FZ20) and included accesories. I checked the dimensions on the Tamrac 5200 Micro Explorer (http://www.tamrac.com/5200.htm) and thought that I might get the camera, hood, and charger in there with room in the pockets for cables, cards, and batteries. Has anyone else tried to use this bag? Tamrac said the Digital6 bag, with similar dimensions, would fit the FZ20, but I like the Micro a bit more.

As you will have seen, I have used the 5201 for the FZ20 and found it about as compact as you would want to go if intending to get the camera, charger, couple of batteries, cables and maybe a couple of filters and a external flash

Camille
12-20-2004, 12:07 AM
I just got a FZ20 to replace stolen Kodak 7440 :mad: (that had 1G SD in it to add insult to injury) and have the perfect bag that I got several years ago.
The Lowepro Nova Mini. Holds xtra SD,s, batteries, manual, the hood, charger, TV hook up and has room for a little more - maybe half a sandwich. Has good wide shoulder strap which does not have the stupid clips so little thieves can swipe bag easily and also has belt loops. Has padded divider and all sides and bottom padded. Very weatherproof as with all Lowepro stuff.
Have the trekker bag and hate it. Too big and bulky. Double zipper does not work well for me. Nice for storage of old Nikon camera though.
Since bag is a few years old, may or may not still be in marketplace but worth checking out. It is a sweet little rig.
Camille
P.S. Love that camera!

Jesuswon
12-20-2004, 01:34 AM
I recently bought a Lowepro belt/back pack ... Orion AW ...talk about awkward ... the back pack was too small and the belt pack was too big ... would not recommend it ... I later sold that one on an online auction ...it worked out to be perfect for someone else ...happy ending.

I then bought Lowepro Topload Zoom 2 ...perfect! ...room for the following ... wide angle lens, phayee adapter, hama hood, 4 SD's, 3 batterys, filter, pc cable ...and I bought a sunpack 383 off of eBay and I hope it will fit in as well. fit nice off the side... not a hinderance when walking ...Highly recommend it ... and as well the Topload zoom AW ...which I should have gotten because of the all weather cover ..oh well!

Good Luck!

Night Fire
12-20-2004, 04:54 AM
I ended up getting the Lowepro Nova 2, and it handles the camera plus a few accessories quite well. There looks like enough room for a flash and all the other bits and peices, but its not big enough to hold alot of stuff. I wish I had gone for the Nova 3 as it is a bit deeper, but the same height and width. But a great bag otherwise, and would be good for those that don't intend on getting lots of extras.

JavaDan
12-31-2004, 08:46 PM
For those of you looking for a small and light case to tote around the FZ15/20, I got the Lowepro Rezo TLZ10. It is a perfect fit for either shoulder or belt usage.

StanStan
01-02-2005, 07:21 AM
found at walmart a carrier which is an excellent match for the kit i have accumulated so far. it is well padded, less than $30.00. only thing not to like is the single plastic latch holding the fold-over top closed (which thus must support the entire weight of bag and contents; i'm just not too fond of these plastic latches, as i have had one or two break.)

the bag bears markins for 'sony' and 'handycam' (i pitched the tag so i cannot provide model number or maker). it is about 6 x 6 x 12 inches, dimensions not includeing the two zippered end pouches. also one zippered front pouch which the top cover laps over.

the fz20 has a pemaraal extender and 62mm hoya neutral filter on most of the time. it goes in the right side of the bag, camera on its left side. the plastic case the filter came in is just the right height to support the lens horizontally (with a bit of padding between). a velco divider keeps the camera from shifting left. the height of the bag is just right to hold vertically.

against the left wall of the bag is the 62mm hama 92962 collapsable rubber lens hood in it's plastic case, but with 67-62mm reduction ring, hoya 62mm polarizer, and lens cap attached. (these replace the neutral filter on the pemaraal extender when needed.)

in the space between camera and lens hood are cables for the camera and card reader. batteries, charger, memory, card reader, carrying straps (not normally used) are in the exterior pouches. greycards and instruction book slip into an exterior slot on the back of the bag.

I may like the bag. If you have the sales receipt will you post the number. Walmart is quite a distance from me but I'll go if I know what I am looking for. Thanks
StanStan

tudacee
01-02-2005, 10:13 AM
I've heard so much good about the Panasonic Camera FZ-20...considering one for myself...gave a Sony to my son, but think I might go with the Panasonic.

enjoy it in its new home.

dee

Jesuswon
01-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Like my previous post everything fits in my Topload zoom2 Lowepro ... phayee, hood, 3 batteries, memory, wide angle lens, cables and my new Sunpak 383 ... great bag fits everything

arghman
01-03-2005, 03:52 PM
I am using a Tamrac 4392 (http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&context=&keyword=4392&searchSection=All) from circuit city; it's a pretty snug fit for minimalists but recently realized it doesn't have a zipper closure -- so I would *not* recommend it.

I may get a 5200 Micro Explorer like bradbuser suggested, but I'll wait for 5-6 months before getting another bag so I can see what accessories I tend to use.

Glamourdiesel
01-03-2005, 05:16 PM
I bought a Naneu Pro (http://www.naneupro.com/product/lima.htm) and I absolutely love it. Plenty of space for everything I need and it isn't huge. I highly reccomend it for fz-20. ;)

jaynads
01-04-2005, 02:14 PM
I found a company called M-Rock - http://www.m-rock.com/ - they sell on Campmor. They seem well constructed and come with most of the accessories you pay extra with the others. I especially like that it easily converts from over-the-shoulder to backpack. The Cascade is an excellent fit for the FZ20 with the lens adaptor attaached, anything larger accomodates that and gear. I bought the Cascade and the Grand Canyon (The former for everyday, the latter for traveling). I love the lens cradle in the Grand Canyon. I don't know why I don't see more about this company, even in photo mag ads.

junji98
01-04-2005, 04:40 PM
just got me a lumix fz20 over the holidays and i am very very happy. it's a great camera! i am from canada, and i purchased the lowepro omni sport to house the lumix. i got it from Henry's. it fits the camera well and has ample space for the extras.

...now to shoot some pictures...

Night Fire
01-05-2005, 01:20 AM
Whilst not technically a bag, but it is a cosy home :) , I received an email update from www.digideep.com that said they have a underwater housing for the FZ20. I haven't looked at it myself yet, but I'm sure someone would love to take underwater photos using the '20 or '10.

tintop
01-05-2005, 08:26 AM
If anyone is after a small bag that holds just the camera with a Phayee adaptor and spare memory and batteries, then I would suggest taking a look at the Tamrac Digital Series 5683. I had one to hold my old Kodak DC4800 and the FZ20 just fits with the adaptor attached. There is enough room in the front pocket for a couple of spare memory cards and batteries, and the USB lead at a push.

The main compartment is zipped and has a flap that folds over to offer more protection.

If anyone is interested, I'll post some pictures of it with the FZ20 inside.

The version currently on sale looks the same, but has the flag system which mine doesn't. http://www.tamrac.com/5683.htm

rschofield
01-05-2005, 08:32 AM
Whilst not technically a bag, but it is a cosy home :) , I received an email update from www.digideep.com that said they have a underwater housing for the FZ20. I haven't looked at it myself yet, but I'm sure someone would love to take underwater photos using the '20 or '10.

Night Fire,

I, too, received that notification from digideep. Unfortunately, if you go to their home page and follow the links for any of the FZ series cameras, it returns "At the moment there is no housing available for this camera."

However, if you go directly to the links contained in the notification, (while they do not mention the FZ's specifically) these housings will support the FZ10/15/20.

- ewa-marine D-AX
http://www.digideep.com/product.php?pType=housing&mID=10&pID=594
- ewa-marine D-A
http://www.digideep.com/product.php?pType=housing&mID=10&pID=595

The http://www.ewa-marine.com/ website has all the specifics on these and other housings for the FZ1/2/3.

Dick

Simon Booth
01-06-2005, 05:01 AM
I just finished a week's skiing with my FZ-20 and I carried it around with me in a Lowepro Orion Trekker rucksack (http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/classic/Orion_Trekker.aspx).

The rucksack and camera felt nice and secure the whole time and I managed to get pretty quick at getting the camera in and out. It was great having the camera all the time while skiing - was able to take pictures like this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonbooth/3013462/).

MikeCamp
01-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Night Fire,

I, too, received that notification from digideep. Unfortunately, if you go to their home page and follow the links for any of the FZ series cameras, it returns "At the moment there is no housing available for this camera."

However, if you go directly to the links contained in the notification, (while they do not mention the FZ's specifically) these housings will support the FZ10/15/20.

- ewa-marine D-AX
http://www.digideep.com/product.php?pType=housing&mID=10&pID=594
- ewa-marine D-A
http://www.digideep.com/product.php?pType=housing&mID=10&pID=595

The http://www.ewa-marine.com/ website has all the specifics on these and other housings for the FZ1/2/3.

Dick

I'd like to find one of these... I found this on a Jap site. > http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~km01-div/fz10.jpg

rschofield
01-06-2005, 11:50 AM
I'd like to find one of these... I found this on a Jap site.

Could you provide a link? Thanks.

Dick

MikeCamp
01-06-2005, 12:04 PM
sure > http://www.rim.or.jp/

good luck translating it :D

NYC Jim
01-13-2005, 08:40 AM
i've chosen the lowepro "off trail 1" because i wanted the small size with a built-in belt. this bag allows "velcro-on" lens bags so that it can grow with my hobby.

the camera fits great, but i find the belt-strap a bit uncomfortable, and difficult to adjust on the fly.

now i am thinking about the tamrac 5201, because of the "Tuck-A-Way™ hip belt" it's a bigger size, but if it's more comfortabe and easy to adjust, i'm ok with that.

would any 5201 owners comment on the hip-belt comfort, on-the fly adjustability, and anything else about the bag (that isn't already in this thread)?

also, any other small bags out there with built-in belt straps?

andyn
01-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Picked up a Lowepro TLZ mini at a camera fair at the weekend for the princely sum of £4! :) It has a built in belt loop but the camera's awfully heavy when hooked onto your belt. It also has hand grip and shoulder strap. Seems well made - it has a couple of small pockets - enough for battery, cards and a couple of filters. Camera fits snugly with or without Raynox adapter and if you put the original 2 piece lens hood into the bottom of the bag it will carry that as well (the camera is too long for the bag with the hood fitted). Only need something bigger if I'm carrying a flash as well. Seems so strange after carrying tons of 35mm kit around with me.... Regards Andy

sgoldste01
01-25-2005, 09:26 AM
i've chosen the lowepro "off trail 1" because i wanted the small size with a built-in belt. this bag allows "velcro-on" lens bags so that it can grow with my hobby.

the camera fits great, but i find the belt-strap a bit uncomfortable, and difficult to adjust on the fly.

now i am thinking about the tamrac 5201, because of the "Tuck-A-Way™ hip belt" it's a bigger size, but if it's more comfortabe and easy to adjust, i'm ok with that.

would any 5201 owners comment on the hip-belt comfort, on-the fly adjustability, and anything else about the bag (that isn't already in this thread)?

also, any other small bags out there with built-in belt straps?
Does anyone know how well the Tamrac 5201 will hold an FZ20 with a Pameraal adapter attached, and also additional accessories like a big flash (Vivitar 285HV), the FZ's battery charger and a couple of batteries, another charger for AA batteries (for the flash) and those extra batteries?

Thanks, Steve

croghanrt
01-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Panasonic Canada has a custom case for the FZ20. I have one on the way from a distributor in Montreal. It is called a LUMIXCASE20. Check it out on this web site. Cost is $39.00 cdn ($30.00 US) plus shipping. A little pricey but hopefully worth it.

http://www.panasonic.ca/English/aud...accessories.asp

If you are interested call Jean-Paul at 514-352-9071 X261

gary_hendricks
02-14-2005, 07:23 AM
Hi,

try the Lowepro range, especially the TLZ1, TLZ10 and even the TLZ20. They all look good quality and weather proof.

Im thinking of going for the TLZ20 myself.

Is the TLZ20 good? I've heard good stuff about it.

sgoldste01
02-14-2005, 04:06 PM
I just bought a Tamrac Velocity 5 bag. Nice, slim profile, so it's not as bulky looking as many bags on the market. Just **barely** big enough to fit my FZ20 with the Pemaraal adapter installed; my big Vivitar 285HV flash; the Panasonic battery charger; a AA battery charger for the flash's batteries; one extra FZ battery; 8 extra AA batteries; and a few other small accessories. $41 on Amazon. Nice quality bag.

gary_hendricks
02-20-2005, 01:50 AM

It is in need of a safe comfortable, but not too big home! Any suggestions? It is really hard to try and picture it based on simple dimentions. And with some many of you all having got the FZ-20 or FZ-10 I thought first hand advice would be better :)

I am looking to house the camera, couple of SD cards, couple of batteries, couple of filters and a Pemaraal PA62 adaptor & Hama 62mm Lens Hood - which I hope to be able to leave on

I'm also looking for a case for future use. Probably go for the Tamrac series.

Ronin005
03-10-2005, 08:44 PM
noticed that this one here will work for the fz20 according to the chart. not sure how accurate those charts are with space, as in are the bags going to be tight or what not.

http://www.tamrac.com/5696.htm

shu246
03-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Here is the Sony Handycam (videocamera?) bag I found at Walmart. Well stocked photo stores are non-existent in this part of Texas, and a carrier for my FZ20 is the kind of thing I dislike to buy sight unseen.

The camera (with pemaraal adapter, skylight filter, and lens cap) rests on its left side supported by the empty filter case and a divider cushion. There is another divider (not shown in the layout) to separate camera from other stuff (card reader, cables, hama rubber lens hood with polarizer) in the main compartment.

Charger, batteries, memory, straps, lens tissue, and other stuff fill out the front and side pockets. Owners manual and grey card are in document slot at the rear of the bag.

Actually there is room for an external flash on the left side of main compartment by moving stuff there to the front and side pockets.

emalvick
03-21-2005, 10:30 AM
I recently purchased a FZ-15 and during the past weekend went to the local Fry's and got a nice case for it.

I bought a Lowepro Edit 160 camera bag. It has a good size and padding. There is an interior divider and an false bottom for storing a few extra goodies. Currently, I have the camera sitting in there on its base (it'll fit in any direction you want). On the other side of the divider, I have the supplied hood and adapter and the battery charger. The main compartment has a zipper and a flap to snap it down. A shoulder strap is supplied. I'll probably buy a better one as it seems a bit cheap, and it isn't too comfortable. There is a front pocket where I am keeping the cables for the camera for now, and where I will try to keep my filters. The size pockets are where I am keeping the spare batteries and a SD card reader. Under the camera and false bottom, I am storing the manuals for the camera and the supplied disk (in case I need the drivers for anything). The SD cards fit nicely in the little pocket under the lid.

It is a decent case. It seems as good as any of the Targus cases. It isn't too bulky, and I am pretty sure that it would hold a modest amount of accessories. An added lens would fit, and with a little maneuvering one could do a lot. All that, and it was a nice price. (I found it at Fry's and have seen it on Amazon).

-Erik

jgamble
04-15-2005, 10:31 AM
I recently purchased a Tamrac 5315 Travel Zoom 5 for my FZ20. It is just the right size. I keep my PEMARAAL PA62H on the front with the hood out and it fits perfectly. My batteries, charger, closeup lense, filters, and memory cards all fit nicely in a well padded compact case. It was around $22 from BHPhotoVideo. Give it a try if you're looking for something compact.

Camille
05-13-2005, 11:35 PM
I have the Lowepro Nova Mini which holds everything - even the manual. I have a Pemeraal on the front and can leave it on w no problems. Though when traveling I like to keep my camera stuff in an Eagle Creek bag that does not look like a camera bag and therefore does not scream out "Steal me - Steal me". It may look a little girlie girl for you macho types but it is nice in that it goes bandolere (sp?) style and the camera is ready to use in an instant. Sneaky but great for those unposed shots on the road.
Toodles,
Camille

gkrieg
05-26-2005, 12:55 PM
I found a company called M-Rock - http://www.m-rock.com/ - they sell on Campmor. They seem well constructed and come with most of the accessories you pay extra with the others. I especially like that it easily converts from over-the-shoulder to backpack. The Cascade is an excellent fit for the FZ20 with the lens adaptor attaached, anything larger accomodates that and gear. I bought the Cascade and the Grand Canyon (The former for everyday, the latter for traveling). I love the lens cradle in the Grand Canyon. I don't know why I don't see more about this company, even in photo mag ads.

I also purchased an M-Rock for my FZ15. The bag I chose was the Appalachian. It is a perfect fit for the camera with no lenses attached. If you want to attach a lense, M-Rock has a supercool system for attaching seperate lens bags to the side of this bag. The bag also includes a built in waterproof nylon cover. These bags are the most well designed I have ever seen with features out the wazoo. I highly reccommen a visit to their site (http://www.m-rock.com/).

ALAS-KAINE
07-13-2005, 03:53 PM
I just received my DMC FZ20 and would like to buy a pouch for her. I want something compact.
I check the Tamrac 514 and this is more or less what I want, Tamrac said is for a digital camera with 3 inches zoom lens.
I would like to hear if some one has one and how will compare with the Lowepro Rezo TLZ10.

http://www.tamrac.com/welcome.htm

Dana Martinez
07-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Not being made of money, I have my camera housed in a diaper bag, lined inside with bubble wrap. Honestly. It has a number of pockets for things like extra memory cards, lens hood, lens cap, bug repellant, etc., and it's light weight and weather resistant. Oh, and it's black - a friend dubbed it "the Addams Family diaper bag." And another plus: No one's going to mug you for your diapers, right? :D

rschofield
07-21-2005, 11:17 AM
I check the Tamrac 514 and this is more or less what I want, Tamrac said is for a digital camera with 3 inches zoom lens.
I would like to hear if some one has one and how will compare with the Lowepro Rezo TLZ10.

Alas-Kaine,

I have the "Tek by Tamrac" 4314 camera case which I think is very similar (if not identical) to the Tamrac 514. My FZ20 with Chen adapter (same as Phayee) fits perfectly. You can see it at the following web address, though it is available at other places (both web-based and store-front):

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=66290&WT.mc_n=93&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=BIZRATE&cm_pla=DATAFEED-%3EPRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=93

There's an internal pocket that I use for a spare battery and SD card. There's also an external pocket that I occasionally use for filters (close-up, polarizer, etc.). I specifically picked this model because it can be zipped closed to protect whatever is inside from the elements outside. (Not all camera cases do this.) I don't always zip it up but I can (and do) whenever I'm transporting it long distances.

--
Dick
http://rschofield.smugmug.com/

dingpatch
08-01-2005, 06:54 PM
My FZ20 fits nice and snug in a Lowepro Rezo 140 AW. The built in pull-out-and-over rain cover is an added bonus, especially here in Florida.

The 72mm filter case lays flat on the left bottom, the lens hood lays on top of it, facing up, with the first divider over that. The lens hood adapter semi-cradels on top of the hood, with the case's fabric cover over that. The camera fits on the right side, hand grip down, with the lens pointing to the left, butting up against the hood adapter. The second divider goes over the adapter on the left side with the shoulder strap laying on top of it. There is room in the interior velcro'd pocket, in the camera section, for two spare batteries and two SD card cases. The exterior compartment has room for the charger, cables, a cleaning kit and other assorted things.

dehr
08-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Is the Lowepro Rezo 140 AW better than the Orion Trekker II?

I saw the Orion on www.sweetdeal.ca, but I'm not sure which is more worth it..

AlwaysLikedPanasonic
11-09-2005, 12:36 AM
I found the LowePro edit 120 is a perfect fit for my 15 with a hood.Only cost $19.99

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Shoulder_Bags/designed_digital/Edit_120.aspx

Phill D
11-09-2005, 04:25 PM
I use a Lowpro Edit 110 it's a very nice snug fit providing you don't want to carry any accessories. Batteries & cards can be carried OK though.

Honest Gaza
11-10-2005, 02:45 AM
Lowepro Nova Micro AW...perfect fit for FZ20 with Lens Hood attached.
Samll pocket at front for Batteries, SD Cards, Remote Cable etc.

Can post pictures if requested.

StanStan
11-10-2005, 05:36 AM

I am looking to house the camera, couple of SD cards, couple of batteries, couple of filters and a Pemaraal PA62 adapter & Hama 62mm Lens Hood - which I hope to be able to leave on

I use a TEK Digital by tamrac, 4396, from Circuit City. It is as small as possible and still be useful. I don't use the supplied shoulder strap.
I put my FZ20/Phayee adapter/Hama Hood/batteries filters/cards etc in with a little room to spare.
Stan

monkee
12-01-2005, 08:03 AM
I also use Lowepro Nova Mini. The cam fits perfectly and there is enough space for batteries, charger, etc. It can be attached to a belt as well.

Seal8
01-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Have now got a number of candidate that should all fit the FZ20 with room for tele lens, flash and accessories.

Tamrac 5201 Explorer 1
Tamrac 5211 Mini Explorer
Tamrac 5745 Velocity 5 - shoulder fit with waist fitting

CCS Gladstone Micro
CCS Hippo

All these are not too big and can be used over the shoulder or around your waist.

Just purchased the Tamrac 5201. I have the basic Panasonic Lumix DMX FZ 15, I understand is the same size as the FZ20.
The camera case is very nice and of high quality. All the basic stuff fits and I have 2 extra batteries and an NC 72mm lens.
Snug fit but well done case. I've kept the adaptor and lens hood on and it fits the bag. I'm happy with it but if you have extra lenses or adaptors you probably should look for a larger case such as the 5202.
Very nice camera case for the money. Paid $32.00. Fits my needs.
Can wear it over the shoulder or around the waist.

WildWinds
01-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Would anyone have recommendations for a durable camera backpack? I'm looking at the Orion II (the original as well). Has anyone bought these packs and would be able to tell me a bit more about them? Are they easy to manuever, comfortable, do straps get in your way?

The camera I have is the FZ5 and I plan on putting it in the bag with the lens adapter and hood. I'd like room for filters, possibly an extra lens, extra batteries and SD cards.

The most important factor would be accessibility, how quick I can get the camera in and out. The Orion II looks like it might be the right pack for me but I'd still like some feedback before I go ahead and make a purchase.

Thanks!

MoD
04-02-2006, 11:32 AM
I finally bought a camera bag, almost a year after getting my FZ20. I was pointed in the right direction in this thread, so I thought I'd share my findings for those of you that are still looking.

It's not the perfect bag for me, but it's pretty close. I do mostly nature photography, so I was looking for something small and light. I bought the Case Logic TBC7. I don't carry accessories, so the size is just right. If you want to carry a flash and stuff like that, this is not the bag for you.

Picture: http://www.ldlc.fr/screenshots/PB00036404.html

I bought it at Circuit City (US). They really had a wide variety of bags to choose from. I saw a lot of the bags mentioned here that I was interested in, but the features on this one beat all the others out in my opinion. They had the big leather Samsonite bag on sale for $15. That's a pretty good bargain. My tiny bag was about $25.

One of the main features I was looking for was the convertible waist strap. I looked at the Tamrac and Lowepro, but the main thing I didn't like about them was the way it opened at the top. I realize that would be a nice feature in the rain, but it's not often I go out in the rain with the camera. If I did, I could just take a small plastic bag with me. The lid on those seemed too cumbersome, and I don't care for the little plastic clip that is used to fasten it shut. It seems like it would eventually break and it's just awkward to me. I want to be able to grab my camera fast if need be. The TBC7 is zippered. A lot of camera bags use velcro, which amazes me. Velcro is way too noisy for nature photography. The TBC7 has one piece of velcro on an inside pocket, but almost all of the bags out there do. The TBC7 also has a handle for carrying, which is useful if you're just putting the bag in the car or whatever.

The downsides:

1- the fabric is a bit rough on the bottom of the carrying handle.
2- the base does not have much cushioning. I'll probably add some more.
3- Case Logic makes another bag that has stiff, hard walls that would resist any kind of damage. I really wanted something like that, but they only offer it in one design that isn't very functional.

Thanks for your help! I love this board. You guys are great.

Oh, I also bought a SanDisk 5-in-1 card reader/writer on Genece's recommendation. He didn't recommend that particular brand or model, he actually recommended one from Walmart, but I don't shop at Walmart because they're evil. Not supporting their evilness cost me an extra $10. The one I got was $20.