PDA

View Full Version : Please help me choose from 6 cameras

trax
07-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Hi everyone, you all seem a heck of a lot more knowledgeable than I, so I'm sure you can help with this. :)

My fiancee is in a rewards program through her job, where you get points to be redeemed for free stuff. So I figured this would be a good way to replace our Fuji Finepix 1300. These are our choices for free cameras:

Canon Powershot A75
Fuji Finepix S3000
Minolta Dimage f300
Nikon Coolpix 3200
Nikon Coolpix 4300
Sony Cybershot DSC-P92

Image quality is what concerns me most. Although I'm a novice, I like the fact that the A75 and the Minolta allow many things to be controlled manually. Movie mode is nice but not truly important. Battery and memory types are also secondary concerns. Everything else I'm not knowledgeable enough about to know any better, which is where you folks come in. :)

Right now I'm leaning towards the A75 since everyone seems to love it so much. Essentially, I just want to be certain that by going with the A75, I'm not going to be kicking myself down the road because one of the other cameras is better in some important aspect that I didn't think about. The Fuji has the advantage of 6x zoom, but it's big and bulky, xD seems to cost a lot more than CF, and I'm skeptical of the image quality. The Sony is a 5MP camera, but again, Memory Stick seems to cost a lot more than CF so I'm hesitant. The Nikon 4300 seems to be very good, but its age concerns me a bit because I'm not sure how it truly stacks up to the others. The Nikon 3200 seems to stack up well with the A75 but perhaps comes up a bit short, and the Minolta's MP is better but doesn't seem like it stacks up as well in terms of image quality. (Please note that these opinions were generally formed by the reviews I've read, and absolutely no personal experience whatsoever, so I could be way off base.)

So what do you folks think? Thanks in advance :)

John_Reed
07-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Canon Powershot A75
Fuji Finepix S3000
Minolta Dimage f300
Nikon Coolpix 3200
Nikon Coolpix 4300
Sony Cybershot DSC-P92

If you're wondering why you've gotten no response, it's because your list is too long. Try doing more of your own homework, and reducing the list down to at most 3 cameras, and maybe you'll get some help.

Jake Conner
07-18-2004, 06:54 PM
Get one of the two with manual controls, you'll need em eventually. Get the Minolta you want small size, get the Canon if you want expandabliity.

Jake