PDA

View Full Version : Love it but

RevJonG
10-29-2004, 05:03 AM
I just bought a FZ20 and I love it. Quite an upgrade from my kodak dc5000! I took pictures at a football game and I am amazed at the focus and clarity. I do have a question though, where can I get information on the ac adapter? Is it possible to get a matching adapter from somewhere other then Panasonic ($65 :eek: ). I don't care if it charges a battery I just want to use it at home to save the battery.
Also what is the best manner to use the battery? Let it fully discharge before charging? Keep it fully charged like a pda?

Thanks
Jon

Jayde
10-29-2004, 06:17 AM
RevJonG
Hi
Congrats on FZ20.. :) damn fine bit o kit hehe
i dont know for certain, but doubt you will get another charger cept from pana.. ebay maybe..
best thing is get xtra batterys from battery barn here.. 3 for the w/end :0
they last longr btw..

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/

you cant hurt the battery so charge it whenever .. u need :)

more info on adaptors / lens here ..
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1314

have fun..

LStoner
10-29-2004, 10:36 AM
I just bought a FZ20 and I love it. Quite an upgrade from my kodak dc5000! I took pictures at a football game and I am amazed at the focus and clarity. I do have a question though, where can I get information on the ac adapter? Is it possible to get a matching adapter from somewhere other then Panasonic ($65 :eek: ). I don't care if it charges a battery I just want to use it at home to save the battery.
Also what is the best manner to use the battery? Let it fully discharge before charging? Keep it fully charged like a pda?

Thanks
Jon

Hi Jon,
I called Panasonic and they said you do not have to discharge the batter before putting it on the charger again. I wondered that myself because my friend, who used to reace RC cars said he had to discharge his batteries. Anyway, just throw it on the charger whenever you want.

-Lee Ann

D70FAN
10-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Hi Jon,
I called Panasonic and they said you do not have to discharge the batter before putting it on the charger again. I wondered that myself because my friend, who used to reace RC cars said he had to discharge his batteries. Anyway, just throw it on the charger whenever you want.

-Lee Ann

A note for future reference:

Most digital cameras, using prorietary batteries, use Lithium Ion chemistry (LiIon). The nice thing about LiIon is that it has no charge/memory characteristics, and it can hold a charge, in storage, for a longer period (much slower self discharge).

Your friends RC car probably used Nickle-Cadmium chemistry (NiCad) battery packs. NiCad is notorious for charge/memory problems, where if you charged the battery before it was almost completely discharged it would not fully charge the next time, and eventually charge capacity would deteriorate to an unusable level.

In order to "recondition" NiCad batteries you occasionally have to completely discharge and recharge the battery. Even worse, this did not always work depending on the age of the battery. In addition NiCad has a relatively fast 50% self discharge time of 30-45 days. To be fair this is 40 year old rechargeable battery technology, and is still handier than Lead-Acid technology.

Newer rechargeable "standard" (AAA, AA, C, D) cells use Nicke-Metal-Hydride chemistry (NiMH) which will still self discharge like NiCad, but does not have the charge/memory characteristics, so you can charge them anytime in the discharge cycle without penalty. AND can leave them on trickle-charge without a problem.

That long winded explaination is to affirm that your LiIon FZ20 battery will not have the same memory/discharge problems as other chemistries. Also I recommend that you buy a couple of spare batteries, and a USB2.0 card reader rather than keeping the camera tethered to an AC adapter. As long as you turn it off there is no reason to plug it in.

Hope this helps.