PDA

View Full Version : Parameter settings on the Dreb

Mike Woods
10-29-2004, 05:02 AM
Have any other members on this board experimented with different Parameter settings on their drebs? I have only used Parameter 1, but I am curious if other settings, Parameter 2, or some other custom settings make sharper more detailed photos. Not that I am disappointed with my results at all, just curious what other users are doing and always trying to improve and learn.

meng-chieh
10-31-2004, 12:46 AM
Have any other members on this board experimented with different Parameter settings on their drebs? I have only used Parameter 1, but I am curious if other settings, Parameter 2, or some other custom settings make sharper more detailed photos. Not that I am disappointed with my results at all, just curious what other users are doing and always trying to improve and learn.

I used Parameter 1 for a week or so, then switched to Parameter 2. Call me picky/paranoid, but I think Parameter 2 actually produced better-looking images when viewed via a computer monitor.

Another thing. When shooting pictures of the sky, you might noticed some strange dots that appear, and while you may think that those are unclean lens/sensor (and you might be right), more often than not they're simply artifacts that appear with Canon's sensor.

D70FAN
10-31-2004, 07:56 AM
I used Parameter 1 for a week or so, then switched to Parameter 2. Call me picky/paranoid, but I think Parameter 2 actually produced better-looking images when viewed via a computer monitor.

Another thing. When shooting pictures of the sky, you might noticed some strange dots that appear, and while you may think that those are unclean lens/sensor (and you might be right), more often than not they're simply artifacts that appear with Canon's sensor.

Just out of curiousity what kind of artifacts?

meng-chieh
10-31-2004, 05:14 PM
Just out of curiousity what kind of artifacts?

Visit my site and look under COLLECTION 2 at IMG_1381 UBC SUNSET PIC. On the top right hand side you'll see a little faint dot.

www.meng-chieh.fotopic.net

eagle17
11-01-2004, 11:53 AM
looks like sensor dust to me...

meng-chieh
11-01-2004, 03:17 PM
looks like sensor dust to me...

Only that it's gone in a subsequent shot. It comes and goes.

D70FAN
11-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Visit my site and look under COLLECTION 2 at IMG_1381 UBC SUNSET PIC. On the top right hand side you'll see a little faint dot.

www.meng-chieh.fotopic.net

Definately looks like there are a couple of dust specs on the sensor. These can come and go with air/mirror movement sometimes. You might want to have the camera cleaned. Some local camera repair stores will do this service for $35 to $50. My local shop is Tempe Camera Repair.

meng-chieh
11-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Definately looks like there are a couple of dust specs on the sensor. These can come and go with air/mirror movement sometimes. You might want to have the camera cleaned. Some local camera repair stores will do this service for $35 to $50. My local shop is Tempe Camera Repair.

Does your repair store cover their cleaning with a warranty? I'm afraid that mine will clean the camera and accidently damage the CMOS sensor...

jamison55
11-03-2004, 05:16 PM
It is not as hard to clean the sensor as you think. A small blower bulb should dislodge your dust without touching the sensor. I have successfully removed dust a couple of times using this method!

D70FAN
11-04-2004, 07:57 AM
It is not as hard to clean the sensor as you think. A small blower bulb should dislodge your dust without touching the sensor. I have successfully removed dust a couple of times using this method!

Actually I have noticed that most sensor dust (in the D70) will be dislodged by the mirror movement and generally goes away in 1 or 2 cycles. Since I live in almost perpetual clear blue sky, testing the camera frequently is no problem.

That said, an occasional professional cleaning is worth the minor cost. This is true for film SLR's as well.

Meng-Chieh...

Most camera repair facilities will guarantee their work for 30-90 days depending on the service. Always ask for something in writing just to make sure. If not go somewhere else.

suemccartin
11-24-2004, 07:22 AM
I like full saturation and lots of contrast. I use that when shooting daylight. I shot about 300 pictures in a gynasium under sodium/mercury vapor (not sure which it was) using the 550ex speedlight and they all came out oversaturated with very, very yellow backgrounds (the walls are white and gray) photoshop dropped the saturation and they got a lot better but this is still something I need to cure, my canon G2 doesn't do the same thing with shots in the same gym and the same lighting (but using 380EX speedlight) --the backgrounds are correct on the G2.

It's like the camera was white balancing for the subject and the extra saturation set in the menus was messing up the backgrounds. I'll remember to go back to normal next time.