PDA

View Full Version : Possible to use TZ1 prism technology in future FZ models?

C.Spronken
04-03-2006, 03:03 PM
I was wondering if it would be possible to use TZ1 prism technology in future FZ models? The reason I'm asking is because I'm seriously considering buying the TZ1 (still waiting for a review from at least one of the big three and for it to become available in Europe).

I really like the TZ1 because it seems have a lot of features I find useful:

IS
10x zoom
compact
better noise control (yet to be confirmed in review)
good LCD
great movie mode, with silent zoom and wide resolution
marine case option

However I'm somewhat concerned that this camera is merely the first Panasonic camera with the prism technology and that perhaps future models in the FZ series will get this technology as well. I'm thinking of a camera like:

IS
16x zoom
about FZ7 size
FZ7 amount of manual options
Electronic viewfinder
good LCD
FUJI F30 sized sensor with according noise levels
great movie mode, with silent zoom and wide resolution

So using the prism technology to compensate for a larger sensor by shrinking the lens part, keeping it's size roughly the same. Sounds like a killer cam to me and I'm a bit worried that after buying the TZ1 Panasonic might release something like that as an possible FZ8 towards the end of this year. I know improvements happen all the time and you can't keep waiting for each improvement, but a camera like the one descibed above sounds perfect to me. So would such a camera be possible and would it be any good or merely have good specs?

genece
04-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Have you seen any good photos from that camera yet?

C.Spronken
04-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Have you seen any good photos from that camera yet?

Most of the TZ1 photos I saw were linked from this forum. Noice performance seems to be a bit better than FZ7, but I'm no expert. I just love the movie mode. I'm a windsurfer and like to take shots from friends as well. For that the large zoom in a compact camera is nice and the zoomable wide angle video only makes it better.