PDA

View Full Version : Considering FZ10 or FZ20

Turbosloth
10-28-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm on the market for a camera. The FZ line seems in line with my budget.
But I'm having a couple of second thoughts about the FZ20, specifically regarding noise. I have seen loads of pictures, especially ones with the sky in them, that have very noticeable noise.

Meanwhile the FZ10 seems like my best bet. I've seen 100's of photos taken with one, and there's no noticeable noise. But they've been discontinued, and I'd likely have to settle for a used one....

Are there any good ways to combat FZ20 noise without degrading quaity and sharpness? Does noise reduction even work?

Thanks.

Jayde
10-29-2004, 01:57 AM
hi
;)
What about the FZ15 thats same 4mp as FZ10 with same sharp images, and all the new fast features of the 20, theres no flash bracket but you can buy a slave flash instead.. Vivitar DF200 works ok.. comments @ steves forum.
new review
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz15.html

look for many recent FZ15 posts here to compare etc...
btw
You can use a slave flash vivitar df200...

419$ hehe.. :cool:

RobertJ
10-29-2004, 05:18 AM
I'm on the market for a camera. The FZ line seems in line with my budget.
But I'm having a couple of second thoughts about the FZ20, specifically regarding noise. I have seen loads of pictures, especially ones with the sky in them, that have very noticeable noise.

Bear in mind that nearly all pictures on the net have been re-sized (quality downgraded) from that of the original taken by the camera in order to load quicker.

Probably the only way to get a true comparison is to compare prints (if that's what you intend to do with your pics) from both cameras.

I have an FZ20 and am very pleased with it - as I have seen many others on this forum are too. Although, I have also seen one or two people who prefer the FZ10. I think from the feature comparison of the two, then I am more than happy to have the FZ20.

I'm sure others will agree..... and also disagree ;)

Payne
10-29-2004, 11:25 AM
The FZ10 and the FZ15 have very low noise levels, but there's a a couple of things to consider before deciding wich of them to buy.
1. FZ10 has a hot shoe flash - FZ15 does not have it.
2. FZ10 saturates colors a bit more.
3. FZ10 is capable to record movies with sound.
4. FZ10 has a little and uncomfortable grip - the FZ15 and FZ20 grip is great.
5. FZ10 lets you set Iso 50 and FZ15 Iso 64, but both of them show very noise levels.
6. IMO FZ15 has sharper images than FZ10 does.
And thats all.....About the FZ20 noise - Its a shame that Panasonic had not included Iso 64 or 50....if in the near future Panasonic releases a firmware update fixing this issue, definitively the FZ20 would be unbeatable....but for now, the FZ10 and FZ15 have the best image quality.
Anyway, FZ1v2, FZ3, FZ10, FZ15, and FZ20 Rocks.

Jayde
10-29-2004, 12:54 PM
hey payne
howcome the 15 is sharper, its same setup.. ?
any proof plz..

Payne
10-29-2004, 01:32 PM
My opinion is according to the recent preview that Steve has posted on his site (check out thoroughly the image outlines at their full size) .....I consider that differences between those DCs are marginal.....both have great image quality.....I have an FZ10 and Im very satisfied with the results and I do not plan to upgrade to the new FZs, however its probably I buy the FZ1 as a spare DC. - why??? 'cos it is smaller than the FZ10 and with the new firmware update I can play with shutter speed and aperture.

As I typed on my former post, I would buy the FZ20 if Panasonic releases a firmware that that fixes the "Iso" matters - I do not buy the FZ15 'cos I need the hot shoe.

Best regards,

Turbosloth
10-29-2004, 08:03 PM
The FZ15 would be a good option, but there's no hot-shoe and it's meant for sale in America. I can't get it here, I'd have to order it.
I'm going to go with the FZ10, but the trick will be finding one first.

Jayde
10-30-2004, 03:50 AM
amazon have FZ3 now, in few weeks they will have 15 also...
you missing all the 20 features, wait a while..
u can get a slave flash... if

dont panic Mr Mannering ! :D