PDA

View Full Version : how do I make pictures from the moon

color
10-28-2004, 07:54 PM
I tried to make Pictures from the moon, but the only thing that I get is a big white Ball :D

I tried it with the night scenery mode , ISO 400 and 48 zoom, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong :confused:

thank you

HawkeyeLonewolf
10-28-2004, 10:19 PM
Well, step #1 is get to the moon. :)

PixChick
10-28-2004, 10:41 PM
I tried to make Pictures from the moon, but the only thing that I get is a big white Ball :D

I tried it with the night scenery mode , ISO 400 and 48 zoom, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong :confused:

thank you

Can you post some pics of the "big white ball" so we can see what you ended up with?

John_Reed
10-28-2004, 11:45 PM

thank youThe moon itself is very bright, reflecting the sunlight. Your "white ball" is simply the result of way over-exposing the image. Cut back on the exposure by lowering the ISO back to 80, raise the shutter speed (don't use "Night Scene" mode) to the point where you get reasonable exposure. I've shot the moon successfully at 1/250 of a second before, except maybe at eclipse time.

color
10-30-2004, 08:07 PM
The moon itself is very bright, reflecting the sunlight. Your "white ball" is simply the result of way over-exposing the image. Cut back on the exposure by lowering the ISO back to 80, raise the shutter speed (don't use "Night Scene" mode) to the point where you get reasonable exposure. I've shot the moon successfully at 1/250 of a second before, except maybe at eclipse time.

John

Here is a link to one of my pictures, I had the ISO at 80 and the shutter speed at 1/250.

the moon looks a little red and Blurry but I had my Camera on a tripod, do I need a remote to make better pictures ?

http://www.auctionpix.co.uk/users/qat663889.jpg

John_Reed
10-31-2004, 06:17 AM
the moon looks a little red and Blurry but I had my Camera on a tripod, do I need a remote to make better pictures ?A couple of things you might try, but you're getting there - no big white ball anymore!

1) If your camera is on a tripod, turn OFF the O.I.S. (stabilizer), or at least set it in "Mode 2."

2) Use the self-timer, to eliminate any shake from pushing the shutter button. With your shot all set to go, double-click the "left arrow" on the rocker button to give you 2 seconds interval, then mash the shutter button to take the shot, 2 seconds later, hands-free.

3) Use "Spot Focus."

smac
11-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Color,

You are almost there. I was out the other night trying my skills at shooting the moon. One of the problems with the moon is that is changes brightness from night to night. On Oct 30th is was over 3/4 full and still very bright. I shot a range of pics starting with the following settings. (they were suggested to me by bobc on Steve's Digicam forum and they were very helpful)

f8.0, 1/100 second, ISO 100, All Pict. Adj. settings high, tripod, used 2 second timer to prevent shake, IS mode off and contrast set to high as well. Then I only changed the shutter speed. If you change too many things at once you won't know what is going on. My slowest shutter speed was 1/60 all the way up to 1/250. All my pictures were decent ranging from slightly under exposed to slightly over. I have posted an example at 48X zoom. Remember, half the fun is getting there. Start with the settings I gave you keeping in mind that now the moon is showing a little less and therefore getting dimmer each night.

Good luck, Smac
:D

Hmm, I seem to be having problems uploading the picture. I will post it as soon as I finish kicking my computer. :cool:

Ah, there we go.
Good luck Color.