PDA

View Full Version : Question about Sony movie mode?

Emarc
10-28-2004, 07:29 PM
I am thinking of buying the Sony Cybershot DSC-P150 (been going back and forth between this and the Canon G6 or the Canon A95), and what seems to have sold the sony for me is its MUCH better movie mode. And I was just wondering how long a movie can I record on say 512 MB memory stick? (on 640X480 Fine or what ever the highest resolution is). Thanks in advance.

Johnjp
11-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Hello,
I was quite surprised to learn myself after buying a sony dsc-w1 that with a Memory Pro 512Mb stick (Pro is required to record in fine mode) it is only possible to record exactly 6 minutes and 2 seconds! - assuming you have an empty stick!! (other settings deliver 21 minutes of 640 standard quality, or nearly 6 hours of 160 "email" resolution).
I dont know why `they` don`t use the same video compression system as a vcd that fits about 40 minutes of good quality onto a 600Mb cd???

smarter_child
11-30-2004, 03:33 PM
I am thinking of buying the Sony Cybershot DSC-P150 (been going back and forth between this and the Canon G6 or the Canon A95), and what seems to have sold the sony for me is its MUCH better movie mode. And I was just wondering how long a movie can I record on say 512 MB memory stick? (on 640X480 Fine or what ever the highest resolution is). Thanks in advance.
On a 512MB memory stick, the exact capacity depends on what you're shooting. Expect about 6 minutes. However, if you're not shooting action (e.g. if you're taking a video of someone lecturing), you can use the Standard mode and that'll be more memory-conserving.

In my opinion, Canon's cameras have movie modes that produce more accurate color and are less grainy, but they're too short and not very smooth. With the new Digic II, however, I expect all future Canon PowerShot cameras to be able to produce awesome VGA, 30fps films to the capacity of the memory card.

I saw a sample movie from the DSC-P150 and it looked decent, though a bit fuzzy and colors less saturated than what I like.