PDA

View Full Version : Difference in SD cards for SD200

apocalypso
10-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Hi,

I'm jumping back into buying digital cameras after being away from the shopping end of them for two generations, at least. I'm the proud new owner of an SD200, (for my "pocketable" digital camera at least). Still shopping for a mid-range compact zoom.

And of course, I'm in need of an SD card which could actually hold a realistic number of shots for the SD200.

So, will the SD200 be able to take advantage of the 45X and 60X SD cards from a speed perpective? And if so, what factor or percentage difference will I experience in saving photos, relative to a "normal" SD card for each?

Thanks!

Apoc

Matthijs
10-29-2004, 07:44 AM
Faster cards are only useful for the moviemode. The 30fr/s at VGA require this speed, for taking photos it makes no difference.

Matthijs

damax452
10-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Faster cards are only useful for the moviemode. The 30fr/s at VGA require this speed, for taking photos it makes no difference.

Matthijs

I am planning on buying an SD200 for xmas and one of the main reasons im doing so is for the movie modes. So, do i definately need a high speed card? I want to be able to record to the limit of the card, and of course not have dropped frames or choppy video.

I think I will be buying a 1GB SD card, and i dont really know which are best fit for this camera

Anyone know for sure? Thanks!

damax452
10-30-2004, 01:41 PM
OK, I called Canon about this question. They say that for movie mode @ 30fps, they recommend a high speed SD card. I asked what would happen if a standard speed SD card was used. They said that you may see dropped frames or choppy video, so if you plan to use the high frame rate video modes, get a high speed card. He wasn't specific how high speed, but mentioned 30X. I'm thinking of getting a 60X one just to be sure, they aren't too much more expensive than a standard card. I may test out the card that comes with the camera first to see if its really necessary. Hope this helps.

Weatherboy
10-31-2004, 09:57 AM
So will this camera take the 1gb cards then, any idea if a 2 gig will ever been made for sd?